Photo

Why is Stones Throw the Only Good Underground Label??

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 snub

snub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

RA the Rugged Man - no

The problem with most these people is they seem to whine too much. Trying to preach to me, fuck that.

I honestly think that RA is the illest nowadays.

I saw sooooo many people standing their with their mouths open thinking "WTF?!?" after they heard his verse on the new Jedi Mind Tricks album. I mean he just dropped the illest verse I've heard in years and nobody was expecting it...

#32 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

I take that back. I love Ra. I got him mixed up with shabam sadeeq or what ever that cats name is.

ps. this thread is dead

Anybody get into the Bootcamp clic album? That was pretty nice.

#33 lesegog

lesegog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:18 AM

the answer for me is quasimoto and the stonesthrow history(peanut butter and charizma). everytime i read it the more passionate i become. peanut butter wolf for global pres.

#34 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:08 AM

Anybody get into the Bootcamp clic album? That was pretty nice.

See, there you go, Duck Down Records been holdin it down for us. My personal favorite was that new Black Moon album Total Eclipse and that new BCC was fire as well.

#35 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:10 AM

I haven't been much of a fan in a while (nor do I consider them close to Stones Throw), but Babygrande holds some pretty serious weight if you ask me. Their roster has some undeniable names:

Hi-Tek
GZA
Jedi Mind Tricks
7L & Esoteric
Apathy
Canibus
Immortal Technique
Lord Jamar
Agallah

Come to think of it, I don't know why more people don't mention them

#36 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

I haven't been much of a fan in a while (nor do I consider them close to Stones Throw), but Babygrande holds some pretty serious weight if you ask me.

yeah the past year they had some good albums out.

but stones throw is probably my fav cause they are the most creative. quasimoto, james pants, gary wilson, aloe blacc, now again releases etc.

all their artists are mad creative and thats what keeps me coming back.

#37 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

See, there you go, Duck Down Records been holdin it down for us. My personal favorite was that new Black Moon album Total Eclipse and that new BCC was fire as well.

Yep. This has been in rotation since it came out. Bangin'

#38 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

Well, it is kinda balls because his income is coming from his label, so for El-p to put out music that he believes in but isn't going to make money, I think that takes balls. Willing to lose money to put out what he believes in.

That Just Goes Back to The Whole Opinion Thing. Point Is, It Isn't a Smart Business Move to Put Out Music You Already Have a Feeling Won't Sell. It Could Be Great Music You Know But IF No One Will Buy It Putting It Out on a Record Label Is a Bad Idea From Any Angle. Doesn't Take Balls Just a Lack of Common Sense

PBW is doing the same thing, when people think stones throw, they think madvillain, quasimoto, and now Dilla. This Georgia Ann and Aloe Blac, not exactly the same formula as the previous, but Stones Throw puts out artists that they believe in. I can't point out numbers, but i'm sure Georgia and Aloe didn't sell records like Quas and Madvillain.

Well That May Be Half Their Problem You Know. Marketing. I Dig Some Aloe Blacc and Georgia Anne But A Lot of People Got Hooked On stones Throw For the Rap Tip You Know. I Bet If He Marketed Towards an Older Demographic More of the Aloe Blacc and The Other More Obscure Artists On Stonesthrow Would Be Better Recieved.

Either way, both labels have a very large fanbase, and are putting out music that is pleasing that fanbase. These are really two tough labels to compare.

I Wouldn't Say Large Fanbase But Definitely More Loyal.

#39 zomg

zomg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

I can't point out numbers, but i'm sure Georgia and Aloe didn't sell records like Quas and Madvillain.

Theres lots of other albums on Stones Throw besides GAM and AB that didn't sell like Quas, or Madvillian.

What's Your Point?

#40 ramses sjappie

ramses sjappie

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:42 AM

Rhymesayers has some good releases too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users