41 replies to this topic

#1 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

Anyone got the Express Rising LP that came out on Memphix records a few years ago???

Posted Image

I was listening to it earlier.... forgot how alsolutley amazing it is. The most relaxed, dusty beats with some of the most obscure samples ever (-- the guy who made it - Dante Carfagna - runs http://www.ohiosoulrecordings.com/ -- I'd love to have a butchers at his collection!!)

Everyone should check this out-- I think they only pressed 1000 of them, though. Also, does anyone have any of the Express Rising 7's that are floating about? ...Ive only got that common "time and time again" one. I hear the others are amazing.

#2 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

i only have it on c.d but he is one of shadows buddys and a heavy collector,posts over at soulstrut

#3 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

I've been wanting to get a copy of that forever, but that shit is impossible to find. I would lerv to hear it! Cough!...let me get a copy....Cough!

#4 EightArms & BlackMist

EightArms & BlackMist

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

I have the vinyl LP and every 7" but the third one, MEMP0003 which supposedly had only 125 copies, and is verrrrry rare, i also need MEMP8006 if anyone can get their hands on it. Dante told me straight up to forget about looking for 0003, its some WAY impossible shit to get a hold of.

you can find the LP ("Jeux de Ficelle") on ebay all the time. both in CD and 12" format. i have seen prices as high as $80 or $90, but it's more than worth it.
Same goes for EACH 7" AS WELL.
yes, that's right. 80-90, i've even seen over $100 for copies of those 45s.
Go to discogs, and look in their marketplace. SHIT IS BANANAS.

and to think, this music is not even ten years old!

i wouldn't get rid of my LP for anything less than a thousand. in my opinion it is one of the top ten albums of all time, any kind of music, any genre, ever. it is an absolute masterpiece.

you guys are hawking for some top notch wax. i can only say i don't plan on selling my Memphix stuff. too rare, too good.

the good news: i have the Express Rising LP in mp3. and plan to digitze the 7's this very sunday actually (i sold my turntables to Art Blakey's grandson so i've gotta do it at a buddy;s house.)
but then, with the rules of this site, can i give it to you guys?
i don't think dante would care. b'sides, it's all sold out everywhere anyway. i wanna spread the love but don't hey i ain't the copyright owner, nah mean?

Dante writes for Wax Poetics. i don't have many issues but he really knows his shit.

Egon should post on here I'm sure he knows him.

Shadow too, and him are like the two jedi knights of this whole scene. Shadow, essentially the godfather of downtempo, and Dante, the king of the underworld lost breaks and loops. They are writing a book together, it's been talked about for years but thus far nada.

best of luck ppl. if you think that's rare, try finding an old memphix tee on ebay. now THAT's hard.

type "ninja obsession" and "memphix" into google and you'll see the tracklistings for the full catalog.

PEACE

p.s. if you search for the DJ Mumbler "Clumsy Owl Mix" you can catch a glimpse of two of the songs from the 45 series. both good. pls note, the tracklisting in wrong. but it's ALMOST right.
enjoy!

#5 P.R.C.

P.R.C.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

anyone have a link where i could just listen to like the 30 second samples for this???

#6 Motown

Motown

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

Seems great, surprised I haven't heard of it before.

#7 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

i don't think dante would care. b'sides, it's all sold out everywhere anyway. i wanna spread the love but don't hey i ain't the copyright owner, nah mean?

I wouldn't mind :)

#8 gaseousclay

gaseousclay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

i've got the cd. i'm probably in the minority but I found the album pretty bland. never understood the hype surrounding this guy

#9 EightArms & BlackMist

EightArms & BlackMist

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Gasseous:

That's the thing. There was no hype. None. I got into it circa 2003 only b/c Turntable Lab sweated the shit out of him and my roommate did IT for The Lab and brought home the flavor. It started as just sublime background, cleaning the house music but then it became like the EVERYTHING music.

And 500 pcs for the whole world, never to press again. (we'll see how long that lasts).
1000 pcs of the LP is stilll pretty rare.

