• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#121 Zappa

Zappa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

This is sick. 2 and 4 were good an all but this one feels like he properly chopped up all the tunes and mixed nice and proper.

#122 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:02 PM

This is sick. 2 and 4 were good an all but this one feels like he properly chopped up all the tunes and mixed nice and proper.

Yeah, very nice flow, very cinematic. Best mix by far imo, but Advanced Jazz will be swell as well, no doubt about that.

#123 dubrosa22

dubrosa22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, very nice flow, very cinematic. Best mix by far imo, but Advanced Jazz will be swell as well, no doubt about that.

Very true.
I had my first single-sitting listen today - with headphones - and it was the most cohesive I thought, end-to-end. Although I think my favourite mixtape is #4 just for pure fun-ness.

Can't wait for #8, I hope he reaches much deeper than the Blue Note and Atlantic crates

#124 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

Can't wait for #8, I hope he reaches much deeper than the Blue Note and Atlantic crates

That's like wondering if the sun is going to come up tomorrow morning. This is Otis Jackson Jr. we're talking about...of course there will be some deep ass tracks on that mix.

#125 Nobodaddy

Nobodaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

i wrote a review of what we've heard from the first half of the Medicine Show so far at my blog, peep it here. and lemme know what u think please!

Here's the part about the Brain Wreck Show:

The latest offering in the Medicine Show is the weirdest. Upon consideration, it seems to me like this is a sort of interlude to the entire month-by-month show, a little brain purging before the Medicine Show heads into something totally different (the jazz albums that are coming for the summer months). The official description: "No. 6-The Brain Wreck Show is a 61-minute DJ mixtape of global psychedelic, progressive and hard rock & funk circa 1968-1976, culled from the isolated reaches of Madlib's 4-ton mountain of vinyl." It's a bit hard to get into because of the numerous weird sounds (glass breaking, sirens, Pee Wee Herman), skits and interludes that sound like delusional psychosis. The album cover, with two anthropomorphic rabbits doing it in the woods, is extremely weird as is the material in the liner notes---10 pages of New World Order conspiracy writing by someone named Lungston Hughes. The joke's on us, I guess.

Although there's plenty of audible weirdness, this is Madlib's most heavily DJ'd and mixed of all the albums thus far. It's a true DJ experience as he brings together a whole universe of different material and presents it in a special way. It's a completely different project than the previous two Medicine Show mixtapes (Brazil and Jamaican dub/reggae) in that he doesn't just choose his favorite tracks and let them play. He first drills holes into your ears and then pours in the music.

The Good Stuff: After many listens, I've realized there's a certain way to listen to this album to get the best music out of it. All the good music is on the odd-numbered tracks (there's 9 altogether). The even-numbered ones are mostly drawn out skits and craziness and the music they contain is usually too dark. I especially love the recurring jazz flute leitmotif (first introduced in Track 1) that swings in and out throughout the whole tape even though it's sometimes covered over by strange 60s psychedelic robotic talking. The song opening Track 3 is beautiful. Track 5 has the best material: a great funk/rock/soul type song followed by what seems like Jabba the Hut talking leading into an unbelievably tender and smooth track, then a lengthy 60s-sounding piano organ instrumental to lead into another nice song. All topped off by that lovely flute leitmotif.

#126 thethiefstheme

thethiefstheme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://snd.sc/oLdd3n

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

^

I hate to be a jerk, but your writing style needs work. Try repeat words less often and don't describe the album in comparison to other medicine show as 'the weirdest'.

and the colour scheme of your blog is unpleasant to read. try create better contrast between the text and the background colour. possibly make the background colour slighty brighter?

#127 yasharwan

yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

^

I hate to be a jerk, but your writing style needs work. Try repeat words less often and don't describe the album in comparison to other medicine show as 'the weirdest'.

and the colour scheme of your blog is unpleasant to read. try create better contrast between the text and the background colour. possibly make the background colour slighty brighter?

:lol:lol

#128 mngse

mngse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

copped @ my local record stoe, will listen to it aftre the footy game.

#129 Nobodaddy

Nobodaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

^

it's all good man, i appreciate the feedback/criticism...and i definitely gotta work on the color scheme

you don't think the Brain Wreck Show is weird?

