13 replies to this topic

#1 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

"1983" got reviewed at everyone's favorite snobby online publication. It got a 5.8 out of 10. I'm sure a lot of people here would be mad at that.

#2 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

the fact that an instrumental hip hop album by a debut indie artist can score a review in such a popular website is not bad at all. lotus has done well with 1983, and plenty of good reviews.

#3 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:01 AM

dude got signed to WARP RECORDS for a release..... that's aphex territory..

#4 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:31 AM

yeah warp have changed alot nowdays they have indie band maximo park signed and jamie liddells was more justin timberlake meets vintage soul rather than bleep electronic,cant wait to hear what lotus puts out with warp personally

#5 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:19 AM

lotus is on warp? god damn thats good news

#6 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

pitchfork hates all good music.

#7 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

yeah warp have changed alot nowdays they have indie band maximo park signed and jamie liddells was more justin timberlake meets vintage soul rather than bleep electronic,cant wait to hear what lotus puts out with warp personally

jamie liddell is just one BIG bite off of jimi tenor!!!! - i wasted twelve bucks on that liddel album....

#8 kcat

kcat

Crate diggin' kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:beats, love songs, Simpsons, guitar

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

jamie liddell is just one BIG bite off of jimi tenor!!!! - i wasted twelve bucks on that liddel album....

I'm shocked you didn't do your "research" first! =p

#9 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

I'm shocked you didn't do your "research" first! =p

my friend who has been releasing singles for years on end and has played everywhere said i should cop it. we usually have have the same prefernce regarding beats. After listening to it i said "it reminds me too much of tenor. He agreed.

by the way Kcat - Kenny dope this saturday.. hahahhahahahhahahahhahah

#10 zomg

zomg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

well Aloe Blacc got 7-point-something. 5.8 sounds about right.

Pitchfork always seemed to urk me though. What miserable pricks do the reviews? I guess that's their trademark, people know them to be kind of "cold". At least, me, anyway.

#11 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

Pitchfork's reviews don't matter to me anymore. Checking it now for me is just to see how ridiculous the daily reviews are.

According to Pitchfork - Young Jeezy, Clipse, The Game, Justin Timberlake, Cam'ron are all > than Murs 3:16

BULLSHIT

#12 Otomo

Otomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

You can usually tell if a pitchfork reviewer is on top of his shit, err not. There are many good reviews and a few hit or miss. However must of the time reviewers have good knowledge of the music, and offer thought out explanations into what "say" album is lacking

According to Pitchfork - Young Jeezy, Clipse, The Game, Justin Timberlake, Cam'ron are all > than Murs 3:16

BULLSHIT

Those albums sell millions of copies, and half the kids you know get down with them. I know I'm digging the new JT jam. Those artists albums are masterpieces towards their target audience, and have achieved the goal of capturing mass audience. Comparing certain albums isn't fair, they function on different levels, with different intentions. Madlib knows he's not banging out the next black album, or Ludacris best seller, but he does his own thing. Underground hip hop is feisty, MC's clawing their way to a style, producers trying to do something different. The playing field down here is a war-zone, and sometimes it's hard to clearly define a winner. It's my opinion outside the public eye it's more difficult to gain a bangin review, your being compared to so many great efforts in music. Granted there have been many classic albums in the games larger spectrum. But it's a tougher scale for artists in the small, just by sheer quantity of musicians, and material coming out which doesn't go triple platinum. Until they've stood the test of time will you really know. Look at rolling stone early reviews of black sabbath, case closed.

#13 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

great point, but on a personal level, down to what I simply liked more, it's not even a competetion

and btw most of those albums are pretty good. I like the Game and I can't hate on JT either

#14 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

Pitchfork's reviews don't matter to me anymore. Checking it now for me is just to see how ridiculous the daily reviews are.

BULLSHIT

Murs Is Boring And Lame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users