Brazilian Music

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 professorsam

professorsam

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Listening to music, writing, watching old bollywood movies and drinking ice t

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi everybody I'm new to the Stones Throw Message Board and pretty new to record collecting and I'm really getting into Brazilian music, like Antonio Carlos Jobim and Os Mutantes, so I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for good Brazilian music that they'd like to share?

#2 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

hopefully this thread will get more action han that folk-soul thread...

mutantes to jobim, that's a pretty wide spread!!!

obvioulsy there's loads of stuff, all the pics i tried to steal off other internet sites wouldnt load for some reason..... but there's some great threads on this here and here<<<

#3 Friies

Friies

STMB Mayonnaise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:music and other stuff

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

man i suggest you take a look at this fabulous blog right here
Loronix blog
loads of brazilian records to download, anywhere from 50's to 90's,
known artists, lesser knowns
if theres some you feel then go hunt it

i personnally like joao donato, radames gnatttali, gilberto gil, toquinho/vinicius, jobim of course, astrud and joao gilberto, baden powell, sivuca, etc etc theres too many
thats what i think of right now, good luck

#4 professorsam

professorsam

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Listening to music, writing, watching old bollywood movies and drinking ice t

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

Damn! Thanks so much man for that Loronix link, some of that stuff looks really really good :lol:

#5 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

br nuggets is my favourite Brazilian blog - - -laods of really obscure and amazing albums. looks a bit intimdating to start with but just get stuck in!! lots of beautiful rural psych and such.... you could start with the Oz Brazoes album, that ones pretty amazing!!!

#6 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

gilberto gil

i took a trip down to the city a few weeks ago to stay with my buddy, and record shop i went too had a Brazilian record section which my normal record store doesn't have at all, so i had to cop somethin, and i got a gilberto gil record, shit is reaaal nice, i gotta start finding more spots for Brazilian diggin around me

#7 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

i took a trip down to the city a few weeks ago to stay with my buddy, and record shop i went too had a Brazilian record section which my normal record store doesn't have at all, so i had to cop somethin, and i got a gilberto gil record, shit is reaaal nice, i gotta start finding more spots for Brazilian diggin around me

which gilberto gil album was it? -- i have this one, which is pretty ace:

Posted Image

#8 Friies

Friies

STMB Mayonnaise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:music and other stuff

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

all good

are you people more in psych-roch alternative shit? or more "classical" music if i can use that term (samba bossanova etc?)

#9 professorsam

professorsam

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Both Mr. Frries <_<
It's all good

#10 Sun-Rob

Sun-Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

#11 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

your image doesnt show up pencil

fixed ;)

#12 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

which gilberto gil album was it? -- i have this one, which is pretty ace:

Posted Image

the one i have is exactly like the one below, except its the first one, and doesn't have that annoying 2, otherwise the cover is pretty similar, it came out in 87, but is i guess somethin of a compilation of some his stuff from 67-73, its all pretty laid back, i guess the title and look of the cover kinda speak for what kinda songs are on it, but its real tight

Posted Image

i kinda had a hard time finding the album (not really, i just didn't wanna run upstairs and look for the title and year) so i was in wikipedia looking for somethin i recognized under his discog, when i saw this nice little bit of knowledge from towards the bottom of the page

Gil has been open about the fact that that he has smoked marijuana for much of his life. He has said he believes "that drugs should be treated like pharmaceuticals, legalized, although under the same regulations and monitoring as medicines".

#13 sonofra

sonofra

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

hermeto pascoal...azymuth....joyce.............for some decent new stuff seu jorge is good.

#14 Mazz

Mazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

Arthur Verocai is a good name to look for re: arrangements. And his solo album - a topic which has come up on here a number of times before - is one of my all-time favourite albums. Luv 'n' Haight re-issued it. Its also in the Loronix archives if you search...

#15 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

From my friend that I dj with
"Slept on Wax I'm awake to...