Ask 99% of ppl who consider themselves contemporary music elitists and they haven't heard of dante carfagna, express rising, or Memphix. And something tells me the guys at memphix like it that way.
Dante said they only set out to make good music people might listen to, not make money. Their heroes did that, so they're doing it.

And bland might have been just what they were aiming to do over at Memphix. They sought to acheive, and I quote, "to tend to under-do somethinig rather than over-do it"
so there's lots of cats out there worldwide, big flashy artwork, zaps, thunder, squealing or a rugged bass drum etc...but they lack substance and staying power.
dante for express rising is something more like just plain old...beautiful.

honestly, i just think it's an 11 out of 10. it's like the ILLMATIC of downtempo/breaks. pls do not call this music electronica.

Gets better with every listen, reminds me of my grandmother's place in the mountains, good for driving in the rain, good for napping, chess, sex, rendering graphics, summer, winter etc. etc.

i could go on forever about this whole thing. but i'll stop here.

#10 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

I can hardly wait until Sunday.. ;) ;)

#11 tompd

tompd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

the good news: i have the Express Rising LP in mp3. and plan to digitze the 7's this very sunday actually (i sold my turntables to Art Blakey's grandson so i've gotta do it at a buddy;s house.)

Ahhhh, if you were able to post it that would be amazing, I've been trying to track down a copy of this for ages! I'm always up for checking out stuff by Dante - not sure if anyone got the 'Chains and Black Exhaust' Comp he put out a few years ago (killer funk rock) but it was insane!

#12 EightArms & BlackMist

EightArms & BlackMist

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:42 AM

Got Chains and Black Exhaust. Got live at RC's.
Got the 45's digitzed. but i'm off to work.
Talk to you heads latrix!!!

#13 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:50 AM

damn, now i want to hear this too !!!

#14 tompd

tompd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:21 AM

Got Chains and Black Exhaust. Got live at RC's.
Got the 45's digitzed. but i'm off to work.
Talk to you heads latrix!!!

Ahhh live at RC's is so good... every tune on that album is spot on. I wish it had liner notes though. I'd love to have known a bit more about who 'Big Moe' was, when it was recorded etc.

The only info I could find, from turntable lab:

'... this mix by old school Memphis dj Big Moe, live from R.C's Place. Big Moe was a former radio DJ for WJNS in Memphis and was known for playing the best in funk & soul from that region. Vaulted in somebody's house in South Memphis for over 30 years, this live concert tape was discovered in 2003. The concert was Joe Perkins & The Memphians featuring Big Moe as the dj, and he delivers a set of both common and rare unknown Memphis recordings. All these tracks are either Stax, Hi Records, or local pressings, and some of the highlights include groups like the Memphians, Wendy Rene, Gene Anderson, The Charmels, The Fabulous Caprices, Smithstonian and Transplant...'

#15 pumpkin

pumpkin

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:27 AM

I was exposed to Express Rising through a few songs of theirs that Big Daddy Magazine (r.i.p.) put on their cds but have never been able to track down the album..actually it kind of pisses me off that I cant find it and I certainly wont pay upwards of 100 dollars for it. I know it came out on Memphix records but they seem to have a distribution of about 5 blocks. This sucks, the music is excellent ... why must it be hidden in obscurity? :wacko:

#16 bo_grits

bo_grits

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

it sounds like limp wristed shite to me
sorry thats just how i hear it-

BALL_LESS BONERZ

#17 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:32 AM

what a prick - -

BAN!

#18 EightArms & BlackMist

EightArms & BlackMist

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

:D

#19 J Barnes

J Barnes

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • Interests:Records and Drinking

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Wanker

#20 tompd

tompd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hokay people.

Sorry to be doin y'all like this but way I see it, after all the hard work and money I've put into getting every 45 (save for one) and the LP, plus the full Black Chains comp as well as the Live at RC's (ask if you want the original CD's) anyone who wants it all (plus 2 extra tracks, the rarely seen Pentoca release with repeat Dante collaborators and Memphix artists Tony Janda and MeatyOgre 7-inch, Naples Deli b/w 88 to Rochelle)...

