• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

I got a 303 for X mas. I have learned a lot. I've learned how to record my own samples in, screw with effecets, edit samples, blahzey'blah....

But check it. I'm having trouble getting the pattern creation shit down. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with just getting used to it. However, I am having trouble getting the patterns to really lock in and sound smooth. Any suggestions? Sites I should check out? Anything?

Thanks peoples....

#2 beetjunkeeee

beetjunkeeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

yea get a mpcxl..... the 303 sequencer suks dirty assholes.....if u feel u must use it, then i suggest turning off the quantize.....wich can be found in the manual....

#3 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:39 AM

yea get a mpcxl..... the 303 sequencer suks dirty assholes.....if u feel u must use it, then i suggest turning off the quantize.....wich can be found in the manual....

Well, I can't get the MPCXL, because I'm broke. However, I will try taking the quantize off. Thanks bro.

#4 stopover bombay.

stopover bombay.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:music. film. rapp cats. warhol. hieroglyphics. vinyl. pop eye. butter. arts. the beats. the meats. spank rock. word. stylus. heads. stickers. samples.

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:17 AM

wow. i have a 303 on the way. i hope i don't have trouble with it.

#5 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

STMB Hooligan/Ne'er-do-well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:22 AM

Ahhhh yes, like the pied piper Madlib has led the youth with his golden 303. :blink:

I've got one, but I don't use it for sequencing. I use Adobe Audition (CEP) for that, the 303 is used mainly for playing out live drums, live samples, or SFX for my radio show. Everything I use the 303 for is live, live live live....I like the feel of the pads.

I haven't sequenced anything on the 303 ever, and I've never read the manual. So there.

#6 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

Ahhhh yes, like the pied piper Madlib has led the youth with his golden 303. :blink:

I've got one, but I don't use it for sequencing. I use Adobe Audition (CEP) for that, the 303 is used mainly for playing out live drums, live samples, or SFX for my radio show. Everything I use the 303 for is live, live live live....I like the feel of the pads.

I haven't sequenced anything on the 303 ever, and I've never read the manual. So there.

Wow, I think I could have done without this entire post. I got the 303 because it's cheap and a buddy of mine has managed to make some great beats with it....Madlib had nothing to do with it. Truthfully, I don't believe the idea that Madlib only uses an 303...just a thought, but it really has nothing to do with this post.

Moving on to what this is about....

I've been thinking about using my 303 along with Acid pro to sequence has anyone else done anything like this? Any suggestions?

#7 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

every beat ive ever made has been solely on the 303 --- it's dead limiting but sometimes that eggs you on to create something good through all the limitations.... think outside the box and all that. other times it just means you get annoyed or make a half arsed beat. win some lose some.

i just trigger all my samples live as i record it onto a minidisc or onto soundstudio on the mac. it's not perfect buit it gives it a human element. i have no idea how the sequencer works on this thing.

the 303 is an aweswome little machine for the price... you could do far worse than get one. but im beginning to think i need more eqiptment to make a good beat. i'm having a proper beat-makers-block for the last few months.... it all seems like a waste of time. i'd rather just listen to my records. hopefully i'll get over it.

...sorry, off topic a little bit there.

#8 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

every beat ive ever made has been solely on the 303 --- it's dead limiting but sometimes that eggs you on to create something good through all the limitations.... think outside the box and all that. other times it just means you get annoyed or make a half arsed beat. win some lose some.

i just trigger all my samples live as i record it onto a minidisc or onto soundstudio on the mac. it's not perfect buit it gives it a human element. i have no idea how the sequencer works on this thing.

the 303 is an aweswome little machine for the price... you could do far worse than get one. but im beginning to think i need more eqiptment to make a good beat. i'm having a proper beat-makers-block for the last few months.... it all seems like a waste of time. i'd rather just listen to my records. hopefully i'll get over it.

...sorry, off topic a little bit there.

Nah, man. I appreciate the info. I've heard your beats and I liked the sound. It was like another testimonial that helped push me towards getting the 303. I really think that if I use it with AcidPRO, then it will really help me put som stuff together.

#9 staychisel

staychisel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:37 AM

so what's the consensus on the sp 303/404? i am looking to invest around 400-500 on a drum machine and my gut instinct isn't feeling too good on the sp-404. the only thing that attracts me is the price, any other suggestions for the under $500 price range? an mpc would obviously be ideal, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. anyone got opinions on those akai or korg drum pads? not the machines, but the pads you can hit drums with on your computer...anyone?

#10 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

Wow, I think I could have done without this entire post. I got the 303 because it's cheap and a buddy of mine has managed to make some great beats with it....Madlib had nothing to do with it. Truthfully, I don't believe the idea that Madlib only uses an 303.

obviously you are new to the board.

obviously

just breaking it down for you broham...

#11 LoopSkywalker

LoopSkywalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:bars on mars.

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

fuck a mp for now. just do your thing on the sp. check out the 505 tho.
work with a metronome, yeah it sounds dumb, but how else can you practice your timing?

