Cant wait for this shit!

#2 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

Yah, I actually liked the passion and the Road Warrior so who knows this one couild be good, sure looks cool tho. lots of action on that puppy.

#3 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:08 AM

The Passion was a bit overrated IMO, but hopefully this one will be more in the Braveheart vein with lots of battle sequences and war carnage. A lot of people are making a big deal about the dialogue being in Mayan, but come on how cheesy would this be if they were speaking in broken English?

#4 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:52 AM

I owuld love to see that.

Hey tonto------ there - are -white people over there.................

Lets go eat there brains kimosabe

Posted Image

#5 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

Actually it would probably sound more like:

"Him evil Jew, sacrifice him to gods"

#6 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

friend of mine is a Mayan archaeologist who was sent to preview this movie by National Geographic last week. He was entertained by the thriller aspect of it, but was so disgusted with the historical inaccuracies and depictions of the Mayans as savages (think "King Kong") that he wrote his opinions in an op-ed piece to the LA Times.

He felt that the film would undoubtedly create interest in the Mayan & precolumbian civilizations, but the its lasting impression of them is one of simply jungle bands, bloodthirsty masses duped by false religion, who could only be saved in the end by the coming Christian beliefs.

As he wrote to me, "As in The Passion of the Christ, he [mel] used native languages to create credibility for the picture. Yucatec Maya is used throughout Apocalypto, but this doesnt make the portrayal of the Maya more accurate, and in fact does much to legitimize this rather strange version of Maya history ... irresponsible representations by Hollywood of indigenous peoples as amoral, inhuman, or uncivilized can only lead to greater misunderstanding and strife in contemporary society."

#7 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

friend of mine is a Mayan archaeologist who was sent to preview this movie by National Geographic last week. He was entertained by the thriller aspect of it, but was so disgusted with the historical inaccuracies and depictions of the Mayans as savages (think "King Kong") that he wrote his opinions in an op-ed piece to the LA Times.

He felt that the film would undoubtedly create interest in the Mayan & precolumbian civilizations, but the its lasting impression of them is one of simply jungle bands, bloodthirsty masses duped by false religion, who could only be saved in the end by the coming Christian beliefs.

As he wrote to me, "As in The Passion of the Christ, he [mel] used native languages to create credibility for the picture. Yucatec Maya is used throughout Apocalypto, but this doesnt make the portrayal of the Maya more accurate, and in fact does much to legitimize this rather strange version of Maya history ... irresponsible representations by Hollywood of indigenous peoples as amoral, inhuman, or uncivilized can only lead to greater misunderstanding and strife in contemporary society."

Dosen't suprise me much. I am suprised that people are so optimistic about this film. It's fairly obvious that Mel, in all probability, would have an alterior motive to making this film. I mean, this guy is pretty hard core Christian and I think that most of his films, from here on out, will have that slant to it.

In an interview, I heard Mel was using this film to comment on the disposable society we currently live in. For example (which he used), we are such a disposable/wastefull people that we have disposable phones. Apparantly, his "goal" (according to this interview) was to use this Mayan civilization to draw comparisons to their wasteful habits and our (America/modern society) wasteful habits, and then have the flick end with the Mayans getting thrust into extinction.

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not so sure how or if this aspect comes across.

But getting back to the inaccuracies and the "savage" portrayal of the Mayans, again, I'm not too suprised.

#8 Operatore

Operatore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:45 AM

I could imagine Mel calling women on the set sugar tits. lol

#9 boatben

boatben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

yeah, I'm about to go check it.

I was pretty psyched, but that false portayal of the Mayans doen't surprise me at all.

got your boy hoping i dont get innundated with heaps of conservative christian nonsense.

dont disappoint me melle mel.

you got alot to make up for before you win back this jew.

bless up

#10 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

STMB Hooligan/Ne'er-do-well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

Why would you want to give Mel any of your hard earned $$$? The man is a douchebag of the highest order.

Let's buy the jew-hater another house, yaaaay!

Posted Image

#11 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

wow, I really want to see this because I would love to see how he would put in a Christian agenda. Damn evangelical bastard!!!

:P

#12 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

Just saw it last night and I'll just cut to the chase, straight up the best movie of the year! This movie does prove how sick and crazy the mind of Mel Gibson is, but minds like that make some great cinema. I didn't really notice that many religious overtones, probably because most of the movie is like an Action/Adventure. It reminded me a lot of Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans. And it was definitely pretty high on the gore/violence meter. Can't wait to see it again!

#13 Afro Harping

Afro Harping

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

Movie's phat.

The last hour of it is non-stop action...in a good way.

It has it's flaws, but it's a good time for sure.

#14 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

i'll stick tp P.B.S. or a good documentary reagarding the mayan civilization. this film seems degrading to me.

fuck hollywood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users