5 replies to this topic

#1 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

...There's not nearly enough talk about music in this here 'crates' section-- just a lot of guff about the sp303.

So....... Is anyone familiar with Andy Votel? Graphic designer/ 'Twisted Nerve' record label boss/ psychedelic music collector and reissuer. I think the votel stands for "violators of the english language - his old hip hop group. Or something. ) His mixes are amazing-- probably some of the best i've heard music wise. This man has very, very deep crates. Check out "music to watch girls cry" or "songs in the key of death"-- Both amazing mixes of kraut/ psych/ surf/ fuzz/ prog/ jazz rock plus library and soundtrack business. Lots of moogs and wierdness. Amazing. Plus he puts tracklistings up for them on his website ( e.g. -- http://www.b-music.c.../girls_cry.html ) which is what should be happening as music is to be shared, not secreted away.

So check them out. The latest wax poetics has an article on his top 10 records.

#2 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

...There's not nearly enough talk about music in this here 'crates' section-- just a lot of guff about the sp303.

So....... Is anyone familiar with Andy Votel? Graphic designer/ 'Twisted Nerve' record label boss/ psychedelic music collector and reissuer. I think the votel stands for "violators of the english language - his old hip hop group. Or something. ) His mixes are amazing-- probably some of the best i've heard music wise. This man has very, very deep crates. Check out "music to watch girls cry" or "songs in the key of death"-- Both amazing mixes of kraut/ psych/ surf/ fuzz/ prog/ jazz rock plus library and soundtrack business. Lots of moogs and wierdness. Amazing. Plus he puts tracklistings up for them on his website ( e.g. -- http://www.b-music.c.../girls_cry.html ) which is what should be happening as music is to be shared, not secreted away.

So check them out. The latest wax poetics has an article on his top 10 records.

i've seen his name from somewhere. does he make music too? cus i think i've heard something.

#3 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

i've seen his name from somewhere. does he make music too? cus i think i've heard something.

yeah.. he's rleased a few albums and singles and done onnes of remixes for people. embarrasingly- seeing as i'm bigging him up - i've never got round to picking up any of his own music releases. i will though!

#4 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

yeah i got his music to watch girls cry mix thats bonkers,his finders keepers compilation and some remixes he did for grand central records(r.i.p)

love his artwork too

#5 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

yeah.. he's rleased a few albums and singles and done onnes of remixes for people. embarrasingly- seeing as i'm bigging him up - i've never got round to picking up any of his own music releases. i will though!

alright. in that case i've heard some of his stuff, probably on myspace, and i remember thinking it was real good.

#6 pbanken

pbanken

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Hi!
The Finder's Keepers double LP is bonkers, indeed. Loads and loads of obscure stuff, a Serge Gainsbourg feat. Bardot sitar-hippie-smoke-track, a German rare groove funk song that was sampled by Spinna, 60's drum madness, plus a very sleazy Women's orgasmic song with a lot of moaning goin' on ... too much to list here. He also compiled some 60's Welsh rare grooves (sung in Welsh, now that's strange!).

Overall, his name should be noticed when digging through the Soul&Funk Compilation section in your local record shop.

Cheers, pbanken

P.S.: I'd like to big up the Daptone guys here too. This has nothing to do with Votel (which, by the way, stand for Violators of the English language), but their stuff has been ace right from the beginning. Also, check out the Wu Tang cover versions of El Michaels Affair, replayed instr. versions of Duell of the Iron Mic and CREAM, for example. Daptone ... these guys know the deal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users