• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Diss04

Diss04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:34 AM

alright people i'm quite new on here and i'm looking to get into music producing but i dont want to go for something really polished and simple as i am more into the madlib style sample based production and i would like to know whats some equipment that is (quite) easy to use and wont cost me that much as i'm a bit hard up as of late.

cheers

#2 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:16 AM

alright people i'm quite new on here and i'm looking to get into music producing but i dont want to go for something really polished and simple as i am more into the madlib style sample based production and i would like to know whats some equipment that is (quite) easy to use and wont cost me that much as i'm a bit hard up as of late.

cheers

Look at some of the postings in previous topics. There has been a lot of talk about that as of late and you'll probably get a good idea of what you are looking for.

#3 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

i am more into the madlib style sample based production

if u wanna achieve that dusty madlib sound, there are a few things you can do before you even buy any bits of studio kit.

firstly shove socks in your ears (high frequencies aren't cool)

get so stoned that you would be willing to sample any old fuckin crap as long as it's off some really old poor quality vinyl with loads of hiss and crackle all over it.

stay in your room for a couple of weeks with the windows shut and blinds closed. the rank smell of B.O and stale bud absorbed into furniture makes you a better beat maker.

invent some wacky aliases for all your other pointless projects that only you will enjoy.

find out about drum lessons. (doesn't matter if ur terrible on the drums. it's all part of the jazz)

now you're ready to go out and buy some hardware samplers. remember you're not allowed to use a computer, only "fakes" use computers. any music that was made on a computer isn't actually real.

#4 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,497 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:01 AM

funny but sooo true

#5 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

yup thats what i did, i was lost without madlib and then i just bit his style CALM PLETE LEEE

know i am depressed and have yelllow skin and smell really bad but i make duuurrrrrtty beats!

Posted Image

#6 stopover bombay.

stopover bombay.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:music. film. rapp cats. warhol. hieroglyphics. vinyl. pop eye. butter. arts. the beats. the meats. spank rock. word. stylus. heads. stickers. samples.

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

erm, well i'm not gonna take the piss cos i appreciate madlib for what he does, and i actually believe that he has artistic qualities and isn't just a stoned hip hopper.

all i know is that madlib uses mainly a boss sp-303, an emu sp 1200, and an mpc 4000. basically you should just stay true to yourself and don't bite madlib's style, all though his style isn't completely exclusive, i mean he does actually mainly use proven formulas. hip hop formulas that can be heard by pete rock though to the rza.

if you actually like the records you want to use and appreciate all types of music then you shouldn't really have a problem. when you buy records you should try to get stuff that looks crazy or stuff that you know will be good. if you go to some good record shops then most records that you pick out will be good.

stick to drum loops and very simple combinations. no more than say three or four layers. and just sample things that sound good to you; there's no need to be thinking "oh, madlib would probably sample this", cos that's not true to yourself.

as equipment goes, there's no need to spend a lot. you can just pick up a cheap little turntable from a second hand shop and a cheap sampler like the 303. just connect it to your stereo and you've got yourself a set-up.

#7 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

when you buy records you should try to get stuff that looks crazy or stuff that you know will be good.

i KNEW there was something i'm doing wrong......

by the way, yeah it seems like i'm dissing madlib.. and yeah i am. coz basically the shite he churns out nowadays bores the shit outta me. i like his older ish and can't be bothered to pretend i like his newer stuff just so i can stay acceptably "open minded" .

i think it's mostly his "oh i'm just so blunted" attitude that makes him very enjoyable to rip the piss out of. sorry. actually no i'm not really sorry.. its fun.

#8 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

patch your pretty much right

when madlib wants to do it right he really really does,when he wants to knock out any old shite he also does and people buy it and love it

as for records if they smell like they have some dopeness on them,then buy them quick!

#9 Diss04

Diss04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

patch your pretty much right

when madlib wants to do it right he really really does,when he wants to knock out any old shite he also does and people buy it and love it

as for records if they smell like they have some dopeness on them,then buy them quick!

so anyway if i want to sample records from vinyl and use 'em in production can someone very kind give me a list of stuff i'd need becuase i dont wanna have to part with my money only to find out i'm missing somethin'..

cheers again

oh and i didnt say i wanted to 'bite' on madlibs style, but at the time that was the only way i could describe the sample-heavy style of production i was aiming for.

#10 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

alot of heads may try and push you towards getting a 303 but your prob better off with an mpc possibly the 1000 depends on your budget

#11 Roughian

Roughian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:The study into the actions of any pimp, mack, player or hustler, in that particular order.

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

Co-sign ^

Alot of people seem to think that the 303 is Madlib's end all to be all sampler machine... for some of his beats, yes, but not all of them.

WITHTHATSAIDTHO...

You can make one hell of a beat on the 303... or the 404. Why not get the 404? I'm currently using it right now, and I love it. The limitations are beautiful. I honestly don't see why someone would pick up a 303 over a 404, besides price. Really though, head on down to your local shop [guitar center... wherever] and try em out. See what's best for you. Maybe it's the MPC-1000, it costs a grand, but it's a great machine. Just test them all out and see how YOU want to make beats, if it's looping up a 2 bar sample and adding drums, you don't really need to break the bank on a MPC-2500.

Remember though, it isn't what you have, it's what you do with it.

#12 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

Remember though, it isn't what you have, it's what you do with it.

Posted Image

#13 High Dreams

High Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

coz basically the shite he churns out nowadays bores the shit outta me. i like his older ish and can't be bothered to pretend i like his newer stuff just so i can stay acceptably "open minded" .

i think i was the first one to say i wasn't really feeling the liberation beats, but this isn't right. some of his shit does bore me, but to say he's not putting anything dope out now is wrong. it's still the same ratio of dopeness to whateverness as the old stuff, but the best of the new stuff is tighter than the oldies... monkey suite was dope.

#14 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

i think i was the first one to say i wasn't really feeling the liberation beats, but this isn't right. some of his shit does bore me, but to say he's not putting anything dope out now is wrong. it's still the same ratio of dopeness to whateverness as the old stuff, but the best of the new stuff is tighter than the oldies... monkey suite was dope.

if i dont think madlibs recent output is dope, that is wrong?? hmm. ok. um.

you're right "monkey suite" is a good track. and there was a few beats off part1 of movie scenes that i liked. but thats pretty old now anyway. damn. like an entire year! haha. but then when you're thinking about how much Madlib churns out, that IS a long time.

his newer stuff is just more "miss" than "hit" in my ears.

now where's my Kankick records gone?

#15 Vynal Duss

Vynal Duss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

I would suggest going to a store and messing with different equipment. Over the years I have accumilated a few pieces of kit, some are my favorite pieces, and others are for special projects, but they all are dope. And no, you dont have to break the bank on gear. But what you will have to do is find whats right for you! Good luck, hope everything works out, Peace.

#16 stopover bombay.

stopover bombay.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:music. film. rapp cats. warhol. hieroglyphics. vinyl. pop eye. butter. arts. the beats. the meats. spank rock. word. stylus. heads. stickers. samples.

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

so anyway if i want to sample records from vinyl and use 'em in production can someone very kind give me a list of stuff i'd need becuase i dont wanna have to part with my money only to find out i'm missing somethin'..

cheers again

oh and i didnt say i wanted to 'bite' on madlibs style, but at the time that was the only way i could describe the sample-heavy style of production i was aiming for.

all you actually need is a record player with a phono cable, and a sampler - and a pair of headphones if you can't afford speakers, but you can connect it all to a stereo. the sampler is your choice; the most popular ones are the boss sp-303 and mpcs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users