• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sausage party

sausage party

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

In the song by People Under the Stairs, "The Dig", at about 1:28 Thes one spits the line "I know places you dont, dig places you wont, yo fuck a loop digger in my city man just stay home..." and im wondering here if there was ever a beef between the two of them? because i only know madlib as THE loop digger. any thoughts?

and heres a link to the song to check it out.

Either way, its one of my favorites by them.

#2 GripFast

GripFast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

That is a great track but you are reading too much into it. Thes is using a generic term, not calling out the bad kid.

#3 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I agree with dude above. Although, I will say that I'd assume Thes would frown upon some of the blatant borrowing that Mablib has done from countless battle, dirty style, break records....Thes is one of them cats that seems anal about making beats in a very specific way...og wax, all samples, no keyboards, etc. It's an honorable way to make beats but whenever people start acting holier than thou about it...they need to chill and just do them.

#4 Liv

Liv

the mean mugging scapegoat

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

the blatant borrowing that Mablib has done from countless battle, dirty style, break records....

could you be more specific ?

#5 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

there are tons of places where madlib has fairly blatently reused parts of songs that have been flipped before......

althought there is a kankick song (can't remember off of what) where he does call out thes one and double k in one line and says that he is double k, and we all know madlib and kankick are homies.........

#6 SanCarlos

SanCarlos

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

there are tons of places where madlib has fairly blatently reused parts of songs that have been flipped before......

althought there is a kankick song (can't remember off of what) where he does call out thes one and double k in one line and says that he is double k, and we all know madlib and kankick are homies.........

i made a thread a couple months a go bout that bur noone replied its off seeing spirits and is one of the last tracks on it.

i know on traditional heritage kancick used a people under the stairs cut, but that was years ago.

plus i think all the new shit puts is putting out is really boring and bland but i love their older stuff, havent heard fundmc but i did buy step father and returned it under a week.

ha

#7 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

word i just copped that kankick joint a couple weeks ago and heard that line, kinda through me off, don't know why he would be talkin shit on them at all, but i totally feel the same about PUTS, i read nothing but bad things about step father and never bothered to cop it, was thinkin about it again recently cause i was bumpin them for a few days straight, but was just deterred yet again, i did hear good things about fundmc though....maybe i'll check that out soon

#8 sausage party

sausage party

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

whattttt?

also, fun dmc is unlistenable at first. i took a few and i dont think the album is killer, but i definately have a few tracks that stick out, though they dont compare to their old shit. too classic to stand up to.

#9 sausage party

sausage party

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

word i just copped that kankick joint a couple weeks ago and heard that line, kinda through me off, don't know why he would be talkin shit on them at all, but i totally feel the same about PUTS, i read nothing but bad things about step father and never bothered to cop it, was thinkin about it again recently cause i was bumpin them for a few days straight, but was just deterred yet again, i did hear good things about fundmc though....maybe i'll check that out soon

fun dmc is much worse than stepfather to me, jamboree parts 1 and 2 are reminiscient of suite for beaver(s), on and on is too dope, and there are at least two others on there that are solid. fun dmc has some really bad lyrics, even for people, the beats arent even as catchy, theyre trying to reinvent the wheel

#10 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

damn, fuck em both then, onward and upward

#11 Klay Doe

Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

damn, fuck em both then, onward and upward

Posted Image

#12 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:57 AM

could you be more specific ?

Actually, I tihnk I said "plenty" but when I really think about it the only ones that come to mind are the "cold get dumb" line from that Madvillain Track...it's a very common line from one of the Dirt Style breaks and the "yoga"'s and shit are also off one of the D Style joints.

Shit...that really is all I can think of but I want to say I've heard some really common breaks get used in some of his tracks. Fuck, guess I can't back up what I'm sayin' here...but like I said I really don't care where people get their material from as long as they flip it right, which is probably why I can't remember any of the examples.

