11 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:25 AM

I used to be a big fan of the beatnuts back in the day, along with Cypress Hill they kind of pioneered that whole Latin Stoner Rap sound. But like Cypress Hill, it seems they have just faded away over the years. They released "The Originators" in 2002 which was a pure, early 90's style banger. A classic line from Juju on that album was:

"The word is I got no deal and I blew it, the label said soften it up I said screw it, hardcore what niggas is killed in the yard for, what children of the ghetto is prayin to god for"

But then they followed it up with their last release "Milk Me" in 2004, a more club-scene oriented album that was geared more towards booty shakin and liquor pourin than the stoner crate diggers that grew to love them.

So, I guess my question to all of you is, will there be any hope for these guys in the future?

#2 Klay Doe

Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:27 AM

Will there be any hope for these guys in the future?

No.... :unsure:

#3 names

names

Rookie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

I saw them when they were touring for milk me with J5 and it was kind of sad cause they seemed lackluster and burned out then, I can only assume its gotten worse unless they were just having an off night

#4 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

they were falling off when they dropped 'musical massacre' what was the one after that? 'take it or squeeze it'? i dunno i have it somewere but prob aint listend to it since the day i bought it

i think they(along with a whole bunch of rappers/producers that were good in the 90's) should retire or come up with some new shit . . .

#5 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

yah man, all those cats who were good in the 90's but are shit now seem to be stuck on some kinda musical fence.

They cant seem to decide for themselves anymore whats good and bad. Its like they want to like the new shit but they know it sucks, yet they still try and make it?!

whats up with that?

#6 lax murda

lax murda

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

I heard that Babu is producing a track with the on it for his Duck Season 3

#7 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

So, I guess my question to all of you is, will there be any hope for these guys in the future?

Great question, man. I can't really call it. I actually saw them on this Non-Phixion DVD and they looked pretty worn out (someone else in this thread mentioned that they looked worn, too).

They were fucked up and just looked done, you know? So, I would say the answer to your question is completely up to them. They could continue to be drunk slobs and probably go broke (or get broke'er) or they could shake it off, tighten up and put some more classic shit together.

Here's the thing though, the last footage I saw ofthem was with them chillin' with Non-Phixion and those dude's party, so that might not have been the best depiction of them in their normal life. I mean, if I was chillin' with Non-Phixion, I'd probably be tripping face with a black eye and a jam jar of Jack Daniel's or some shit, which really ain't my typical mode, if you will.

They have gone through a lot too, man. I mean, they used to have 3 members (who was the third member that left?), plus the whole scene got really jiggy and they kinda came into the mainstream on the tail end of the 90's good hip-hop dynasty and there was no place for Beatnuts in today's crazy glam'rap scene.

PS-Yo, Projexion weren't you asking about art books worth checking out in a previous thread? Well, that blue note artwork book that I suggested has a ton of old jazz LP covers that Beatnuts bit off of HARD for their albums, check that shit out, it's interesting.

#8 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:56 AM

PS-Yo, Projexion weren't you asking about art books worth checking out in a previous thread? Well, that blue note artwork book that I suggested has a ton of old jazz LP covers that Beatnuts bit off of HARD for their albums, check that shit out, it's interesting.

more of a tribute than a bite,not the only ones to have used blue note artwork think atmosphere did to,the books called blue note cover art,really nice stuff in there

#9 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:21 AM

more of a tribute than a bite,not the only ones to have used blue note artwork think atmosphere did to,the books called blue note cover art,really nice stuff in there

You know, I'm pretty torn between the whole tribute/bite thing....why didn't they shout out Lyons, or Blue Note or anyone remotely involved with the work if it was a tribute....I mean, for the vast majority of heads who bought the album, it was unknown that the artwork was NOT origional.

But, at the same time, it's pretty obvious to those that know....

I don't know.

#10 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

dunno maybe blue note might have wanted money? seeing that the beatnuts are pretty heavy collectors id say its safe to say its a tribute not a bite

#11 defter

defter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:22 PM

dunno maybe blue note might have wanted money? seeing that the beatnuts are pretty heavy collectors id say its safe to say its a tribute not a bite

rather agree with this... def. more of a tribute, for diggin' cats..

and the talk in this thread is depressing, I haven't bought shit since Musical Massacre, but having heard shit, I feel what cats are saying... there's always hope, as far as the tighten up bit.

the member who left was (Kool-ass) Fashion, also known as Al Tariq (aka Lord Tariq)

#12 High Dreams

High Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

hank mobley - the turnaround! (1965)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users