STMB Beat Battle 46

47 replies to this topic

#1 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:47 AM

Ok folks...bit o' controversy on the last one...

Remember that deadline times for beat submissions and for voting are at midnight eastern standard time (US East Coast).

We've been lax about taking beat submissions late because it doesn't really change anything unless the voting thread is up & running, but when it comes to voting it's kinda lame to come in after the deadline (I had spent about an hour searching for a good sample track only to check back in and see that I no longer needed to find one). So in the future let's keep it honest.

At the midnight deadline, it was a tie between The Wig Master and myself. I propose we each post a sample and let kids have at it. For those that are not aware, CaptainCookie's Spacebound Project is having a remix competition to be released along with the full length...so bonus for you if you can work an acapella of their's into your track somehow. Look for the Spacebound remix thread for details on that one.

Remember...rules are pretty much the same as always...

Open drums...

Limited synth (no synth tracks with a stab here and there from the sample track)...

Vocals are limited to cuts and short samples unless you're remixing a Spacebound track...but the remix thing is optional so don't feel obligated.

I will post my sample soon...be on the lookout for Wig Master's as well...

#2 sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

acappellas are coming later, maybe till tonight it's all up. the files are pretty big.

#3 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:27 AM

OK...got two choices for ya'll...

You want some Brazilian stuff or some 70s funk?

#4 sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

View PostSubBass49, on Dec 30 2007, 11:27 AM, said:

OK...got two choices for ya'll...

You want some Brazilian stuff or some 70s funk?

whatever you feel is right

#5 JustAnotherDj

noone special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

:lol:..... hajimemashita... doso yorosku onigaishimasu.... nihongo O wakarimasu ka?.... omorhiroi yo.. :P

FUNK ME UP!

#6 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Ayite...funk it is...

Jacked from my little brother's find from his first digging session...

Brick - Push, Push

Not too many fat loops, but some nice heavy drums and short bits to play with...

...and if ya'll think it sucks lemme know and I'll post the Brazilian stuff instead...

EDIT - I don't actually speak Japanese...lol...

#7 JustAnotherDj

noone special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

View PostSubBass49, on Dec 30 2007, 08:44 PM, said:

EDIT - I don't actually speak Japanese...lol...
Kso...ahhnooo....dijobu desu yo... baka. :P

im liking this sample though! yup, count me in this week. peas

#8 2 Mello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

i like this one as well. good find. I'll be back with a creation.

#9 The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Catasto Elettrico

#10 sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

you can find all acappellas here. enjoy. good luck with the remix.

#11 JustAnotherDj

noone special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:54 AM

ɥɔʇıq 'uʍop ǝpısdn s ,ʇı!!!!!!!!!!
:mellow:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me! it is!

#12 t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

maybe it's a bit early to be posting the beats, but I figure that I am pretty much done with these...

anyway, I've only been doing beats for about a month and a half so any feedback, whether positive, negative or constructive would be greatly appreciated..!!

STMB46 - T!llman

I'm sure it's pretty obvious but Slumber Freak = Push, Push
Token of Filth = Odeon

Thanks, Good Luck and Enjoy..!!

Edit: the MySpace player really seems to take some of the bite out of these..oh well...

#13 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

View Postt!llman, on Dec 31 2007, 02:21 PM, said:

maybe it's a bit early to be posting the beats, but I figure that I am pretty much done with these...

anyway, I've only been doing beats for about a month and a half so any feedback, whether positive, negative or constructive would be greatly appreciated..!!

STMB46 - T!llman

I'm sure it's pretty obvious but Slumber Freak = Push, Push
Token of Filth = Odeon

Thanks, Good Luck and Enjoy..!!

Edit: the MySpace player really seems to take some of the bite out of these..oh well...

Man...gotta say for a month & a half of beat makin' these ain't bad...not at all...

Usually we save these for Friday posting though...unless there's a good reason we cant post 'em on Friday of course...

Feedback...

Slumber Freak: Good use of the natural loops in the track...you'll get more props typically if you do a bit more chopping though...around here that is...but really not a bad track at all...be cool for a freestyle emcee to just go to town on...

Token of Filth: The echo on the snare works well here...I didn't mess with this track much though yet, so It's harder for me to tell what's what in your mix...might wanna bring up the ride cymbal a bit...some hats would probably help drive the beat as well...but again...for the amount of tim eyou've been making beats these are pretty good shit....