#12 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

fuck a mp for now. just do your thing on the sp. check out the 505 tho.
work with a metronome, yeah it sounds dumb, but how else can you practice your timing?

Speaking of metronome, can you take the metronome OFF while recording a pattern with the 303? I love the metronome at times, but sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time trying to get the clicks to line up with the samples tempo. I doubt this is possible with the 303, just curious....

Thanks

#13 juta

juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

yeah try pressing start/end/level aand then tweak the right knob. that should make you control the metronome volume

#14 Automaton

Automaton

Rookie

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

Screw using a 303. Anyone on this message board's got to have a computer. Get yourself Cubase/Ableton Live/Protools/ Reason/ whatever and you will be sequencing perfect loops in no time.

Yeah you won't get kudos in hip hop circles for bigging up a PC over a 303 or MPC but is anyone gonna give a shit if your stuff sounds good?? If you have a lot of ideas you don't wanna be fucking around all day on a sampler when you could acheive the exact same results in half the time with a decent piece of software.

It can be a lot cheaper than splashing out on hardware aswell.

If you know what I'm saying...

#15 Dialog

Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:making music,crate diggin,traveling

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

just combine your harware and software and experiment untill you get the sound you wanna hear. I think using acid pro along side of your 303 is a great idea.

#16 LEVAR BURDEN

LEVAR BURDEN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:33 AM

Screw using a 303. Anyone on this message board's got to have a computer. Get yourself Cubase/Ableton Live/Protools/ Reason/ whatever and you will be sequencing perfect loops in no time.
Yeah you won't get kudos in hip hop circles for bigging up a PC over a 303 or MPC but is anyone gonna give a shit if your stuff sounds good?? If you have a lot of ideas you don't wanna be fucking around all day on a sampler when you could acheive the exact same results in half the time with a decent piece of software.

nah i disagree i got all kinds of programs for my pc and ive owned a 303 for about 3 years. i prefer the 303 over any of those programs.

#17 High Dreams

High Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

you can make a good beat with just a computer, but it will sound doper guaranted with some lo-fi analoggy hardware somewhere in the mix. 303s happen to be cheap and sound dope as shit. listen to 9th wonder's shit-- the samples are crazy but the drums just sound thin, even if he's using vinyl... someone on another thread also mentioned used electribes are a great value

#18 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:51 AM

yeah try pressing start/end/level aand then tweak the right knob. that should make you control the metronome volume

Thanks bro, this should help a lot, I think.

Last night I was fucking with the "tap tempo" button and it fucked up every beat/pattern I had on the damn thing. All my patterns are off now. Can you only have one tempo for all of your beats? It almost seemed like a glitch or malfunction.

Anyone else get this from their 303?

#19 High Dreams

High Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

you can only have one tempo at a time. it's in the manual

Thanks bro, this should help a lot, I think.

Last night I was fucking with the "tap tempo" button and it fucked up every beat/pattern I had on the damn thing. All my patterns are off now. Can you only have one tempo for all of your beats? It almost seemed like a glitch or malfunction.

#20 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

Who needs a metronome if you’ve got rhythm? :)

#21 zomg

zomg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

hasn't anybody heard of the 404 or the 606? damn !

I'd get either.

#22 zomg

zomg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

hell yeah (this might be long..)

If you got a decent computer system, and can even get somebody to give you a bootleg of either of those programs (yeah, I know... BUT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO IT, USE IT)...Get a fuggin' controller (whichever suits what you would like to do.. - drums? basslines? melodies? full compositions?). Then get a good soundcard and some near feild active monitors (you do not need high priced monitors if your room is not accoustically treated..)..and/or some good headphones

You're going to need the Monitors regardless, and a controller can be used with a SOUND MODULE in the future if you want to buy a high end soundbox like a ROLAND FANTOM XR or a Yamaha Motif es or something. You can also buy turntables that hook up to your soundcard and record in sony's Soundforge.

If you are having issues picking out a controller, the M-Audio Axiom (25,49,61) is good IMO. I just got it. It has drum pads like the m-audio trigger finger, except half of the amount of pads...and semi weighted full sized keys if you like playing chords. FLYING LOTUS uses an M-AUDIO TRIGGER FINGER (for all you bandwagoners :) ), Check out the drums on his tracks. I would purchase a separate drum pad in the future, perhaps an mpd16 or something...but for now this will do.

There are loads of free sounds on the net, some that sound really good too. Reason's factory sounds disapointed me but then I found some shit and I was happy. If anybody has Reason, try to LEARN IT'S CAPABILITIES!!!. It's like owning a powerful synth and just using the factory presets! You won't know what the sounds REALLY sound like unless you have a good soundcard and some monitors though...

If you're growing up in this 'technology era" (like I am), don't be hesitant to use it to your advantage if it's what's readily available to you. If you can make good music and make creative usage out of your resources (like the quotee said) then nobody will care what you used. However, it's always good to acknowledge what came before the technology as well. I know of some people who don't give a shit about the analog because their heads are too stuck in the clouds with this "industry standard" crap.

