31 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby Wham

Bobby Wham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

Man, I've had the promo for a couple weeks, and I gotta say (no disrespect to Dilla, I'm not sure how much creative contol he had over this) This album's pretty weak, Beats, all incredible obviously. Cause I'm a big Dilla fan just like everyone here, but what's up with the half assed rhyming all over it??? Man. That song "Red Light" by J. Davey? one of the most killer beats I've heard from Dilla. I've been riding to that beat for like a year and a half off a beat tape. This chick sounds so weak over it, why couldn't it go to Guilty or Phat Kat? Man they would have killed this one. The wack ass singing on "Sun In My Face", "Say It" is pretty good, I love the beat from way back, but Ta'Raach doesn't add much to it, he's kind of just there.

Anyone heard this album yet? Thoughts?

#2 git

git

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

i know wot u sayin', some of its passable, i just kinda ignore the vox and try to listen beyond em.

#3 sinnernyc

sinnernyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:49 AM

got it and i agree with what you are saying about that rhyming. the beats are tight as usual especially "can't you see" and " in the streets" which are only instumentals anyway. maybe he just wanted to give some other mc's a chance to shine. by the way, that girl is awful but she sounds hot. since it's such an early promo the actual release will be different. still love most of it though and i will love anything dilla puts out.

#4 defter

defter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:27 AM

since it's such an early promo the actual release will be different. still love most of it though and i will love anything dilla puts out.

Sadly, I agree with what has been posted here, but I wonder - what makes you think the official release will be different? it'd be nice if it was, but I'm wondering if you have some inside info, or just kinda guessing..

meanwhile, I hope the continue putting stuff out - mcs just over beattape beats. I'd buy MED, Guilty, F n D etc over those beats whenever they came out.. I'm sure many would.

#5 sinnernyc

sinnernyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

just guessing but most likely wrong

#6 Hyme_Ballin

Hyme_Ballin

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

J-Davey sucks. Not even a Dilla beat could save her.

but...Blu on that Dilla? Dope. He's probally my fav. new rapper.

#7 Snit

Snit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:lampin

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

i'm like, a Dilla fan. .. and fans keep it cool .. so, so should u's :D

#8 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:REAL hip-hop, psychology, and starting my own label

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

I'll get it because it's Dilla, that's all.

I LOVE the Beat tape more! 40-something tracks of greatness :wub:

#9 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

i've heard the instrumentals here and there....

i dont have the track names....

"say it" just kills it...

the other joint im feeling is on the west london sound tip is real hot.

#10 kdubs

kdubs

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:08 PM

where do all you guys grab these promos from? i wanna hear this shit.

#11 DJBIGPHILL

DJBIGPHILL

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

Red Light" by J. Davey? one of the most killer beats I've heard from Dilla. I've been riding to that beat for like a year and a half off a beat tape. This chick sounds so weak over it, why couldn't it go to Guilty or Phat Kat? Man they would have killed this one

actauly j davey does her thing on that and phat cat does have a joint to that same beat...of course phat cat destroys that beat, but has he ever been whack?

#12 KennyFresh

KennyFresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

Man, I've had the promo for a couple weeks, and I gotta say (no disrespect to Dilla, I'm not sure how much creative contol he had over this) This album's pretty weak, Beats, all incredible obviously. Cause I'm a big Dilla fan just like everyone here, but what's up with the half assed rhyming all over it??? Man. That song "Red Light" by J. Davey? one of the most killer beats I've heard from Dilla. I've been riding to that beat for like a year and a half off a beat tape. This chick sounds so weak over it, why couldn't it go to Guilty or Phat Kat? Man they would have killed this one. The wack ass singing on "Sun In My Face", "Say It" is pretty good, I love the beat from way back, but Ta'Raach doesn't add much to it, he's kind of just there.

Anyone heard this album yet? Thoughts?