Paypal me $200 at Abel.nyc@gmail.com. Include shipping address and a heads up email. you will get the following on a CD of high quality vinyl rips (using a loud plug in from pro-tools for those real audiophiles)

MEMP 001 The Four Quarters - Music Or Noise / The Rising Express Inclines (7")
MEMP 002 The Rising Express - Passed and Present / Gravity Au Jus (7")
MEMP 004 Red & The Eyerights - Homegrown (7")
MEMP 005 Amicabilities - Respite / Burnt Ends (7")
MEMP 007 Express Rising - Express Rising (LP/CD)
MEMP 008 Express Rising - Miserable Miracle / Buy, Sell, Tirade (7")
MEMP 009 Dials - East Of Gillham / Pass Of Arms (7")
MEMP 010 Micky Ritter - One Eyed Looking Glass / Silent Lioness (7")
MEMP 011 Express Rising - Time And Time Again / Double Navaho (7")
MEMP 012 Smeets - Olentangy Detour / Attic (7")
MEMP 013 Red & The Eyerights - Melodic Transition / Brandon's Rusty Organ (7")

JONES001 Various - Chains And Black Exhaust Full Length (CD)
JONES002 Big Moe - Live At R.C.'s Place Full Length (CD)

that's every Memphix track except for the one 7-inch "clumsy owl" b/w "Somebody's birthday" but those are available online anyway. (see earlier post in this thread for the DJ Mumbler mix including both tracks).

Sorry but I just can't see myself taking upwards of three years hunting, finally digitizing them, and then everyone gets it for free.

If you think i'm a piece of shit asking for $, blast away...but if you're open to the purchase, don't ask to trade or negotiate with your rare B-side collection of funk soul afrobeat reggae baile blah blah blah.
If you only need the LP, or if you only want the seven inches, hit me up and we'll work something out.

If anyone else is interested you can get the chains... and live at RC's for a REASONABLE price for turntablelab and fatbeats i think. Both are still in print (although i think the chains... reissue is missing one track).

Id love to check out those tunes but there's no way I'm paying someone who is not the artist for digital copies. It may have been a task to find all the records, but that does not make them your music.

#21 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

good point there -- i didnt even notice this dickhole was tryting to sell digital copies of some stuff that was still in print!!!

#22 bnick

bnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

that is really takin the piss.

#23 EightArms & BlackMist

EightArms & BlackMist

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

time to air some dirty laundry.

FYI, first of all...no. The music is not still in print. And No, TTLab doesn't have anything you're looking for. thirdly, if you don't want to pay me, then don't. if you wanna talk shit and get all mr. toughy on a chat board, you had better check your faculties before doing some stupid shit. for example: I received this personal message from a "McLemore" (a member of this msg board).

QUOTE]you know there is more than one member of Memphix right? You do know that one particular member, not Dante, is responsible for the releases. You do know that this person has a very short temper AND friends all over the world and would more than likely kick the living shit out of you for trying to slang MP3s, right? I suggest pulling your offer. Seriously. 3 years of hunting and buying is ridiculous little dude shit talk. Just stop. Asshole.[/QUOTE]

Well here is my response to McLemore, and to anyone else who wants to step.

I'm sorry to hear my offer to sell CD collections of music I have collected and digitized offends you so greatly.
Unfortunately for you, McLemore, it happens I'm an attorney. So with your well documented (and now publicized) threats of bodily harm and/or assault, I can easily bring charges against you and subpoena the Stones Throw company to get your personal information. And if you wanna flex muscles like so many e-thugs, then I would happily meet you in court. You want to make threats in a medium where everything is traceable, that's your prerogative. But my attempt to meet the demand with my own personal supply...that's MY prerogative. It's called economics. Just like 'if you don't like the music turn off the radio", if you don't like my offer, then don't make a bid.

Other than that, you can take your suggestion and ram it up your ass, then suck on it to taste the defeat.

Like most of you, I love this music. I spent alot of money to try to collect it all. Now, some might say that in the spirit of goodwill and downright neighborliness, I should just upload the music, send you all the link, and just give away, virtually for free, music I have spent close to $600 in finding. some might say that. Others might say that makes me a fool. I agree with the latter.

