24 replies to this topic

#1 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:41 AM

anyone lsiten to much prog / psych rock here?? i know there have been a few mentions of a certain english prog band on the vertigo label that have been sampled by madlib and dilla a few times (G***** G**** ) but does anyone dig this stuff?? trying to find 60's and 70's prog breaks and organ / moog workouts is all ive been digging for these last few months.

here's a few of my favourites at the moment:

McDONALD & GILES - s/t

JON LORD - "gemini suite" (for the mental 'organ' track at the end)

the first side of EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER's "tarkus"

TONTO'S EXPANDING HEAD BAND - "zero time"

APHRODITE'S CHILD - "666"

ALAN BOWN - "listen"

MAN - "2ozs pf plastic with a hole on the middle"

SOFT MACHINE - "third" and "seven"

can anyone hip me to some other similar stuff i nedd to get digging for?

#2 stopover bombay.

stopover bombay.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:music. film. rapp cats. warhol. hieroglyphics. vinyl. pop eye. butter. arts. the beats. the meats. spank rock. word. stylus. heads. stickers. samples.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

i'm only just getting into prog/psych rock now. the bands i listen to so far are:

soft machine
soft heap
gentle giant
hatfield and the north
nektar

i recommend soft machine deffinitely, all though i see you already have two of their albums. the albums you have are actually the more jazzy ones. i recommend getting soft machine "vol. 1 & 2"; you can find this in a double lp or individually. these two albums have a more predominantly psych rock sound, all though they still have jazzy elements.

#3 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

You should also check out Tangerine Dream's earlier stuff like Electronic Meditation (1970), their albums always have a smorgus board of out there samples.

#4 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

i recommend soft machine deffinitely, all though i see you already have two of their albums. the albums you have are actually the more jazzy ones. i recommend getting soft machine "vol. 1 & 2"; you can find this in a double lp or individually. these two albums have a more predominantly psych rock sound, all though they still have jazzy elements.

i've got volume 2 aswell --- i like it alot (great cover) but i hear that volume 1 is the best one..... i'm after that on lp cheap at the moment.

#5 stopover bombay.

stopover bombay.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:music. film. rapp cats. warhol. hieroglyphics. vinyl. pop eye. butter. arts. the beats. the meats. spank rock. word. stylus. heads. stickers. samples.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

i've got volume 2 aswell --- i like it alot (great cover) but i hear that volume 1 is the best one..... i'm after that on lp cheap at the moment.

yeh, vol. 1's my favourite. there are some good vocal samples and breaks on it.

#6 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

i got alot of these types of records. don't have the energy to get them out now though. them soft machine records i got is more on the jazz tip in my own humble opinion. i've listened to a few nektar records but never got them. they have put out quite a few. which ones are dope? you guys should look after some swedish prog though. we got some fire. i have a few records that are banging. well, maybe not banging, but weird and good.

#7 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

i got alot of these types of records. don't have the energy to get them out now though. them soft machine records i got is more on the jazz tip in my own humble opinion. i've listened to a few nektar records but never got them. they have put out quite a few. which ones are dope? you guys should look after some swedish prog though. we got some fire. i have a few records that are banging. well, maybe not banging, but weird and good.

drop some names then, big man. i'm always on the look out for more names to dig for. isn't Pugh Rogefeldt Swedish? i hear he's got some pretty serious heatrocks. all seems to cost a bomb over here in the uk though.

#8 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

You should check out Death Wish 2's soundtrack, there are some sample suprises on it too.

#9 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

also check Pencil's podcast....

#10 Mike

Mike

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Gong

#11 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:20 AM

Gong

yeah- - gong are pretty fun... i've got "radio gnome invisible pt 1" - which has a great cover.