Edu Lobo's Missa Breve lp (eclectic record collector bizniss)
Jorge Ben's Forca Bruta, A Tabua de Esmerelda, and s/t lp (listed in order of dopenuss)
Caetano Veloso's first three lps (personally haven't heard anything after Transa but his first three, I assure you, are worthwhile)
Lo Borges' debut s/t lp (perhaps the best lp on this list: Brasilian equivalent to Shuggie Otis' Inspiration Information)
Miguel de Deus (long sought after funk bomb deservedly famous to white record dorks for the aptly titled Black Soul Brothers)
Ivan Lins s/t debut lp produced by Arthur Verocia (I second the motion that anything produced by Verocai is probably dope)
Quenteto Ternura (produced by Verocai: nice but more-so on the side of pop than psych or grooves)
Unio Black records old or new (glamorous brasilian funk)

additiional note: I just won Froca Bruta on ebay today motherfuckers. TESTIFY

additional quote: "I don't need no hook fo this shit""

#16 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Yo, I'm lovin' this mix right here:

http://www.divshare....oad/6019030-eae

In my opinion, it's better then Madlib's Speto De Rua mix.

#17 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

joao donato

#18 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:48 AM

Yo, I'm lovin' this mix right here:

http://www.divshare....oad/6019030-eae

In my opinion, it's better then Madlib's Speto De Rua mix.

what is this mix?

#19 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

what is this mix?

It's a Brazil mix that someone posted on a forum. Really good.

#20 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yo, I got one for you all. Madlib did a mix @ BBC Giles Peterson Worldwide a few years back. If anyone is familiar with this mix, I need to know what the artist/song is that starts at exactly 13 mins 23 seconds into the mix. That shit is beautiful. I pulled the mix of of my PC crates and threw it on my iPod and forgot how dope that mix is. I'd be willing to share the mix wit anyone if interested. Just PM me.

The same joint can also be heard on the Dudley Perkins "Expressions" LP at the end of Track 4... "Get On Up".

BTW, It's a Brazil joint.

P.S. A complete track list of that BBC mix would be kosher if anyone got it..... doubt it though.

I'm going to post this on the ST joint as well.

#21 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

i've got 3 different Madlib - gilles peterson mixes on my i-tunes....
and if its the same one i'm listening to its one and the same track as on the perkins album -- if i rememebr correctly its a elis regina loop.

#22 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

It's a Brazil mix that someone posted on a forum. Really good.

yeah but who and where!???? - i dont want to d'l somethign ive already got!! innit.

#23 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

yeah but who and where!???? - i dont want to d'l somethign ive already got!! innit.

I'll PM you the track list. You got any other Brazil mixes? I dont have that many. I love that shit!

#24 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

there's some great DJ Ferrari brazilian mixes on the waxingdeep 'radio' section..

i would hearilty recommend purchasing Andy Votel's "Brazilika" mix - --its about the best one i've heard.

#25 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

there's some great DJ Ferrari brazilian mixes on the waxingdeep 'radio' section..

i would hearilty recommend purchasing Andy Votel's "Brazilika" mix - --its about the best one i've heard.

Oh shit, I just realized your the dude that I exchanged beat cd's with a year or so ago. What up homie?

#26 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Oh shit, I just realized your the dude that I exchanged beat cd's with a year or so ago. What up homie?

really? ha- - it a long time since i've done any of that. sold my sampler a while back for record money. how's tricks?

hope you can get into some of these mixes - -there's sp much amazing Brazilian music out there. another brazilian mix i listen to regularly is here<<< (its called "Brasileiros Subterânneos Mix (11/16/06)" )

#27 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

really? ha- - it a long time since i've done any of that. sold my sampler a while back for record money. how's tricks?

hope you can get into some of these mixes - -there's sp much amazing Brazilian music out there. another brazilian mix i listen to regularly is here<<< (its called "Brasileiros Subterânneos Mix (11/16/06)" )

I just purchased that mix by Votel. I'll check it out tomorrow. Hope it's dope. I also downloaded that Brasileiros Subterânneos Mix. Lookin forward. Peace...

#28 professorsam

professorsam

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Where can you download those Madlib mixes, pencilface?

#29 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:11 AM

Where can you download those Madlib mixes, pencilface?

i d/led the myears ago when he was on the giles peterson show - -i think someone uploaded them after it was aired - - - no idea where you'd get them now! :)

#30 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

i've got 3 different Madlib - gilles peterson mixes on my i-tunes....
and if its the same one i'm listening to its one and the same track as on the perkins album -- if i rememebr correctly its a elis regina loop.

I've got only 2. The one thats a single track about 32 mins long and the one with 55 tracks that J Rocc hosted. What is the other one? Link?
BTW, on the one that J Rocc hosted, does anyone know what the artist/song isfor track 18 is? It's a Brazil Track. Dope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users