7 replies to this topic

#1 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:28 AM

ok, i am begining to try to listen to this legend....which album should i start off with? or should i just close my eyes and see what my hand grabs first?

#2 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

ok, i am begining to try to listen to this legend....which album should i start off with? or should i just close my eyes and see what my hand grabs first?

i'd be interested to know which are the ones to check for--- i havent got any Fela. didn't he do stuff with Ginger Baker from Cream??

#3 git

git

Merkin' ferals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

just start with a best of, this one's prob the best one, then go from there.

edit* won't let me upload cover pic, damn

#4 Sanka

Sanka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Folding clothes.

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

That's tough ... there's so much. However, I would say that if you're really interested there is a collection called "Music Is the Weapon" that has a 2 CD "Best Of" and a DVD of the documentary on Fela. It's a really great film and I would say the "Best Of" is fairly accurate.

http://www.cdunivers... The Weapon.htm

Or ... if you want to PM me (so I remember) I could put a little list together of my personal favorites and you could see if you agree.

#5 J.D

J.D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

try "expensive shit". thats my favourite at the moment...

#6 Operatore

Operatore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

Check out Chief Xcel's mix called The Underground Spiritual game. I think that would be a great start to Fela Kuti music.

#7 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

Check out Chief Xcel's mix called The Underground Spiritual game. I think that would be a great start to Fela Kuti music.

yea, i just saw that at rasputin's............when i get paid i'm a cop that.....plus i am coppin the greatest hits....good lookin fam.

#8 ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:53 AM

Fela did two albums with Ginger Baker. The first was 'Fela Ransome Kuti & Ginger Baker Live!' which came out in '71, personally this is one of my favourite Fela albums and was the first one I heard. It's bloody great! And then, Fela appeared on Ginger's solo album 'Stratavarious' which came out the following year. It's sadly out of print but is well worth the search.
Also, get 'Confusion', 'Fela's London Scene', 'Expensive Shit' and 'He Miss Road'. All good stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users