#130 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

i think the problem is that a 6 year old would think its wierd, your use of vocabulary is pretty weak, i'm not saying i could do better, i always have written shitt-ily worded papers, but if your gonna put yourself out there like that you gotta step it up

#131 mngse

mngse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Ok footy game lost, now fuck my brain please

#132 mngse

mngse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

My Brain is proper fucked

#133 Nobodaddy

Nobodaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

i think the problem is that a 6 year old would think its wierd, your use of vocabulary is pretty weak, i'm not saying i could do better, i always have written shitt-ily worded papers, but if your gonna put yourself out there like that you gotta step it up

well...i did use the word "weird" a few too many times in discussing the Brain Wreck show.. coulda said bizarre, creepy, eccentric, odd, queer(!), abnormal, psycho, strange...

it's a pretty damn fun record tho...you guys read the liner notes yet? alotta truth in there but it veers towards the odd/bizarre/creepy realm on just about every page..

and the picture in there of the city skyline (looks European) merged with an image of the cosmos is SICK

#134 yasharwan

yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

well...i did use the word "weird" a few too many times in discussing the Brain Wreck show.. coulda said bizarre, creepy, eccentric, odd, queer(!), abnormal, psycho, strange...

it's a pretty damn fun record tho...you guys read the liner notes yet? alotta truth in there but it veers towards the odd/bizarre/creepy realm on just about every page..

and the picture in there of the city skyline (looks European) merged with an image of the cosmos is SICK

ur good man what u write is what u feel who gives a shit? u think madlib gives a fuck who doesnt like some of the crazy shit he puts out? of course not its how he felt when he made it and he doesnt give a shit.

#135 Mr. North

Mr. North

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

It took me a minute to sit down and listen to Brain Wreck Show. I thought it was the shit! Did for me what Mind Fusion and Blunted in the Bombshelter did for my knowledge of jazz, and reggae! Open my eyes. The mix was dope too as people were saying.

#136 Zoonice

Zoonice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

i thought i wouldn't be into this one.
but in typical madlib fashion.
i love it.
:(

#137 Munoz387

Munoz387

Brothas can't see me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Anyone know the song at Track 9 @ 3:46?

#138 D Burris

D Burris

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Anyone know the song at Track 9 @ 3:46?

Found it for ya. Twisted conversation by Crystal Circus. Heres the link:
http://filevo.com/jdcvbqevvf16.html
  • Mr Teeth likes this

#139 Peachfuzz

Peachfuzz

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:41 AM

Found it for ya. Twisted conversation by Crystal Circus. Heres the link:
http://filevo.com/jdcvbqevvf16.html

Brilliant. Been dieing to know what this is, the best track on the mix for sure.

#140 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

Found it for ya. Twisted conversation by Crystal Circus.

Thank you SOOO much!

Been dying to know what this is, the best track on the mix for sure.

co-sign

#141 confidentjohn

confidentjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hello All

Just wondering if anyone new who did the version of gimme some lovin on track 1?

Great version

Cheers

#142 whitski

whitski

Rookie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Firesign.

#143 whitski

whitski

Rookie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

And George Kranz. How bout that.

#144 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Its Hong Kong

#145 consciousness

consciousness

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

this is the best album ive ever heard, can anyone recomend me more music like this? like weird monologues, dope music

#146 dubrosa22

dubrosa22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

this is the best album ive ever heard, can anyone recomend me more music like this? like weird monologues, dope music

Zappa's 'Uncle Meat' double cd springs to mind and his Lost Episodes

#147 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

Zappa's 'Uncle Meat' double cd springs to mind and his Lost Episodes

I happened to be listening to Uncle Meat when I read this, dope album. There aren't many albums like Brain Wreck, because most albums aren't mixes of several unknown songs from around the globe mixed with the strangest monologues and interviews. If you just dig for psych/prog, you'll find some ill shit though. Zappa is also a very good artist to look at though, he's got loads of material and most of it is pretty cool.

#148 mau

mau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

if you like mms6 allot you REALLY should check edan's radio shows from his myspace
2 hours of crazy psych//prog rock stuff, and some hiphop now and then

#149 brentabousko

brentabousko

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

if you like mms6 allot you REALLY should check edan's radio shows from his myspace
2 hours of crazy psych//prog rock stuff, and some hiphop now and then

agreed reverbed out, edan is sick

#150 Madwip

Madwip

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hello guys

Please Identify This Perfect Tune

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users