#1 Sanka

Sanka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Folding clothes.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

Momofuku Ando, 96, Dies; Invented Instant Ramen (January 9, 2007) From the NY Times:

Mr. Noodle

Published: January 9, 2007
The news last Friday of the death of the ramen noodle guy surprised those of us who had never suspected that there was such an individual. It was easy to assume that instant noodle soup was a team invention, one of those depersonalized corporate miracles, like the Honda Civic, the Sony Walkman and Hello Kitty, that sprang from that ingenious consumer-product collective known as postwar Japan.

But no. Momofuku Ando, who died in Ikeda, near Osaka, at 96, was looking for cheap, decent food for the working class when he invented ramen noodles all by himself in 1958. His product — fried, dried and sold in little plastic-wrapped bricks or foam cups — turned the company he founded, Nissin Foods, into a global giant. According to the company’s Web site, instant ramen satisfies more than 100 million people a day. Aggregate servings of the company’s signature brand, Cup Noodles, reached 25 billion worldwide in 2006.

There are other versions of fast noodles. There is spaghetti in a can. It is sweetish and gloppy and a first cousin of dog food. Macaroni and cheese in a box is a convenience product requiring several inconvenient steps. You have to boil the macaroni, stir it to prevent sticking and determine through some previously obtained expertise when it is “done.” You must separate water from noodles using a specialized tool, a colander, and to complete the dish — such an insult — you have to measure and add the fatty deliciousness yourself, in the form of butter and milk that Kraft assumes you already have on hand. All that effort, plus the cleanup, is hardly worth it.

Ramen noodles, by contrast, are a dish of effortless purity. Like the egg, or tea, they attain a state of grace through a marriage with nothing but hot water. After three minutes in a yellow bath, the noodles soften. The pebbly peas and carrot chips turn practically lifelike. A near-weightless assemblage of plastic and foam is transformed into something any college student will recognize as food, for as little as 20 cents a serving.

There are some imperfections. The fragile cellophane around the ramen brick tends to open in a rush, spilling broken noodle bits around. The silver seasoning packet does not always tear open evenly, and bits of sodium essence can be trapped in the foil hollows, leaving you always to wonder whether the broth, rich and salty as it is, is as rich and salty as it could have been. The aggressively kinked noodles form an aesthetically pleasing nest in cup or bowl, but when slurped, their sharp bends spray droplets of broth that settle uncomfortably about the lips and leave dots on your computer screen.

But those are minor quibbles. Ramen noodles have earned Mr. Ando an eternal place in the pantheon of human progress. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. Give him ramen noodles, and you don’t have to teach him anything.

LAWRENCE DOWNES

#2 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:REAL hip-hop, psychology, and starting my own label

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

R.I.P.

Long live Ramen Noodles, the food of champions (and poor college students)

#3 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

*Starts Crying*

#4 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

damn, im going to eat some today in his memory

#5 geewon001

geewon001

Funky Psychic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Location:Detroit; "Tha Dee"; Motown; Murda Mitten; Dirty Glove; Iron Fist

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

On behalf of my own I'd like to say, THANK YOU VERY MUCH Mr. Momofuku Ando, for your Positive output in the Universe, for that, you're a great being indeed! R.I.P. and My Condolences to your family, friends, and all who grieve over your passing on(Madlib, Quasimoto, alotta potheads, and others etc.).

-"...It's always the good ones that have to die"{Inspectah Deck of the Wu Tang Clan/'Tearz'-enter the 36 chambers

A special thanks to Sanka for posting this, sad, but happy, great story! I had know idea of any of this info.

*on an extra sidenote*: My wife and I, plus the seeds love Top Ramen noodles & Cup Noodles, we eat them quite often on the go, and in between meals, or during lazy days and low on cash or groceries times, for like years, but neither of us have ever heard mention of Mr. Ando until now, seems kinda ironic to me....Well, he lived life with a very solid purpose and goal for life in mind, and offered everyone the gift of his invention, something that rich or poor, black or white, all mankind could benefit positively from, for that I would think the Heavenly Creator is well pleased? When my life is over one day, I pray that my life will have half of the positive parallels of the late, Mr. Momofuku Ando.

"Noodles=Long Life=Live Long" =says, my sister, and Mr. Ando proves it!!!!!

#6 geewon001

geewon001

Funky Psychic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Location:Detroit; "Tha Dee"; Motown; Murda Mitten; Dirty Glove; Iron Fist

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

Posted Image
Madlib & Lord Quas' better do a very nice track to get blunted to, then eat some Top Ramen, and dedicate it to Mr. Momofuku Ando. And, then release it on 12" and stonesthrow a Top Ramen recipe from Quas' and Madlib on the back cover, a la MF DOOM-'Potholders'12/mm..food, or a la MF DOOM/hhs.com exclu.'mm..leftovers' grannies mac'n'cheese recipe.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

glad to see that the person who probably ate the most ramen lived to be 96, a few mornings after i've questioned whether or not ramen would be the death of me...

#8 Otomo

Otomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

RIP, I owe him many many a meal.

#9 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:REAL hip-hop, psychology, and starting my own label

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

glad to see that the person who probably ate the most ramen lived to be 96, a few mornings after i've questioned whether or not ramen would be the death of me...

As we can see, we'll live longer if we keep eating it.

I truly think it was the greatest invention ever. Better that (most) TV dinners

#10 NineSSix

NineSSix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

R.I.P., without him, I'd starve in jail. I think I'll fix myself up a batch of sum Top Ramen today as well.

#11 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:44 PM

As we can see, we'll live longer if we keep eating it.

I truly think it was the greatest invention ever. Better that (most) TV dinners

yup....for 30 cents.....i can get down............

with all the money i saved from it, i was able to go to college, go to concerts, buy studio gear, buy fly gear, ............

momofuku ando............

respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users