85 replies to this topic

#1 Afro Harping

Afro Harping

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

I think It's dope, and def. better than "Kingdom Come." A nice return to form after the bloated mess of "Street's Desciple." "Can't Forget About You" is Nuts.

I'll be buying it on the 19th.

#2 Dick Starbuck

Dick Starbuck

"High as Giraffe Pussy"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

Another boring lecture album from Nas. Man he has an ear for picking out the shittiest beats to rhyme over. He needs to learn that in the modern age of rap (that he claims is dead) that a beat actually matters in order to get people to even want to listen to you rap.

#3 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

Another boring lecture album from Nas. Man he has an ear for picking out the shittiest beats to rhyme over. He needs to learn that in the modern age of rap (that he claims is dead) that a beat actually matters in order to get people to even want to listen to you rap.

I agree man, Nas has been repping off of ilmatic, well since 94!
Dude always reps like he's the saviour please God, you're Gods Son a much as me or anyone else.

And yah that hiphop is dead beat sucks, anyways, didnt Lenny Kravitz already do that "rock and Roll is Dead" Thing anyway?

#4 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

STMB Hooligan/Ne'er-do-well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

I like the new album, and I like Nas...so there...

neener neener

#5 Afro Harping

Afro Harping

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

Hmm, I dig the beats, but even If I didn't I still enjoy just hearing nas tell stories.

Just personal preferences I guess

#6 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

I'm with you afro, flash on these haters.

#7 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

oooooo, im scared,
no really though I think he thinks a littel highly of himslf.
Im not saying hes bad just dont think he's a great as he makes himself out to be.
And that beat for Hiphop is dead is wack.

#8 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Music + Culture

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:13 PM

I whole heartedly disagree with Starbuck and whatever his name is. Whats the modern era of rap talk? I've never needed a beat enjoy hip hop, beat emphasis is whats fucking the game up. I'm a lyrical cat, a beat aint shit to me. Nas drops science. His shit is well researched and music that you can listen to with dignity. This hip hop music was built on reps and a lotta bragadoious shit that you must have missed. Thats what this is about. Should he be on there complementing other rappers or something? I respect him, his music and his entire movement. But I guess, "It aint hard to tell!"

#9 Afro Harping

Afro Harping

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

beat emphasis is whats fucking the game up

Truth.

Lyrics are taking a backseat to beats these days and it's a shame. Nowadays anybody can blow if they've got a big flashy beat to rhyme over *cough* Game *cough*. Mic skills don't even matter anymore to alot of people. That's actually exactly what "Hip-Hop is dead" is about. I love what Nas is saying on "Carry On Tradition," A lot of people could learn from that track.

#10 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:49 PM

Nas is one of the all time greats. I only heard part of money over bullshit and I love it already. It's been a good year for rap.

#11 out of work jerk

out of work jerk

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:33 AM

so far, after a few listens, nothing notable stands out. i don't think i'll listen to it anymore until i buy it.

#12 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:37 AM

I whole heartedly disagree with Starbuck and whatever his name is. Whats the modern era of rap talk? I've never needed a beat enjoy hip hop, beat emphasis is whats fucking the game up. I'm a lyrical cat, a beat aint shit to me. Nas drops science. His shit is well researched and music that you can listen to with dignity. This hip hop music was built on reps and a lotta bragadoious shit that you must have missed. Thats what this is about. Should he be on there complementing other rappers or something? I respect him, his music and his entire movement. But I guess, "It aint hard to tell!"

I think you should listen soley to acapella.

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,508 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:42 AM

good beats are VERY important! yeah fair enough there is wack emcee's getting hits cos they have a hot beat,but seriously if all emcee's rhymed over wack beats i wouldnt listen to hip hop,full stop!

#14 Kuraden

Kuraden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:15 AM

Here's my thing. The album to me was a really good idea that was horribly executed. I say he should do it over with better beats, primo would've been perfect. That "Who Killed It" track? That would've been dope if the beat didn't sound like something Doom would do with 8 of his fingers chopped off blindfolded, not to mention Nas' detective impression.

And did he seriously re-edit his lyrics on Hip Hop Is Dead (the title track) to sugarcoat his own shit? (Went from "murder the DJ" to "wreck the DJ" and so on). That's just....