#12 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

drop some names then, big man. i'm always on the look out for more names to dig for. isn't Pugh Rogefeldt Swedish? i hear he's got some pretty serious heatrocks. all seems to cost a bomb over here in the uk though.

yeah. he's swedish. there's also a group called Änglagård that's pretty dope. Zamla Mammas Manna is another one. that's pretty weird stuff. i'm sure you all heard of Bo Hansson. we got a lot of heavy stuff.

more info:
http://rateyourmusic...prog_folk_psych

#13 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

also check Pencil's podcast....

ahh didn't look at who the og poster was, this could be my most useless post ever!

#14 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

i'm sure you all heard of Bo Hansson.

i ve been listenign to a bit of bo hansson recently... i have "magicians hat", "atttic thoughts" and the "lord of the rings" lp. theyve all been sampled to death and theres no stand-out funky bombs, but hes got a dead nice sound.

#15 ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

Egg are probably my favourite prog band, who were from Cambridge and sorta turned into Hatfield & The North
Their first two albums 'Egg' and 'The Polite Force' are superb and are funky as hell. The 'Chillum' album (by Chillum) on the Mushroom label also has some heavy samples (if you can find a copy).

#16 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

Egg are probably my favourite prog band, who were from Cambridge and sorta turned into Hatfield & The North
Their first two albums 'Egg' and 'The Polite Force' are superb and are funky as hell. The 'Chillum' album (by Chillum) on the Mushroom label also has some heavy samples (if you can find a copy).

Nice, i've been after that first Egg lp for ages (keep seeing it about but not to match my meager budget). I thought they were from Cantebury?

#17 ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:00 AM

Nice, i've been after that first Egg lp for ages (keep seeing it about but not to match my meager budget). I thought they were from Cantebury?

Haha shit yeah I'm not with it today, that's what I meant. Part of the Canterbury crew. I paid £35 for a mint copy of it, which is pretty cheap for that. The 2nd album is even harder to find. I've only seen one copy and it was wrecked. I've asked a dealer friend of mine and he reckons I'll be paying between £75 - £100 for a decent UK pressing now.
And the Chillum album I have NEVER seen a copy of! And my old college tutor is the guitarist on the album.

#18 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

my favourite local record shop round the corner has "the civil surface" on the wall at the moment--- £20 or something. worth a squirt is it??

who is this ErikTheViking with all this record knowledge??

#19 ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

my favourite local record shop round the corner has "the civil surface" on the wall at the moment--- £20 or something. worth a squirt is it??

who is this ErikTheViking with all this record knowledge??

Haha I'm Erik Steaggles, I live in London, I'm 20, I'm in a band, music crazy, spend all my money on records blah blah. Actually check out my website www.myspace.com/eriksteaggles saves me explaining myself!! I replied to your playlist and pasted my own on there too. And who is Pencilface then?!

PS. haven't heard Civil Surface yet, I've heard a few tracks, its nowhere near as good as the first two. Could be worth it?! I've seen it for £30. And £15. So there you go. It's in between.

#20 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

Return to Forever has some great grooves and beats, so anything from them could be slowed down and chopped up into something really special.

Also, ON THE CORNER by Miles Davis has some potential.

#21 G-ONG

G-ONG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Gong

#22 juta

juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

im not sure it's funky prog rock but it almost think it is.. Mainhorse?? have you heard em ? i only heard a track by them called Basia which is crazy

#23 ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

On The Corner is one of my favourite Miles albums. I wouldn't say it's proggy though. I think the Demon Fuzz album is kinda proggy.

#24 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:59 AM

On The Corner is one of my favourite Miles albums. I wouldn't say it's proggy though. I think the Demon Fuzz album is kinda proggy.

'on the corner' is very savage... but this thread seems to be swinging into fusion territory. That demon Fuzz LP is amazing -- heavy duty psyche rock with some insane drums on pretty much every track. Great cover too...

#25 ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:12 AM

'on the corner' is very savage... but this thread seems to be swinging into fusion territory. That demon Fuzz LP is amazing -- heavy duty psyche rock with some insane drums on pretty much every track. Great cover too...

It really is one of my favourite albums. Took me a while to find an original UK pressing on Dawn, got it pretty cheap though. I actually am in contact with three of the members, one of them still lives in London.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users