37 replies to this topic

#31 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

The beat is hot, before the drum machine kicks in. The original sample is so sad of a song. Dilla's has a hauntingness to it, but is not sad, more triumphant. Nice.

#32 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Dope beat. Them drums some hot shit

#33 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

So as a hypothetical and maybe some of you can help me out here, because by the grace of God and maybe my great reverence for the man who was James Yancey--i was offended by coming across a certain artist somewhere that went by the name Maydee and was a very poor DJ and producer of the crappiest proportions but made money utilizing this name and even going as far as having Maydee the Official as part of his name (and occasionally wearing lipstick or someshit) would anyone else here be outraged as am I? Would anyone join in on a campaign to speak out against this style jacker? Let's just say that I much like many people was quite touched by the music that Dilla made: from his come up until donuts and J Roccs finishing touches on The Shining.

I did not feel that it was by some coincidence that the man's name was so close to Dilla's. Of course, a trademarked name probably does not reach someone in another country.

I cannot speak of the religious experience that I came across when I saw Donuts. And to see a real life swagger and myth jacker of his is quite enraging. I'd appreciate an honest answer. I just found out about this clown this monday as it turns out. There of course is not stopping someone from holding themselves out as Maydee the Official.

I apologize in advance for bringing this topic up now, however; I see James Frank's post and it reminded me of the incident and I was going to try to get in touch with the artist. Plainly, speaking, no one outside of a Stones" Throw forum would even care.

Just a question; I prefer to be informed about issues and peoples' values. Cheers.

As for the last track info--that is quite amazing.

#34 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

to play devil's advocate, Yancey wasn't the only Jay Dee around even during his own lifetime...

Posted Image

so i don't think he had a monopoly on the name or any derivatives of it, those initials are almost as common as 'J.C.', there's certainly a benefit of the doubt that can be said for some nobody in wherever part of the world since Dilla's still a pretty obscure figure...

but now we're veering off-topic into thread-destroying territory; so i'll just leave it where my last post left off and enjoy the beat...

#35 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

I always assumed Jay Dee changed his moniker to Dilla due to the child exploiter straight jacking the name JD.
  • GC90 and MWBOOGIE like this

#36 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

^Yeah I was aware of that James Frank.

Your mention of obscurity is more along the lines of a cogent answer that I was looking for, though. But do not believe the hype. There is probably someone who is reading this forum and now knows who Jaydee Frank is.

Yes, that short, little cricket looking guy with very odd propensities and poorly produced music was the reason for Dilla's name change.
But, he is not Jay Dilla or Jaydee the Official. It is pretty easy to say from what I know about the thieving artist that it is a direct copy of Dilla. The guy is so disgustingly has a symbol of himself with his head tilted down wearing a fedora as Dilla did in one of his album covers that I cannot recall off the top of my head. It is rather blatant.

But, there is no doubt in my mind that the name is being utilized to evoke images of Dilla.

I'll post pictures later when the forum is in need of a good laugh.

#37 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I always assumed Jay Dee changed his moniker to Dilla due to the child exploiter straight jacking the name JD.

This was a correct presumption. Not sure which came around the cricket or Dilla, but the fact remains that the they were both working in the hip-hop circles at the same time. I do not think that the name was trademarked by the cricket; but Dilla obviously did not wish to be confused with that clown, so the name change took place.

#38 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Since Dilla died there's been a bunch of wack dudes trying to steal stuff or try to associate themselves to him even though they suck. There's even that one dezo dude on STMB who kept trying to post that shitty Bagels tape here lol. Dunno who MW is talking about, but there are many more (and even more will arrive over the years) doing the same shit. http://www.stonesthr...topic=6554&st=0

On topic, it's cool Quest shared it. Wish it was higher quality, a little hard to hear the details from Soundcloud upload. Samples like the one used for this or When I Die on the last Donuts track are really sad when you think about it, crazy that even though he was having a hard time speaking that he was still there enough to make these final beats. Can't imagine there ever being another producer who could do such fine work at a time like that.

Song sampled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UugIhiy7Eos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users