• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JIMMI RIGGZ

JIMMI RIGGZ

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

so my boy bought a copy of champion sound today (on wax) but "The Red" is over a different beat (Dilla beat still), looking at all the album notes etc. there's no mention of a different version. Am i just late on this or what's up? also, the original version is not on the album

peace

#2 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

so my boy bought a copy of champion sound today (on wax) but "The Red" is over a different beat (Dilla beat still), looking at all the album notes etc. there's no mention of a different version. Am i just late on this or what's up? also, the original version is not on the album

peace

"The Red" on original Champion Sound got ST in deep due to sample clearance issues. The original version of "The Red" only appears on the original CS on LP, CD & 12".
When CS was re-issued on CD deluxe version (2 dsic) it had a remix on it as they couldn't use the original.
Champion Sound was just re-issued on vinyl, and as it's a re-issue, they used the remix.
For some reason there was no news on the ST page that the vinyl was re-issued, nor is it available in the ST store.
Nothing on the vinyl re-issue states that it's a re-issue.
Everybody who has the original pressing should be happy, as I think it will be hard to find now that the re-issue is out there.
Hope that helps - you have the reissue.
I do still wonder why ST didn't announce the re-issue, but c'est la vie.
Going to grab my re-issue on the weekend I think - can't wait to find the original.

#3 JIMMI RIGGZ

JIMMI RIGGZ

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

really.
huh.
never heard/knew anything about that, glad i got 2 copies of the original, and instrumentals (wonder if the repress of instrumentals will have the different versions aswell). "No Games" has a different beat too, i like it, i wonder if the doom version will get switched up on represses.

thanks!

peace!

#4 SanCarlos

SanCarlos

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

really.
huh.
never heard/knew anything about that, glad i got 2 copies of the original, and instrumentals (wonder if the repress of instrumentals will have the different versions aswell). "No Games" has a different beat too, i like it, i wonder if the doom version will get switched up on represses.

thanks!

peace!

i loved the new beats for both tracks, but pretty much why they had to use different tracks was cause people need to know the samples for them and that blew up and somehow the original artists found out and threatened to sue, most likely.

to qukfit

they did announce the release im too lazy to find it but they did along with other albums.

#5 Munoz387

Munoz387

Brothas can't see me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

Due to a lawsuit on the CD version, they had to change the beat. The beat you hear on the CD version was supposed to be a remix.
...If I'm not mistaken.

#6 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

Does anyone have The Red/The Official 12" and which cover does it have? I have one somewhere but can't find it.

#7 MattCoops

MattCoops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Discogs?

#8 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

Does anyone have The Red/The Official 12" and which cover does it have? I have one somewhere but can't find it.

I own a copy.  The for-promo-only 12" from '03 has the original beat … not the version we hear on the CD.  Just played my 12" and the CD to be certain.  It's a clean mix too, not sure why.  I can not stand clean records.  Actually bought Beanie Sigel's The Truth (full album) the other day and it turned out to be a clean mix without my knowing.  WACK

For reference: 

#9 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

The for-promo-only 12" from '03

So how many different versions of the 12" are there? 2 or 3?

i have this one (or use to) http://www.ebay.com/itm/231979374474

but i've never seen this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/282076386140
  • OfficeTime8889 likes this

#10 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

Wish I had the jacket but my copy came w/ the generic white sleeve.  Just noticed on the label is says, "If you're selling this you should be ashamed of your cheap-ass self."  HAHHAAAHA

#11 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:34 AM

So how many different versions of the 12" are there? 2 or 3?

i have this one (or use to) http://www.ebay.com/itm/231979374474

Got this one as well.

#12 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Interests:All Love and Praise goes to my fallen brother St. Manute.
  • Soundcloud:Nick Papadopoulos 4

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:29 PM

Still my favorite track for a number of reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users