Scalez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:music, boobs, and fine wine
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/scalez

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

So I have my main studio setup, and I don't need to add anything to that right now. I don't need an SP-12 or a MPC 3000-grade machine at this time, but something portable and reliable.

I've settled on looking at these two machines because they're small and reasonably priced, especially used. An MPC 2000 is obviously too big. Even the Microsampler which looks pretty dope is too big (20 inches long. won't fit in my backpack. batteries?).

I'm leaning toward the 500 since it takes batteries and the 303 doesn't. Plus, I used to have a 2000XL, so it won't be so much of a learning curve. I have heard things about the 303 though that make me wonder. Like it has a very simple workflow.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated, especially if someone can outline the workflow differences between the two. Also, any other machines that may suit my purposes?

gracias

#2 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

well the 404(sx) is the upgraded 303 and does take batteries, you are aware of that right?? other than that, this thread has been made many times, everybody has their input, i rock a 404 and love it, its easy to use but apparently different from mpc's, i feel its real intuitive, you sample in, you resample something to different pads and set mark points on each sample, then play and sequence those pads up, effects are great, and its just overall a really good machine for me

#3 lovejaydee

lovejaydee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

the 303 is dope and all and yes its classic or whatever but to be honest its a bit of a bitch dealing with backstock memory that isnt made anymore. the 404 is dope as hell but people think its ugly and not as good as the 303. yes it does have some advantages over it but so does the 404 to the 303.i havent fucked with the 404 sx yet but its a step up i assume from what ive seen. still no velocity sensitive pads though which the mpcs have and are kind of a key thing i think that roland is missing out on....

just my .02

#4 Fresh

Fresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:52 AM

i havent had too much experience with the 303 or 500 but ive noticed quite a few differences between the SP and MPC series but its kinda hard to just pick out one because they both have their advantages and disadvantages between them. Out of all the portable machines i would have to go with the SP-404SX and im pretty sure it'll come out cheaper then a MPC 500.

There's also another one by Akai called the XR20 but i dont know anything about that one so cant really give an opinion on it, still worth looking into i guess

#5 OKG

OKG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

the xr20 is just a drum machine, it's got midi in and out but you can't sample into it, i got a 404 it's awesome but it's a pain tryna get memory cards for it, but if you get your hands on sum you'll be able to make music solely with this one box and a portable turntable (back up drum an bass sounds or whatever else you need on the memory cards before you travel), i met a guy who had an mpc500, he sais the screen was tiny and that the sound wasn't favorable, too clean but not round enough? the 404sx looks to be more convenient than anything else, but it's just so ugly, a 303 would be dope but then u run into the memory card issue, still tho it is prolly worth picking up for it;s vinyl sim effect alone...

#6 Scalez

Scalez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:music, boobs, and fine wine
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/scalez

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

hmm, i haven't really looked that close at the 404(sx). now i will. besides being ugly what's the diff btw it and a 303? also, i'm not sure the 500 is out of the question just b/c of a small screen. the sp's only show you a damn number. it's a big one, so the coulda put a nice display in there, but nah, one huge 3-digit number and they called it a day.

#7 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

404 has 12 pads instead of 8 and 10 pad banks instead of 4, and the 404 is WAY faster, at least to someone who started on the 404 and then got a 303 after, i mean its time to smoke some weed or whatever, but just deleting a pad or switching two pads spots takes a hell of alot longer, and with the 404 it is just a few seconds, but the 303 does seem to just have a slightly warmer sound, and the long function is nice (404 has regular and lo fi which is like a bit crusher/lower sample rate kinda thing and the 303 has reg, long, and lofi, with long right in the middle somewhere, sometimes i like runnin entire tracks through there with long on) plus the vinyl sim is tight, although comin from the 404 i like the vinyl sim on that just as much really, and the 404's sequencer is slightly better, esp because you can switch between patterns seemlessly so that one starts when the one thats running is done playing, where as on the 303 if you press a new pattern it just starts playin and is kinda hard to always be exactly on with, and i am pretty sure with the new 404sx which replaced the 404 takes a memory card that is much easier to get and allows you to copy patterns alot easier too, i'm just realizin though that i haven't really read up on how people feel about the effects and such in comparison to the 404, anybody got any info on that???

#8 Stoff

Stoff

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

yeh i'm wonderin the same thing....whats different n the 404Sx than the 404???.....ive had the 404 for sometime n i just saw the SX in the stores a few weekes back.....wha am i missin???lol

#9 COMPUTERS

COMPUTERS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Sampling

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

There aren't many differences between the 404 and the 404sx at all.
The SX I believe has the ability to copy patterns(the 404 does, too, with a little trick), and uses SD cards for storage.
I believe the SX also relies only on external memory, it doesn't have any internal space.
Ask the guys on SP-Forums.com, they know plenty about it.

#10 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,500 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

ok size issues and batteries aside the 303? fiddly sequencer would hate to make a full track on one of them

#11 COMPUTERS

COMPUTERS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Sampling

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

In case someone's interested, I made a beattape using only the 404 and a tascam cassette recorder (and a turntable and vinyl, of course). Check my sig if you're curious about what you can do with the 404 alone.

Also, the Korg Microsampler is a new keyboard based portable sampler worth checking out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users