44 replies to this topic

#1 josh

josh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

so what do you guys think about them?

i thought that the listening was a real good album but the minstrel show was kinda...off. seems like alot of ppl either hate them or love them.

#2 Operatore

Operatore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

They help me go to sleep at night.

#3 Jamal From Ghostwriter

Jamal From Ghostwriter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

Like their first 2 albums but I read somewhere that 9th isnt producing the new joint ;)

#4 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

Like their first 2 albums but I read somewhere that 9th isnt producing the new joint ;)

Yeah, I heard about that too. That's interesting. I wonder why they did that. If the next album has a buch of mainstream bullshit produces pissing all over it, I will be sad.

Sometimes people get soo sick of hovering on the outside of success that they do some irrational shit to try to get on "the inside". You can tell they wanna blow up sooo bad, it's in all the lyrics of the Minstrel Show.

But, maybe they just thought "fuck it", 9th has made a name for himself, he is a respected producer with tons of work and side projects, let's do what we gotta do to earn the same degree of respect on the mic.

???

#5 josh

josh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:30 AM

thatd be lame if they did that, but i d agree that i think theyr eally want to blow up.

have you guys heard median? hes on the justus league too and he has sucha sick flow. aint nothin but an ep from him tho.

#6 .SL.

.SL.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Skating, Females, L's, Making Beats and Chilling.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

have you guys heard median? hes on the justus league too and he has sucha sick flow. aint nothin but an ep from him tho.

That boy Median is DANK!
That song "Comfortable" is too sick.
If you havn't, scope that one out FOR SURE.

#7 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:REAL hip-hop, psychology, and starting my own label

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

I like Little Brother. They're cool. They just don't 'wow' me enough to put them on my list of 'favorites'.

They performed at my school last year. Like right outside of our student union. I was leaving my radio show and I hear "Wave ya hands in the air!" then I hear 'Lovin' It' start to play.

I was like 'Oh, that's Little Brother. Didn't know they were coming... Damn! I could've gotten an interview!" Then I just walked through the concert, up the stairs where they were performing, got a few pics on the phone, and just like that the concert was over.

#8 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

i think there stuff is snoozy and i really dont like 9th wonder but i do like the albums he did with murs

#9 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:49 AM

Does he use Fruity Loops? I heard he used Fruity Loops. Not that there is anything wrong with that... :blink:

#10 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:08 PM

I respect the justus league and 9th's soulful production. The shit he's done with Buckshot and Murs was classic, plus the long list of other tracks including Jay-Z, Boot Camp, De La, Strange Fruit Project, etc. 9th and Krhysis kind of have their own sound, basically either you feel it or you don't. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you why I loved Minstrel Show, that I thought Big Pooh's solo was a solid album, or that Foreign Exchange was a breath of fresh air.

What I will say is that if they do break out into commercial territory on their next effort, it will not garner the respect they are looking for and ultimately they will be forced to return to their roots. The same thing happened with De La Soul between that Bionix shit and The Grind Date.

#11 NineSSix

NineSSix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Little Brother is cool, & so is 9th wonder.

#12 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

Does he use Fruity Loops? I heard he used Fruity Loops. Not that there is anything wrong with that... :blink:

yeah he does,you'd think he may upgrade but i guess if it aint broke . .

#13 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

To answer all the rumors that been shooting through your group
*Beat stops* Yes 9th really does make these beats on Fruity Loops

#14 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

Phonte: Well, of course we got 9th doing tracks (as of today there is only one 9th beat). But this will be the album where we’re going to reach out to more producers than usual because we’re going for expanding the palate. You know what I’m saying. This time we reached out to Just Blaze so [We’re] probably going to do something with him. Primo surprisingly reached out to us. That was crazy! Um…Right now we’re looking at Denaun Porter from D12 doing some shit. Um…Nottz from Virginia. Still keeping it Hip-Hop and still doing us. You ain’t gonna hear us rapping over Snap Music or whatever…(Laughs) We’re still doing us but just expanding and adding a little more color to the palate this time around.

I saw Little Brother live last summer. It was a hell of a show.

#15 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hmm, Fruity Loops... Now I can sleep at night. :lol: You're right, if it ain't broke...

Yeah, I love that Chemistry shit. I listened to that on my iPod like 3 months straight.