I haven't heard the rest (I don't download bootlegs)
But Ta'Raach killed "Say It" - LOL @ "he was just there"

for anyone who hasn't heard it - check http://www.myspace.com/taraach

and i haven't heard the track with Blu yet, but he always comes with it
so i'm sure he repped that beat properly as well

#13 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:17 PM

anything that taraach/lacks touches is nice.

be on the lookout.

the joint he did with aloe blac - nathaniel kills it...

#14 KennyFresh

KennyFresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

anything that taraach/lacks touches is nice.
be on the lookout.
the joint he did with aloe blac - nathaniel kills it...

true story, people.
listen up!

#15 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Love how NahRight is 10 years off, saying this is the 1996 OG promo for the album.  Anywho, this is my first time seeing this… pretty dope.  Still uncertain as to the origins of the ​Jay Love Japan title itself though.  Any articles on the inspiration behind the title?

• Mr Teeth and GC90 like this

#16 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

Huh. Unexpected re-release. I'm personally fine with the original CD though.

Still uncertain as to the origins of the ​Jay Love Japan title itself though.  Any articles on the inspiration behind the title?

The sales text for the album says simply:

"In 2005, rumors began circulating about an album called Jay Love Japan, a J Dilla solo project inspired by one of Jay Dee's favorite locations to visit on tour."

#17 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Are they not telling what the expanded bonus track is?

"Just in time for Mother's Day, J Dilla's mother Ma Dukes and her label Vintage Vibez Music Group are proud to present official vinyl and CD versions of Jay Love Japan. "

Yet another new label associated with Dilla

#18 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

Are they not telling what the expanded bonus track is?

You mean what's on the 7" flexi?

s667787981863420565_p22_i13_w800.jpeg

Not sure what Cannonball is.

#19 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

I remember seeing the "OG" CD -- maybe bootleg? -- at my local record store years ago.  They had it priced around $15.  If I didn't have the zip, I would have made the purchase.  That said, I couldn't care less about a Jay Love Japan reissue aside from the backstory.  There has to be more to it the a preferred touring destination, doesn't there?  I don't believe he would pay such marked homage to an entire country/ culture for such a casual experience. 

#20 GC90

GC90

Plibt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

Love how NahRight is 10 years off, saying this is the 1996 OG promo for the album.  Anywho, this is my first time seeing this… pretty dope.  Still uncertain as to the origins of the ​Jay Love Japan title itself though.  Any articles on the inspiration behind the title?

Haha, it's been so long since seeing this vid. Listened to this one quite a bit when I was first getting into Dilla, might pick up the CD for lossless 

#21 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

I came across this 2008 post from jdilla.net, written by what appears to be the original label for this project, OX Operation Unknown. Tells a really unfortunate backstory to the album...

Spoiler

So from what I've gathered, the first CD by OX is legit (referring to the release on Fat Beats, and mention of iTunes which shares the same artwork) - vinyl is what got heavily booted, in 2 versions I guess?

The proper release they talk at the end would've looked like this:

credit: http://justinabbink....ay-loves-japan/

• Mr Teeth, OfficeTime8889, GC90 and 1 other like this

#22 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

^^ incredible –– good work dude, thanks.  Surprising that that art hasn't circulated more considering it bears Dilla's face…  I  know the photograph it draws from is the one used on the flip side of the Deelicious vinyl LP but still

Who's the shady cat they're talking about?  Not this fucking guy I hope… https://youtu.be/UbSMF0Zrt08?t=7m10s.

Also interesting to note how 9 times out of 10 House Shoe's is thanked for his contributions and for making a Dilla project possible yet Ma Dukes and company have gone out of their way to drag his name and credibility through the mud.

PS., there's been 15-20 posthumous Dilla releases.  At some point one of us should make a running list to collectively shake our heads to, lol

#23 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

I cameSo from what I've gathered, the first CD by OX is legit (referring to the release on Fat Beats, and mention of iTunes which shares the same artwork) - vinyl is what got heavily booted, in 2 versions I guess?