Either way, at the end of the day, it's a free country. I am not using any commercial medium to try to sell bootlegged music. I'm simply using a public forum to make an offer of a private collection. I got the wax, (which incidentally is for sale too, to the highest bidder), I got the CD compilations (all of which was used without the permission of their owners, hence the "Jones Records" name to disguise the true owners), and I can do what I like with it. If that's not allowed, then the administrators of this site are free to cancel my account. I'll still be selling the music though.

Now then: be it Dante, Chad, Luke, or any of the Memphix crew don't like what I'm doing, they are free to feel this way. But if you, McLemore, or ANYONE attempting to scare me, stepping to me on some violence shit, that I do not take kindly to. If you want to take it to the streets and bring beatdowns into the picture, I'm more than happy to meet any of you in the street. With crew or dolo. I simply don't give a fuck. Whether it's the Decepticons, Queens graf crews with nothing to lose or the guys working the FatBeats warehouse in Brooklyn, I got more than enough fam, nuclear and extended, to tussle with any sucker toy popping off at the mouth. Just be careful where you make threats. Play bitch and get fucked. Plain and simple.

I don't mind being called a wanker, a pisser, or some Brit-pop rookie's version of bad words. But where I'm from, you don't make threats unless you're willing to get down with acting on it. And all this...over 45's? Now i'm the first to call myself a record nerd but COME ON NOW. Violence and rare music simply don't mix.

#24 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

i'll say it again:

what a prick...

BAN

#25 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:36 AM

time to air some dirty laundry.

FYI, first of all...no. The music is not still in print. And No, TTLab doesn't have anything you're looking for. thirdly, if you don't want to pay me, then don't. if you wanna talk shit and get all mr. toughy on a chat board, you had better check your faculties before doing some stupid shit. for example: I received this personal message from a "McLemore" (a member of this msg board).

QUOTE]you know there is more than one member of Memphix right? You do know that one particular member, not Dante, is responsible for the releases. You do know that this person has a very short temper AND friends all over the world and would more than likely kick the living shit out of you for trying to slang MP3s, right? I suggest pulling your offer. Seriously. 3 years of hunting and buying is ridiculous little dude shit talk. Just stop. Asshole.

Well here is my response to McLemore, and to anyone else who wants to step.

I'm sorry to hear my offer to sell CD collections of music I have collected and digitized offends you so greatly.
Unfortunately for you, McLemore, it happens I'm an attorney. So with your well documented (and now publicized) threats of bodily harm and/or assault, I can easily bring charges against you and subpoena the Stones Throw company to get your personal information. And if you wanna flex muscles like so many e-thugs, then I would happily meet you in court. You want to make threats in a medium where everything is traceable, that's your prerogative. But my attempt to meet the demand with my own personal supply...that's MY prerogative. It's called economics. Just like 'if you don't like the music turn off the radio", if you don't like my offer, then don't make a bid.

Other than that, you can take your suggestion and ram it up your ass, then suck on it to taste the defeat.

Like most of you, I love this music. I spent alot of money to try to collect it all. Now, some might say that in the spirit of goodwill and downright neighborliness, I should just upload the music, send you all the link, and just give away, virtually for free, music I have spent close to $600 in finding. some might say that. Others might say that makes me a fool. I agree with the latter.

Either way, at the end of the day, it's a free country. I am not using any commercial medium to try to sell bootlegged music. I'm simply using a public forum to make an offer of a private collection. I got the wax, (which incidentally is for sale too, to the highest bidder), I got the CD compilations (all of which was used without the permission of their owners, hence the "Jones Records" name to disguise the true owners), and I can do what I like with it. If that's not allowed, then the administrators of this site are free to cancel my account. I'll still be selling the music though.

Now then: be it Dante, Chad, Luke, or any of the Memphix crew don't like what I'm doing, they are free to feel this way. But if you, McLemore, or ANYONE attempting to scare me, stepping to me on some violence shit, that I do not take kindly to. If you want to take it to the streets and bring beatdowns into the picture, I'm more than happy to meet any of you in the street. With crew or dolo. I simply don't give a fuck. Whether it's the Decepticons, Queens graf crews with nothing to lose or the guys working the FatBeats warehouse in Brooklyn, I got more than enough fam, nuclear and extended, to tussle with any sucker toy popping off at the mouth. Just be careful where you make threats. Play bitch and get fucked. Plain and simple.