#16 definitivedoodle

definitivedoodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:34 AM

if you just listen to their albums you may not like them.

but the put on one hell of a show.

sad that 9th going to be on the next one...

#17 TroN

TroN

STMB's Digital Dirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop, DRums, Art, Xbox 360

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:35 AM

PhonTe is easily one of the nicest emcee's in hip hop right now,

Little brothers new cd "get back" drops early next year, has production from 9th, krysis and just blaze and more!

yep, there my favorite band and have been since the listening, always dropping classic shit

#18 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:05 AM

about the median...

its odd that he has only done the ep, it a shame really he is one of the dopest emcees out now, dudley perkins expressions(all of those tracks) and comfortable by median were the tracks i listened the most last summer

#19 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

What happened?

De La's AOI: Bionix was an attempt to appeal more to the mainstream audiences, they lost a lot of respect on that one which is why it is their least remembered album. But then they got their shit together on The Grind Date with some new production from Dilla, Madlib and 9th Wonder.

#20 casella

casella

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

De La's AOI: Bionix was an attempt to appeal more to the mainstream audiences, they lost a lot of respect on that one which is why it is their least remembered album. But then they got their shit together on The Grind Date with some new production from Dilla, Madlib and 9th Wonder.

get the fuck outta here. that grind date album was the worst and they never lost respect from no one.

#21 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

get the fuck outta here. that grind date album was the worst and they never lost respect from no one.

I don't remember anyone speaking ill of De La after Bionix either. So I don't think they lost respect. Bionix was ok; they will always be my favorite group no matter what.

Now, The Grind Date being the worst? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I thought it was nice.

Alright, back to Little Brother... Man, how would they sound without 9th? Who will they get to produce some tracks for them? Jazzy Jeff? Pete Rock? Nicolay? (was feelin that Yo Yo remix)

#22 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

I don't remember anyone speaking ill of De La after Bionix either. So I don't think they lost respect.

Regardless, I think Bionix was a very "Pop" sounding album compared to some of their previous work. The Grind Date was a return to the more "Underground" sounding De La that we all love.

But I think the producers they got lined up for the next Little Brother are sure to do them justice. Premier, Nottz, Just Blaze plus the usuals: 9th, Khrysis, Nicolay, guaranteed not to disappoint.

#23 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

I don't remember anyone speaking ill of De La after Bionix either. So I don't think they lost respect. Bionix was ok; they will always be my favorite group no matter what.

Now, The Grind Date being the worst? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I thought it was nice.

Alright, back to Little Brother... Man, how would they sound without 9th? Who will they get to produce some tracks for them? Jazzy Jeff? Pete Rock? Nicolay? (was feelin that Yo Yo remix)

check the quote that I have on the first page, its Phonte listing who will be on production.
I liked Bionix.

#24 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

listening - classic -- everythying else is respectable...

saw them w/only 25 in the crowd. that was their best show... second time they played they were more polished... 200 in the crowd.

#25 Gforce

Gforce

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

lol over at the lawn theres pages of threads about 9ths limited involvment in the get back.But I willl say I only liked 3-4 songs of the listening(yo yo,shorty on the lookout,morning) but on the other albums I felt a MUCH larger majority of the tracks tho.

#26 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

whats the lawn? Soulstrut? Okayplayer? ughh?

I think Ineed a late pass.

#27 Gforce

Gforce

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

whats the lawn? Soulstrut? Okayplayer? ughh?

I think Ineed a late pass.

The Lawn
I started chilling there when the old board passed on. You should check out "the back yard",theres a "funeral" thread on a member so aggravating it spawned 10pages of hate..hell phonte even dropped in on the thread, lol hilarious stuff.

#28 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

cool. maybe I'll lurk :o

#29 Phineas Q. Butterfat

Phineas Q. Butterfat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:12 AM

Little Brother is the truth! Dope beats, dope lyrics and a hell of a live show...not much more you could ask for. They are definately grown folks hip hop alot of youngins aren't into 'em but I attribute that to LB's being over their head.

#30 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:59 AM

Little Brother is the truth! Dope beats, dope lyrics and a hell of a live show...not much more you could ask for. They are definately grown folks hip hop alot of youngins aren't into 'em but I attribute that to LB's being over their head.

Cosign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users