The proper release they talk at the end would've looked like this:

credit: http://justinabbink....ay-loves-japan/

The whole Jay Love Japan episode was a little sickening to me. Unfortunately it was the first of many.  

One caveat to the story here:  artwork you link to there is based on a photo by B+ which he didn't even print until after J Dilla passed -- I remember showing that link to B, who hadn't seen or heard anything about it before.  Needless to say the record never came out anyway, so terms like "legit," "proper release," and "official release" don't carry weight.  

The unnamed "ex-employee" also turned on in the credits for Jay Stay Paid, which had the same revisionist fan-made feel of the latter version of Jay Love Japan and a few of the others.

• Mr Teeth, OfficeTime8889, felixherandez and 1 other like this

#24 1-800-HASHBROWN

1-800-HASHBROWN

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

I came across this 2008 post from jdilla.net, written by what appears to be the original label for this project, OX Operation Unknown. Tells a really unfortunate backstory to the album...

wow i never had any idea this went on behind the scenes with this specific release. 
of course, this interview was from the label's perspective and is only one side of the story
but, as history unfolded, it seems like the album was plagued with wrong intentions from jump; or at least deviated
from their initial intentions at some point.

if anything, this provides a little more info on the Dilla/ Operation Unknown connect---which caught me a bit
off guard at the time because I thought Dilla had been well situated with ST. NOT to knock Operation Unknown,
but it was a very new boutique label at the time with a solid starting lineup but very few releases/track record
....AND as underground labels go, their projected life expectancy didn't seem too long. 

honestly thought it was an offshoot/ vanity label by Sound In Color refugees after that ship went down.
although Sound In Color had an impressive string of releases and quality pressing/art/packaging(for early -mid 2000s),
it was rumored at the time that there were some highly questionable business practices and equally questionable sources of funding 'goings on' (Bernie Mac voice) at the label (whose name and logo were re appropriated for Blu and Mainframe's NewWorldColor a few years back)      

personally, i wouldn't have known of Operation Unknown if it wasn't for Ricci Rucker and his pronnouncements/announcements of a new Baatin record at the time. also had no idea that it was via POLY (..& GB/RR's solo stuff) that attracted Dilla to the label...which now makes sense in hindsight and later reinforced by Ricci Rucker/Ruckazoid's raps on his Killin' DJs vol1 joint (and his various tweets over the years). always wondered if Dilla had crossed paths with either one of them and what info was discussed/exchanged.

first time hearing that Oxtopus Boom Boom joint was via Ricci Rucker's website sometime after Dilla's passing. thought it was a one off track and had mixed feelings at the time.  although i loved how raw and unapologetically underground it was---essentially a zone-out type track that you'd find on a forward thinking scratch/break record ; Dilla rhyming over a smoked out version of a dirtystyle beat with cuts --- Dilla's frailty was quite audible and even possibly hinted at within the rhyme via some cloaked basketball lines  "I'm ill with the pill, you tired and take 2". needless to say, the song and moreso Dilla's affiliation seemed to bare  no rhyme,reason or project  UNTIL the Jay Love Japan rapidshares/yousendit/megaupload/blogspot links started popping up. even after seeing the ads in waxpoetics, i remained highly skeptical of the project's authenticity and legitimacy. i did not know  at the time how blu.miguel, RR, jdavey etc were affiliated with Dilla and his camp. reading that interview definitely helped clear some of that up.

the un-named employee must've be quite the opportunistic snake by gaining and subsequently abusing the trust of both dilla and his family and (directly or indirectly) affecting other artists' scheduled releases on the label. i imagine dilla had to be quite impressed by this person enough to agree to signing with the "Unknown" label. it's also crazy that this person is supposedly a well known figure within the scene and nobody has called him/her out by name as far we know. doubt many care at this point but, to each his/her reach...

i may be far off with my assessment, but i'm just like any other fan (outside of America and the LA scene specifically) trying to connect the dots and fill in the blanks from afar with whatever available information.

http://forum.diggers...php/t-3055.html

#25 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

I wonder if this mystery person is Devin Horwitz, the dude who runs Nature Sounds??