#14 t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

View PostSubBass49, on Dec 31 2007, 08:20 PM, said:

Man...gotta say for a month & a half of beat makin' these ain't bad...not at all...

Usually we save these for Friday posting though...unless there's a good reason we cant post 'em on Friday of course...

Feedback...

Slumber Freak: Good use of the natural loops in the track...you'll get more props typically if you do a bit more chopping though...around here that is...but really not a bad track at all...be cool for a freestyle emcee to just go to town on...

Token of Filth: The echo on the snare works well here...I didn't mess with this track much though yet, so It's harder for me to tell what's what in your mix...might wanna bring up the ride cymbal a bit...some hats would probably help drive the beat as well...but again...for the amount of tim eyou've been making beats these are pretty good shit....

First off THANKS for the kind words..!! Sorry for posting early, I will aim for Fridays going forward..

more chopping..?!?! ha ha, I feel these, especially "Slumber Freak" are some of my most chopped to date -- actually I didn't post my beat from last week's song because I felt it was way too literal, not enough chops but rather just letting the sample do most of the work. Anyway good to know to bring more chops to the party going forward..actually I should probably be chopping things up a bit more anyway, so...

As for the levels and hats and stuff -- they're actually in there but it seems that the MySpace player muddied it all up a bit -- I supose I could EQ it better to make up for it.. (does anyone have any advice on getting the best sound out of that player..??)

bottom line, before I write too long of a post, while I am pretty happy with these I know I got some work to do and things to learn..so I look forward to more of these -- and I am definitely looking forward to hearing what everyone else does with either/both of these songs..!!

Good Luck and Thanks again..!!

Oh yeah - Happy New Year..!!

#15 The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

i like the arrangements. only thing i would do is funk them up a little--more swing and sloppiness would help. try to be less dependent on using the grid/quantizing

as for the myspace player, things always sound fine to me in there when i put my beats in. only thing i will do before uploading is bump up the track's volume in iTunes

#16 TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

MySpace player destroys high frequencies...I try to beef those up before uploading and using a little trial and error...

#17 Uncle Remus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

well, it's almost friday. MY BEAT for 46. enjoy. (listen again even if you checked it out before from the other thread, cuz i changed a few things and just uploaded the new version.)

no synth, everything is sampled from those two tracks, except for the crash, which i got from sabian's website. both sabian and zildjian have pretty much their entire catalog available for previewing online btw, it's a great source for cymbal samples if you don't mind the low-fi thing.

i'm looking forward to hearing everybody else's stuff.

#18 TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

Remus the beat is reallllly good. i played it at work at the end of the day and my coworker lynn said her feet wouldn't stop moving...she couldn't stop dancing...lol.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a battle/spacebound track...i'll leave feedback this weekend.

#19 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

Dammit...posted my track to my Myspace but it's not showing up in the player...

I'll update ya'll when it's finally up & running...

Probably wont get too many votes because I went on an El-P tip this week...but I DID get a chance to do lots of variations/changes/etc in the track...well...at least more than usual...thanks to WigMaster's sample pick...

#20 TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:55 AM

Sub that sounds badass, man. I'm loving all the mech ish in the background...the vox samples are perfecto...nice mood.

...didn't use Wigs choice at all...not enough time to dig around in that toolbox. The chops I used were pretty straightforward...and I've been using pretty much only parts from the samples for the last few weeks...so I threw in a bunch of crazy ish this week for fun.. A little after the 1:00 mark is a Spacebound accapella called...umm....Track 3. Anyway I probably need to redo the acappella anyway...I think it is still off even though I timed the og beat for it... I can chop off the first minute for a quick remix if the Spacebound cats n dogs crew would like it...

I had a rough week at work so I declared war on that Brick sample...

LISTEN LOUD

TKurata - The Funk War Fair (feat MC Jon Wayne)
B) B) B) B) B) B)

So far the first two beats are incredible....battles are THRIVING....

-TKurata

#21 cralias

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

my entry:
stmb 46

#22 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

OK...up & running now...

Call it, "How Can We Love Those Kids"

(based on the record I got the intro sample from)

It's my first time doing a beat this distorted and (somewhat) crazy...so feedback is much appreciated.

As you can tell, I've been listening to a lot of El-P lately.