#13 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:20 AM

I really don't care where people get their material from as long as they flip it right

I mean what the fuck was that thes one dickhead blabbing about ? how many breaks in hip hop have been used over and over ? like if he's the 1st one to use a break that makes him proprietary of the thing or some shit. since I watched how he fooled the public in that battle with will I am (dj dusk's soundclash dvd) and reading about his extremist views on software usage in hip hop production and the mandatory use of only og vinyls and such and such I really dislike the guy.

#14 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,503 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:04 AM

this topic has been popping up on here for over 4 years

there is no thes one/madlib beef it wasnt a pop at him

end thread

#15 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

I mean what the fuck was that thes one dickhead blabbing about ? how many breaks in hip hop have been used over and over ? like if he's the 1st one to use a break that makes him proprietary of the thing or some shit. since I watched how he fooled the public in that battle with will I am (dj dusk's soundclash dvd) and reading about his extremist views on software usage in hip hop production and the mandatory use of only og vinyls and such and such I really dislike the guy.

I do like his beats but yeah, it's always annoying to hear people tell you the "right" way to make music.

What did you mean by fooled the public in the soundclash battle? I watched that way back...that was a good vs right there..take a holier than thou sample producer and pit him against Will.I.Am.

#16 sausage party

sausage party

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

Actually, I tihnk I said "plenty" but when I really think about it the only ones that come to mind are the "cold get dumb" line from that Madvillain Track...it's a very common line from one of the Dirt Style breaks and the "yoga"'s and shit are also off one of the D Style joints.

Shit...that really is all I can think of but I want to say I've heard some really common breaks get used in some of his tracks. Fuck, guess I can't back up what I'm sayin' here...but like I said I really don't care where people get their material from as long as they flip it right, which is probably why I can't remember any of the examples.

legendary lyricist part two by percee p. thats one fer sher

#17 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:49 AM

I do like his beats but yeah, it's always annoying to hear people tell you the "right" way to make music.

What did you mean by fooled the public in the soundclash battle? I watched that way back...that was a good vs right there..take a holier than thou sample producer and pit him against Will.I.Am.

well will I am should have won that battle. his set was actually live (with keyboards and stuff) while thes one was playing preprogrammed samples off his mpc with little to no progressions. mostly loops

#18 Theodore

Theodore

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Video Games, Pizza

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

well will I am should have won that battle. his set was actually live (with keyboards and stuff) while thes one was playing preprogrammed samples off his mpc with little to no progressions. mostly loops

That battle was awkward for me to watch. Looked like Thes felt uncomfortable, or like he was taking it too seriously.
I enjoyed it, though. :P

#19 anotherbagofbomb

anotherbagofbomb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

I love P.U.T.S but there not very impressive as artists. Just catchy samples looped up with quant. drums. It's just fun hip-hop to chill out to..... not great or amazing, just good.

#20 anotherbagofbomb

anotherbagofbomb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

oh yeah just peep that Dj Dusk video 'cause my friend had it. i'de say will.i.am beat Thes by far.... that shit was on a whole different level

#21 Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*

Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

does madlib even have any beef with anyone?

#22 Klay Doe

Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

Will.I.am really clowned on Thes. I don't think Thes was ready. :mellow:

#23 Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*

Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

:mellow:

#24 P.R.C.

P.R.C.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

thes seems like kind of a tool...

#25 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

thes seems like kind of a tool...

He's on another forum I peruse and he's a real nice guy.

#26 sausage party

sausage party

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

Will.I.am really clowned on Thes. I don't think Thes was ready. :lol:

thats fuckin upsetting. haha :lol:

#27 sausage party

sausage party

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

yeah man what makes you think thes is a tool?

#28 ethrik

ethrik

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

I love P.U.T.S but there not very impressive as artists. Just catchy samples looped up with quant. drums. It's just fun hip-hop to chill out to..... not great or amazing, just good.

whole different level as in cocky mainstream radio bullshit, get the fuck outta here

#29 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

yep

#30 P.R.C.

P.R.C.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

ok, ill take your word for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users