I've met and been around Dev before and he seems like a cool dude … I've never heard anything inflammatory explicitly linked to him, I'm just trying to connect the dots here so I mean no wrong nor harm to him.  He has my complete respect until I have reason to feel otherwise.  More importantly, Dev's a part of some of the posthumous projects: ​Jay Stay Paid, Dilla weekend here in Miami, and I believe the Jay Love Japan reissue.  I have reason to believe he runs the Dillatronic SoundCloud.  I say that to say that he's as hands-on as anyone at this point with Dilla's posthumous work. 

Getting slightly off topic here but I've found it interesting how divided the Dilla camp and associates are.  Some of them won't acknowledge certain releases and/ or events.  You'd think if some of these folks TRULY had the best intentions, they'd support the legitimate releases like The Diary, not these fictitious beat tapes/ money grabs.  

• felixherandez likes this

#26 PADYBU

PADYBU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:beats.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/padybu

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

1. Can't You See - from the '06 leak   (loud mastered & bass boosted)
2. Sun In My Face - from the '06 leak   (loud mastered)
3. In The Streets - from the '07 release   (loud mastered compared to the '06 leak)
4. Oh Oh - from the '07 release.
5. Say It - from the '07 release   (loud mastered compared to the '06 leak)
6. Lucy - from the '06 leak.
7. First Time - from the '07 release, the original features Pacific Vision.
8. Red Light - from the '06 leak.
9. Outro - Track 32 from the Motown Beat Tape
10. Yesterday - Track 06 from the Motown Beat Tape...which is of better audio quality

I suggest everyone download Dilla's Motown Beat Tape instead of this if you don't already have it, all beats except track 5-8 are from the tape, plus it's created by the man himself.

• soulREBEL360 and OfficeTime8889 like this

#27 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

Shortly after, a now ex-employee (which will go unnamed, those who know, know) began exploiting the situation and confusion surrounding his death. We'll even go as far as saying that this person was anticipating this situation.

the guy he's talking about, no it's not the nature sounds guy, it's a west coast guy who worked at a bunch of labels and has an "A&R" credit on Jay stays paid and did some stuff w/ blu

#28 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

^^ confirmed that it's not D. Horwitz

#29 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

I checked him out and apparently he's listed as an "A&R" on other projects like Phil Da Agony's Think Green, !llmind's Behind The Curtain, Hell Razah's Heaven Razah and last but not least Mobb Deep's The Infamous Instrumentals (LOL). Shit like this makes my blood boil, for real...wouldn't be nice to say what's crossing my mind right now regarding this piece of shit conman. Anyone that read 'The Divine Comedy' knows that the deepest circles of hell are reserved for him.

#30 1-800-HASHBROWN

1-800-HASHBROWN

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

http://thefindmag.co...view-mainframe/

You did some work with J Dilla, including A&R for the ‘Jay Stay Paid‘ album of 2009, can you let us know what other work you did for him?

First & foremost Dilla was a great friend & will forever be an ultimate inspiration for my family and me. I will always remember him as a humble hard worker, an innovator, & creator of timeless music. On the business side of things, Dilla and I created a company called All I.D. (Dilla backwards). A lot of it revolved around music, but we also worked on plenty of visual projects as well. We would mainly just bounce energy around & execute what was in our mind, and then spend the rest of the time thinking of more ideas.

It was an amazing experience being able to have Dilla share his thoughts with me, what he envisioned in regards to how things will evolve, and what he expected of the future. It was nothing but respect, and I felt like we appreciated each others presence & were just helping each other develop our ideas into reality.

bonus:

*(MainFrame finally gets up to answer his phone that keeps ringing & disappears for 5 minutes. He casually returns & requests for the next question stating that we need to speed this interview up because he has a session w/ the Artist formerly known as Prince.)*

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users