I don't mind being called a wanker, a pisser, or some Brit-pop rookie's version of bad words. But where I'm from, you don't make threats unless you're willing to get down with acting on it. And all this...over 45's? Now i'm the first to call myself a record nerd but COME ON NOW. Violence and rare music simply don't mix.

well my dad's the best lawyer in the world and he'll beat you in any court. ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#26 John Book

John Book

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

I just signed onto this board after this thread alone. Longtime fan of Stones Throw, etc.

Paypal me $200 at Abel.nyc@gmail.com. Include shipping address and a heads up email. you will get the following on a CD of high quality vinyl rips (using a loud plug in from pro-tools for those real audiophiles)

What is a "loud plug-in"? Also, if you were doing this for "real audiophiles", wouldn't you have done a vinyl transfer at 24bit/96kHz and create a DVD-R with HQ lossless files instead of a CD of MP3's? Did you indicate what bit rate these MP3's are, or does your suggestion of a "loud plug-in" mean that it's 320kbps? I mention this because you go out of your way to say that you spent a lot of money to buy these records, and while you are willing to sell your original copies, you also want to make money from CD-R's featuring said music, because digitizing them and uploading them for free is pointless. You claim it's economics, and you make this claim as an attorney, on a board where there are other artists, DJ's, and producers who also have attorneys. To me, it's no different than someone downloading a graphic of "Family Guy", making 100 T-shirts with the graphic, and selling at a swap meet. Legally, can that be done because you bought the T-shirts?

Sorry but I just can't see myself taking upwards of three years hunting, finally digitizing them, and then everyone gets it for free.

No one asked you to take three years of your life to hunt, no one asked you to digitize them. But what you are doing is something a lot of people on eBay do, which is to find something and give it an outrageous price that some people would never spend on an item. Yet all it takes is one person/sucker to do it, and the case is closed. We laugh at the sucker who was taken advantage of, and you laugh because you can't believe someone was so desperate to spend that much on digital files, files that the potential buyer will now distribute for free. Of course you as an attorney don't care because you got your fee, and perhaps there are other suckers who will take your offer.

Yeah, I want the originals too and I do have a few Memphix 45's in my collection, but I'm patient and I'll wait. You are basically putting an offer for those who cannot and will not wait, the impatient collector who has to have it now. In a time when everything can be had now, you're basically fulfilling that void, supplying the potential demand. It's twisted, but all you need is one.

#27 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

LMAO...definitely ban this clown ST Bot.

yeah, how the fuck you gonna fit ten 45s and two LPs of "high quality" rips on one CD?

Yeah, I was just reading in Sterophile about the amazing "Loud" plugin...lol...

I have been on STMB for about a year and a half and have never seen anyone make such a fool of themselves. The nerve of your logic (it took me a long time to dig, therefore I can sell it), is just embarrassing.

The $200 price is jokes too...what is that, $20 per 45? Who would pay that for a rip?

CLOWN. BAN.

#28 luck

luck

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Like John, I signed up for this board for the purpose of responing to this thread. I've long been a fan of ST's quality Now-Again reissues.

The poster offering these rips is not only in clear violation of this board's rules as well as this country's applicable copyright laws, but also (and more importantly) is majorly playing himself.

This board was clearly not envisioned as a surrogate to GEMM.com, and the world is not currently in need of another RECSIM.

Is this what they teach at the Wild West University of Law? How to cover copyright violations with cowboy posturing? To dispute the claim: historically speaking, violence and rare music do indeed mix. Especially in Chicago.

#29 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

hey...at least this clown inspired some lurkers to sign up...<_<

#30 live215

live215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

Before this guy gets banned I want him to know I have the Clumsy Owl / Somebody's Birthday 7" and it's one of my favorite records ever. It makes me happy just to think about the songs, I dont even have to hear them. But I think I'll go grab the record right now and put it on just for him <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users