27 replies to this topic

#1 yahnone

yahnone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/johnlooke

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

This is kind of a response to the question about either the sp 303 or the mpc 1000. I'm currently using the mpc 1k. Would there be and use of me also getting like an sp 303 or 404??? what are the sp's better for???

#2 Crackpipe Davis

Crackpipe Davis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

They all seem like entry level samplers. Keep using the mpc and save for some professional quality equipment.

#3 yahnone

yahnone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

Like what???

#4 j415

j415

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:21 AM

I'm currently using the mpc 1k. Would there be and use of me also getting like an sp 303 or 404??? what are the sp's better for???

no, unless you want fx's... sp's are good too for making beats... if you get one you might stop making beats on the 1k... i had a 1k and 303 and a 404... the 1k is dope, esp w/the jjos... but for me it felt like a super cpu... the 303 and 404 felt free... haha... there's a certain something about the sp's... i guess it's just easy to navigate thru??? no menus??? no nonsense sampling??? lots of sampling time??? less features, more use of your brain for creativity??? hook up a mic to the mic line input and hum a deep tone, isolate, eq and subsonic effect, re-sample to a pad then throw a pitch efffect on top instant bassline... i guess itz things like that, that makes the sp's unique... there's things you can do on a sp that the 1k can't and "vice versa..." good luck...peace...

#5 j415

j415

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

They all seem like entry level samplers. Keep using the mpc and save for some professional quality equipment.

lol, ok....

#6 nastywig

nastywig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Stop thinking about equipment and concentrate on technique. Stop caring about using what madlib uses. Do YOUR thing!

#7 Munoz387

Munoz387

Brothas can't see me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Ever notice the countless MPC 1k/SP 303-404 trade/help threads?

#8 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

Ever notice the countless MPC 1k/SP 303-404 trade/help threads?

we just want to shell out all our hard earned money on the right shit man B)

#9 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Dibiase
Ras G
Samiyam

wut.

D and I were talking about this a few nights back...the only box that's more fun to use than a 404 is the vagina.

#10 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

way more effects. mad people use the 303/404 + mpc setup, either with midi or without. obviously the mp sequencer is much better, but a lot of people sample into the sp and trigger it with the mp

#11 Mr.Marr

Mr.Marr

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

yeah honestly its out of personal preferance.. my first piece of gear was a 303 some odd 6-7 years ago.. been using it a ton, bought a MPC 1k last year, and after a month with it I took the damn thing back.. I couldnt see what advantage it would've given me honestly.. mind you I work a lot in ableton on the mac, so using the 303 I started by just recording layers of rythms etc.. the DSP effects in the thing are dope, and addictive + easy as hell to use... not like the MPC... it's all knobs with the 303... very intuitive.. good compression effects too.

as of now I dont use either right now, I've been using fxpansions GURU inside ableton, hooked with the trigger finger.. just seems easier for me, really quick edits and lets me add effects/master on the spot in a flash. But for anyone thinking about a 303, right now they are so damn cheap, I couldnt live with myself if I didnt recommend it to someone. Wether you wanna use it like a sampler or not, just the effects alone are handy to have on hand. With some odd cheap mic with a 1/4 inch output, you can make some nutso shit man.

#12 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

yeah honestly its out of personal preferance.. my first piece of gear was a 303 some odd 6-7 years ago.. been using it a ton, bought a MPC 1k last year, and after a month with it I took the damn thing back.. I couldnt see what advantage it would've given me honestly.. mind you I work a lot in ableton on the mac, so using the 303 I started by just recording layers of rythms etc.. the DSP effects in the thing are dope, and addictive + easy as hell to use... not like the MPC... it's all knobs with the 303... very intuitive.. good compression effects too.

as of now I dont use either right now, I've been using fxpansions GURU inside ableton, hooked with the trigger finger.. just seems easier for me, really quick edits and lets me add effects/master on the spot in a flash. But for anyone thinking about a 303, right now they are so damn cheap, I couldnt live with myself if I didnt recommend it to someone. Wether you wanna use it like a sampler or not, just the effects alone are handy to have on hand. With some odd cheap mic with a 1/4 inch output, you can make some nutso shit man.

if you're using live 8...you get the mpc groove plus drum racks without having to worry about plugin delay.

#13 yahnone

yahnone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

if you're using live 8...you get the mpc groove plus drum racks without having to worry about plugin delay.

THat was another question i had about ableton 7. I think my comp might just be too slow but im having problems with the latency when ever i plug it into my midi keyboard or try using it with the computer keyboard. someone suggested it might be the sample level or somthing like that any ideas?

#14 Mr.Marr

Mr.Marr

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

THat was another question i had about ableton 7. I think my comp might just be too slow but im having problems with the latency when ever i plug it into my midi keyboard or try using it with the computer keyboard. someone suggested it might be the sample level or somthing like that any ideas?

yeah, usually totally is the sample level, thats a really common problem/question a lot of people ask.. I went a while wondering what the F was up with that too haha, untill i started changing the sample level.