It'd probably be a good idea if he released an acapella version for people to work with

#15 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:19 AM

good beats are VERY important! yeah fair enough there is wack emcee's getting hits cos they have a hot beat,but seriously if all emcee's rhymed over wack beats i wouldnt listen to hip hop,full stop!

word. If the beats are wack I aint listening too long. The only reasonI would give it a chance is if the MC was ill, and again he cant be that ill if he's choosing wack beats.

You think I would be a gangstarr fann if Primo was wack?

#16 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:27 AM

[quote name='shakey finch' date='Dec 8 2006, 07:42 AM' post='10835']
[/quote

THEN YOU ARE NOT HIP HOP!!! You're a popular music listener. Not listening to hip hop is not an option for some of us. You're a beat lover. The sooner we weed out people like you, the better off hip hop will be.

And for Josh G, I listen to acapellas often. I'm a dj, poet, musician and a thinker. It's more than music for me pimp

#17 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,508 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:53 AM

so if i stop listening to hip hop emcee's wil stop releasing shitty albums with crap beats? damn i could be the saviour of rap!!

but seriously your reply was funny i dunno if you intended it to be but it was

for the record how old are you? B)

#18 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:21 AM

Yeah what the deal BillSteady? No need to be so offensive man. How are you gonna tell someone he isn't hip-hop because he likes beats? That's crazy. Pete Rock isn't hip-hop? RZA? Madlib? With hip-hop I was always under the impression you had a beat AND lyrics. When did that change?

As for Nas I'm still excited for it. I'm too hopeless a fan to listen to a leaked version - I need to buy that shit for myself. If it ain't good, whatever. 2007 is right around the corner and there's mad stuff dropping. Maybe that Nas/Primo joint???

#19 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

This hip hop music was built on reps and a lotta bragadoious shit that you must have missed. Thats what this is about.

I'm trying to type this in between laughs so bear with me, first of all emceeing and beatmaking go hand in hand, they are the yin and yang of this whole hip hop shit. To say one is better than the other is quite ridiculous.

To make a statement that Hip Hop music is not about beats, thats like spitting in the face of everyone from Marley Marl, Premier, Diamond D, Da Beatminerz, and every other quality producer thats kept our heads boppin through the years.

#20 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

Nas is one of the all time greats. I only heard part of money over bullshit and I love it already. It's been a good year for rap.

yep

#21 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

This thread spits hot fiyah like Dylan.

#22 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

Yeah what the deal BillSteady? No need to be so offensive man. How are you gonna tell someone he isn't hip-hop because he likes beats? That's crazy. Pete Rock isn't hip-hop? RZA? Madlib? With hip-hop I was always under the impression you had a beat AND lyrics. When did that change?

As for Nas I'm still excited for it. I'm too hopeless a fan to listen to a leaked version - I need to buy that shit for myself. If it ain't good, whatever. 2007 is right around the corner and there's mad stuff dropping. Maybe that Nas/Primo joint???

Your reading skills are not up to par. If someone says that they're not going to listen to hip hop anymore because the beats are wack, wouldn't that imply that beats are the only reason they're listening? I don't think beat programmers had anything to do with the birth of this culture, pick up a book. I think theres disconnect between what hip hop is and what rap music is with some of you cats. Shakey how does one stop listening to hip hop? Hip hop is a culture. I don't think you understand my comments, because it appears you don't even understand the culture I'm talking about. You sound like a bandwagon hip hopper.

Projexion, I'm most disappionted in your statements because you've PRESENTED yourself as a dj. Those are beats programmers you've listed, not producers first off. They're only a part of the culture. How the fuck does emceeing and beats making go hand in hand. Just cause its been presented that way and you ate it up, doesn't make it true. Where were the beat makers during the block parties and events that birthed rap music!? Beatboxing is the only element of hip hop that has senority like emceeing. Before ASRs, MPCs, DAT tapes or any of that shit, it was djs, breaks, beatboxers!. I have advice for you, Style Wars, Wild Style, Beat Street! Let me know when you see a beat programmer or producer in anyone of those representations of authentic hip hop.....hahaha

I just hope I don't find myself at one of your dj sets!!!

#23 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

And did he seriously re-edit his lyrics on Hip Hop Is Dead (the title track) to sugarcoat his own shit? (Went from "murder the DJ" to "wreck the DJ" and so on). That's just....

Yeah that is weird, who knows the reasoning behind it. I thought Paul Mooney got to him because he cut out all the n-bombz from the original version too.

