9 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hey guys, im interested in buying an EMU SP 1200 from ebay. but I want to know if its possible to hook it up to my computer and use it with Reason? or am I gonna have to buy a mixer and all that other stuff in order to sample and use the EMU sp 1200?

Could I just load up wav files on it from samples that I chop up on my computer, or do I need to sample a straight up record everytime from a turntable? Im pretty confused as to how it work i've been looking for info on it all day and have only found out very little info.... so I was hoping one of you guys knows how this thing works

#2 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

The SP1200 would be a stand alone unit. If you're hooking it up with Reason, that would be a $1000-1500 trigger finger. The whole point to having an SP1200 is with the 12bit sampling, which you wouldn't be getting if you were rocking MIDI with a program. Yes, you'll need an 8-track mixer, but you could rock just the 1/4" output. (but the best thing is to use the 8 outs)

#3 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

The SP1200 would be a stand alone unit. If you're hooking it up with Reason, that would be a $1000-1500 trigger finger. The whole point to having an SP1200 is with the 12bit sampling, which you wouldn't be getting if you were rocking MIDI with a program. Yes, you'll need an 8-track mixer, but you could rock just the 1/4" output. (but the best thing is to use the 8 outs)

hmmm well I really just want to use it to make my drum track, is there a way to export that drum track as a wav file or some other format to my computer from the sp1200 so that way I can put it into reason? and also is there a way to load up wav samples on it? or some other kind of format, cause I usually dont take all my samples from records, since I transfered over most of my record collection to itunes anyways. I chop up all my stuff using Recycle

#4 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

What I really want from this is that old school drum feel it gives with the 12 bit sampler, I can make all my other effects and sounds, chop up samples, etc. in Reason and Recycle all I need it for is the drum track.... although I will still probably use it to make entire tracks on it as well but I just mainly want that amazing analog and ringmod sound the drums give off, im guessing its also good for bass as well not only drums.

#5 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

As far as I know you can't import files into the SP1200. (format issues) Pretty much you sample on the SP1200 and then record it into your DAW. For a lot less money you could get an Akai S900 or an Akai S950 and midi it up to your computer. You'd still have to record your sounds into your DAW and with an S900 or S950 you'll need a MIDI trigger for the unit as well. (but you'd get the same 12bit sound for about $1000 less) PLUS the S950 has a lot of other filters and time stretching.

Or maybe an Ensoniq EPS... that's some real gritty dope ish there. That's the ish RZA used for some o.g. 36 Chambers ish.

#6 SanCarlos

SanCarlos

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

As far as I know you can't import files into the SP1200. (format issues) Pretty much you sample on the SP1200 and then record it into your DAW. For a lot less money you could get an Akai S900 or an Akai S950 and midi it up to your computer. You'd still have to record your sounds into your DAW and with an S900 or S950 you'll need a MIDI trigger for the unit as well. (but you'd get the same 12bit sound for about $1000 less) PLUS the S950 has a lot of other filters and time stretching.

Or maybe an Ensoniq EPS... that's some real gritty dope ish there. That's the ish RZA used for some o.g. 36 Chambers ish.

or some filthy straight to tape shit.

sp1200 and a 8 track.

all you need, or at least all i wish i had.

#7 newman11

newman11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

get a EMU - EMAX.
they come with keyboard or rack mount models.
tons more features than the SP1200 with the same sample engine so your drums will still be hard as f$#k.

EMAX's are super under rated. I've used ASR's, MPC's, SP12/SP1200, EMU EMAX, EMU EMULATOR & DRUMULATOR, and while i've flipped most my gear if i was to buy a setup from scratch i would get an EMU EMAX rack mount, trigger it with an AKAI MP32, and record in a Reason/Logic/Protools/Reaper, ect...

#8 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Ensoniq EPS classic can be had for 100 in the used market. You can vary sample rates from 6.25khz up to 55.0khz. You can not only do a good lo fidelity sound with this board, but you can also push thesample rate to 44.6khz and make your drums sound clear and punchy like te S950 or S1000 rack. It also has a decent sequencer that has a 384 ppq midi resolution and voltage controlled amplifier to add warmth to your samples.

I wanted an s950 at first, but this got the job done

#9 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

^^^That's what I'd suggest. (if you're on a budget) Save the cash and rock an EPS. (for what you want to do)

#10 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:47 AM

Speaking of SP1200 I threw these remixes I did up on my blog.

SP-1200 beats, recorded on an AKAI DPS12 with the vocals straight off the 12".

PEEP!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users