If you go into PREFERANCES / AUDIO / and look in the Latency section of it, you'll see the buffer size, and driver compensation.. a low buffer size will give you low latency, low lag, its also harder on your CPU, so if your using tons of plug-ins and got a lot going on, you'll get clipping at a low buffer size.. you can increase it, and try and compensate for it with driver compensation...

for example, if your input latency says 20.0 ms, try to adjust your driver compensation so it is -20.0 ms and that should do the trick..

A lot of people assume its their computer at first.. pretty much the only time it is the comp would be if you got something archaic with very little ram or a crappy processer, or you jam packed your hard drive or something almost overloading it.

#15 Mr.Marr

Mr.Marr

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

unfortunately I'm too cheap to upgrade to live 8 haha. I'm still on 6.. for what I do, the upgrades they made with 7 and 8 don't really justify the pice of upgrade.. I'd rather put it towards a new synth or peice of gear or something haha.

#16 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

what soundcard are you running? Are you connecting the midi controller via usb or via midi cable? Usb adds to the latency which makes things painful (i.e. Trigger Finger).

The best strategy is to find a low level latency soundcard, and do a direct mid connection to your soundcard and just power it via power adaptor. Don't believe the hype, you don't need a first party power adapter, go out to radioshack and match the connections and voltage. Then that should help a bit.

if you are using a stock pc soundcard make sure you download this generic asio driver at www.asio4all.com that will help with things as well.

As for live 7, it seems to be the most stable release out right now. Live 8 is good as long as you are running it on an xp based system. Hopefully version 8.0.5 will make things more stable. I am gonna start running that beta version in windows 7 enivornment and hopefully it will be smoother.

#17 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

unfortunately I'm too cheap to upgrade to live 8 haha. I'm still on 6.. for what I do, the upgrades they made with 7 and 8 don't really justify the pice of upgrade.. I'd rather put it towards a new synth or peice of gear or something haha.

Um, what made live 7 so badass was not just the drumracks, but a full 64 bit mix engine which means your mixes have more accurate metering which leads to better sounding beats with less time adjusting the levels in another DAW.

by the way did you see the new dave smith Tetra synth? 4 voices, full analog path....only 800 bucks...off topic, but i like to tempt people.

#18 Crackpipe Davis

Crackpipe Davis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

Like what???

Posted Image

#19 Mr.Marr

Mr.Marr

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:29 AM

Um, what made live 7 so badass was not just the drumracks, but a full 64 bit mix engine which means your mixes have more accurate metering which leads to better sounding beats with less time adjusting the levels in another DAW.

by the way did you see the new dave smith Tetra synth? 4 voices, full analog path....only 800 bucks...off topic, but i like to tempt people.

yussir I did. I actually just ordered one in from my local shop the other day. Waiting in the mail. Can't wait. Just picked up a moog LP last month, can't wait to use it with a 4 voice analog ;)

#20 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

the only box that's more fun to use than a 404 is the vagina.

FOR US MAYBE.

For the vagina:
Posted Image

#21 yahnone

yahnone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

yeah, usually totally is the sample level, thats a really common problem/question a lot of people ask.. I went a while wondering what the F was up with that too haha, untill i started changing the sample level.

If you go into PREFERANCES / AUDIO / and look in the Latency section of it, you'll see the buffer size, and driver compensation.. a low buffer size will give you low latency, low lag, its also harder on your CPU, so if your using tons of plug-ins and got a lot going on, you'll get clipping at a low buffer size.. you can increase it, and try and compensate for it with driver compensation...

for example, if your input latency says 20.0 ms, try to adjust your driver compensation so it is -20.0 ms and that should do the trick..

A lot of people assume its their computer at first.. pretty much the only time it is the comp would be if you got something archaic with very little ram or a crappy processer, or you jam packed your hard drive or something almost overloading it.

Cool thanks this helps.

#22 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

yussir I did. I actually just ordered one in from my local shop the other day. Waiting in the mail. Can't wait. Just picked up a moog LP last month, can't wait to use it with a 4 voice analog :D

niiiice.....don't forget you can use the curtis analog filter on that machine to feed your drums through to make them extra crisp...

#23 adekin

adekin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

Anyone seen/used the new Roland SP-404 SX?

http://www.roland.co...e...=10043&c=84

#24 Liv

Liv

the mean mugging scapegoat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

why are them bitches so fucking expensive ???
I ain't gonna have any money left to buy records...& food

#25 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

oooh what is that? supports SD and SDHC cards? 'bout fuckin time! Also looks like maybe you can load audio directly from your PC....nice!! when did this come out?

#26 adekin

adekin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

oooh what is that? supports SD and SDHC cards? 'bout fuckin time! Also looks like maybe you can load audio directly from your PC....nice!! when did this come out?

I just checked the Roland site today to see if there were any new products (i.e. a new SP) in the works or anything - and I notice this on the "New" section.

Can't find much info on it anywhere else

#27 htnoppy

htnoppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Also, make sure you have an ASIO compliant sound card and have it enabled in ableton. This makes a huuuuge difference. My latency went from 150ms to 20ms just by doing this.

Side note: Drinking way too much co-co-co-coffee today.

#28 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

looks tempting.....must walk away from it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users