I've got 4-5 cuts that didn't make the album, the dirty version of "Hip Hop Is Dead", "The N" and a few others...hey Nas.

#24 evolelor

evolelor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

Wow, if rappers could only release voice-only records...

Yeah, the majority of record buyers seem to care more about beats = they'd rather dance, and there's nothing wrong with that; after all this is music. But maybe the problem is that these same people aren't really aware of why they like these songs. If records were released on 2 discs, with disc 1 being voice only and disc 2 being instrumental only then maybe people would recognize who is responsible for them enjoying the song. When such and such a record makes a certain amount of money it is only the vocalist's name you see on the Billboard charts, right?

An equal importance should be placed on crafting interesting instrumentals and rhymes. The combination can be so sublime.

As for Nas' new record I've only heard the title song. The beat for this was jacked from a previous song that jacked a hook from an older song - but Nasir my dear bit himself as opposed to someone else. Haha! His lyrics are interesting here, but as I said in a previous thread, I'd much rather read the lyrics than listen to him say them.

#25 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

Projexion, I'm most disappionted in your statements because you've PRESENTED yourself as a dj. Those are beats programmers you've listed, not producers first off. They're only a part of the culture. How the fuck does emceeing and beats making go hand in hand. Just cause its been presented that way and you ate it up, doesn't make it true. Where were the beat makers during the block parties and events that birthed rap music!? Beatboxing is the only element of hip hop that has senority like emceeing. Before ASRs, MPCs, DAT tapes or any of that shit, it was djs, breaks, beatboxers!. I have advice for you, Style Wars, Wild Style, Beat Street! Let me know when you see a beat programmer or producer in anyone of those representations of authentic hip hop.....hahaha

I just hope I don't find myself at one of your dj sets!!!

See now you're just contradicting yourself, breaks and beatboxing are beats themselves hand selected or created by someone. Those breaks they loved to play were programmed beats themselves! So tell me what's the difference between Kool Herc hand selecting and playing a break he loves and DJ Premier looping a break he loves and presenting it as a beat? To me it seems that one was born out of the other, an inevitable evolution.

And there's no need to put me down as a DJ, I have as much respect for the genesis of hip hop as you do. I thought these boards were about spreading knowledge, this just comes off as snobbery.

#26 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:58 AM

Those breaks they loved to play were programmed beats themselves! So tell me what's the difference between Kool Herc hand selecting and playing a break he loves and DJ Premier looping a break he loves and presenting it as a beat?

Those breaks were played, with instruments, not programmed with sequencing technology. Thats quite a difference to me. I don't feel that playing say, James Brown or Apache and watching breakers get loose, is the same as chopping a sample and presenting it as your own beat. One came from the other, but the presenter has a different role. He's not calling it his creation. The way that Kool Herc uses it makes the break a tool, not a title, lifestyle or a means to generate income. Its to rock a party, only. I chop samples and make beats like everyone else, but I would never say that it could ever go toe to toe with the source I got it from.

#27 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

Well, I guess your beats suck, I got plenty of samples that Ive chopped up and I would much rather listen to mine than the original.
Gee, I wonder then, if you feel you can never make a beat that comes anywhere near as good as the original why do you make beats?

even worse, why do you listen to hiphop?
why dont you just listen to EasyRock 103 FM? Or strictly jazz yah butter cup?

#28 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image

#29 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

Well, I guess your beats suck, I got plenty of samples that Ive chopped up and I would much rather listen to mine than the original.
Gee, I wonder then, if you feel you can never make a beat that comes anywhere near as good as the original why do you make beats?

even worse, why do you listen to hiphop?
why dont you just listen to EasyRock 103 FM? Or strictly jazz yah butter cup?

Now that I've discovered that I'm not reading words of an adult, your post suddenly makes sense. Weren't you the pillowbiter from the Ghostface thread that said that you wished Ghostface's music was easier to listen to? Lets see.........

"he can tell good stories but his has gottsta go, that winey nasal?

ooosh, thats not easy listening."

The thing is, I'm not a beat programmer, and judging from your myspace page.......NEITHER ARE YOU!! I chop beats and samples well....because I want to and as a studio engineer I have access to do so. Sure you would like to listen to your beats over some originals, you probably don't have the wits to know any better.

P.S. I love friendly banter with E-thugs, keep it coming...

#30 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:31 AM

somebody please judge my myspace page

thanks

eom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users