If you don't like working ON computers, but would like to edit ON computers...then buy a digital multi-track recorder that has usb connectivity and enables you to transfer tracks to and from the recorder. Recording on standalone recorders will cut down on the frusturation of computers and latency, drivers, etc. The roland vs series (which do NOT have usb connectivity in the earlier machines) apparently have good effects, but are a pain to work through unless you get the later, more expensive machines. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON MULTI TRACK RECORDERS, IT WILL PAY OFF.

FYI: I HATE COMPUTERS. But i'm gonna use what I have for now. I'd rather work with hardware because computers have nasty fan noise and stuff. Lots of different aspects that make me dislike computers...

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I'm sure somebody out there will find this helpful...as budding musicians are always looking for suggestions. I could probably go on about stuff but I think i'll stop :lol:

By the way, I am not a "pro" in any way. I just read alot because i'm obsessed with music.

#23 LoopSkywalker

LoopSkywalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:bars on mars.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:43 AM

fuck cubase and all that abelton bs. the more shit u got goin, the more wrong things can go. all u need is cool edit and the 303, learn how to work the sounds, listen listen listen, tweek shit. the room doesn't have to shake for the beat to be coo.

#24 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:37 AM

fuck cubase and all that abelton bs. the more shit u got goin, the more wrong things can go. all u need is cool edit and the 303, learn how to work the sounds, listen listen listen, tweek shit. the room doesn't have to shake for the beat to be coo.

damn right! this is what i use. the 303 and cool edit. it works fine. i only need an better program to master my beats in. eq and compressors and that type of things.

#25 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:52 AM

Well, I'm starting to think that using acid pro along with the 303, is the way to go for me. I've been making a loop with soundforge, opening it up in acid and then recording some drum patterns into the track live through acid pro. Then I take the drums I'm really feeling and looping then through out the track.

Works pretty good for now. It's much better than messing with that damn metronome ish' on the 303.

#26 duomaxwell

duomaxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

Yeah man...I thought this was a glitch too, until I read the book. I really think this hurts the 303. I just make all my beats the same BPM. Did you get extended memory? Peace.

#27 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

Yeah man...I thought this was a glitch too, until I read the book. I really think this hurts the 303. I just make all my beats the same BPM. Did you get extended memory? Peace.

Yeah, I got a memory card in the deal. I don't even use the memory banks that are for the actual SP memory...they don't hold for shit! I stick to the memory card banks C and D. It's a challenge. For the time being, I have completely abamdoned the Sequencer and I stick to making "patterns"/beats with SoundForge and Acid pro along with the SP-303. I think it works pretty well for me, for now.

Late'

#28 duomaxwell

duomaxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:03 AM

^^^^Yeah man, the internal memory is straight up trash. WAAAAY to small. I ended up going back the next day to get a memory card. I only put small samples in the A and B banks, like hi-hats.

Thanks for the tip on using Acid Pro with the 303. I just might try that. Im actually getting use to creating patterns. But I still have alot more practicing to do. Peace.

#29 ntw1212

ntw1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

so what's the consensus on the sp 303/404? i am looking to invest around 400-500 on a drum machine and my gut instinct isn't feeling too good on the sp-404. the only thing that attracts me is the price, any other suggestions for the under $500 price range? an mpc would obviously be ideal, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. anyone got opinions on those akai or korg drum pads? not the machines, but the pads you can hit drums with on your computer...anyone?

FUck the 303 and the 404!!!! you got $500??? Get the korg electribe esx-1 (or es-1 mk2)---- the sequencer on that is much more dedicated than the sp303 or 404... its also got a bunch of effects.. not too mention the fact that it has a keyboard on it as well-- the keayboard doesnt work that well for doing piano leads or whatever but it is great for laying down basslines. The esx-1 is serious!!!! its got time chop for cutting up drum breaks... basaically i was at guitar center about to buy the 303.... sales guy was like "what r u gonna use it for??" "making beats" " dont buy that I'll sell you this for the same price" low and behold i went home with the es-1 mk2, which is currently discontinued. You can find both the es-1 mk2 and the esx-1 on ebay for less dinero than the stores....

#30 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

FUck the 303 and the 404!!!! you got $500??? Get the korg electribe esx-1 (or es-1 mk2)---- the sequencer on that is much more dedicated than the sp303 or 404... its also got a bunch of effects.. not too mention the fact that it has a keyboard on it as well-- the keayboard doesnt work that well for doing piano leads or whatever but it is great for laying down basslines. The esx-1 is serious!!!! its got time chop for cutting up drum breaks... basaically i was at guitar center about to buy the 303.... sales guy was like "what r u gonna use it for??" "making beats" " dont buy that I'll sell you this for the same price" low and behold i went home with the es-1 mk2, which is currently discontinued. You can find both the es-1 mk2 and the esx-1 on ebay for less dinero than the stores....

Bro, if I had $500 I wouldn't have bought the SP303. And if you were about to buy a 303 for $500, you were dangersouly close to getting the shaft....try $250 with a memory card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users