EDIT: Might get around to dropping some of your vox over it later MC Jon Wayne...

#23 Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

wow i swear everyweek these beats get better and better and harder to vote, but here's mine

http://www.myspace.com/areou

#24 TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

View PostSubBass49, on Jan 4 2008, 11:59 AM, said:

As you can tell, I've been listening to a lot of El-P lately.
...so this might be an inroad to spread the word about John Darnielle...have you heard the track "Coffee" off of Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass? It's the final track...yeah it's not an El-P track but I figured you would also be a fan of Aesop Rock...anyway this collabo is poorly conceived and is pretty wacktastic but...that shouldn't stop you from seeking out some John Darnielle/Mountain Goats material. It just might change your life. (Coroner's Gambit, Tallahassee, All Hail West Texas, The Sunset Tree...best Goats albums) Ok sorry for the thread jack...Areou I'm clicking on your beat now...

#25 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

View PostTKurata, on Jan 4 2008, 09:27 AM, said:

...so this might be an inroad to spread the word about John Darnielle...have you heard the track "Coffee" off of Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass? It's the final track...yeah it's not an El-P track but I figured you would also be a fan of Aesop Rock...anyway this collabo is poorly conceived and is pretty wacktastic but...that shouldn't stop you from seeking out some John Darnielle/Mountain Goats material. It just might change your life. (Coroner's Gambit, Tallahassee, All Hail West Texas, The Sunset Tree...best Goats albums) Ok sorry for the thread jack...Areou I'm clicking on your beat now...

I'll definitely check it out...

I like probably the first half of that track...like Aesop's flow on it...but when that douchebag starts singing to the tune of Smells Like Teen Spirit...that's when I hit the skip button...

#26 BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

Nice beats so far. Uncle Remus' beat is killin' it....good job.

#27 TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

View PostSubBass49, on Jan 4 2008, 12:48 PM, said:

I like probably the first half of that track...like Aesop's flow on it...but when that douchebag starts singing to the tune of Smells Like Teen Spirit...that's when I hit the skip button...
LOL yeah that collabo was a bad idea...that douchebag is one of my all time heroes...Darnielle and Aesop met at a festival and were mutual fans so they promised to collab. I was hyped about it til I heard it...yeah...if you knew John's music you would see why it was probably a terrible idea from the start. Most of Darnielle's catalog is super lo-fi folky stuff recorded into a boombox...incredible music though. For me the greatest living lyricist. Ok I'm done I promise...
-TK

#28 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

View PostTKurata, on Jan 4 2008, 10:14 AM, said:

LOL yeah that collabo was a bad idea...that douchebag is one of my all time heroes...Darnielle and Aesop met at a festival and were mutual fans so they promised to collab. I was hyped about it til I heard it...yeah...if you knew John's music you would see why it was probably a terrible idea from the start. Most of Darnielle's catalog is super lo-fi folky stuff recorded into a boombox...incredible music though. For me the greatest living lyricist. Ok I'm done I promise...
-TK

Yeah...no doubt...I havent heard any of his other stuff so I can't really comment on that...just that it didn't fit with Aesop Rock AT ALL...lol...but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads-up...always lookin for good new stuff to listen to.

#29 Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

yo good call i'm a huge def jux fan for sure, i think its obvious by most my beats i love rjd2, and when i heard that "woo" in that sample i was thinking the same thing (sub) and that track coffee is one of my faves on that albumn it was great personally i thought blockhead a hit or miss production on that whole lp but i was extremly impressed with how aesop seems to be coming into his own with his production. but i mean with the collab issue el-p on his newest was working with some indie rock types, i think he's trying to get sales there, not to say i don't think he doesn't respect those cats and want to work with them but you know it's a biz............ sorry i ramble i just don't get to talk music with anybody latley since my roomate moved out but good looks with all the beats so far i think i might even do one of those step by step things

#30 quasquasquas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

View PostTKurata, on Jan 4 2008, 04:55 AM, said:

Sub that sounds badass, man. I'm loving all the mech ish in the background...the vox samples are perfecto...nice mood.

...didn't use Wigs choice at all...not enough time to dig around in that toolbox. The chops I used were pretty straightforward...and I've been using pretty much only parts from the samples for the last few weeks...so I threw in a bunch of crazy ish this week for fun.. A little after the 1:00 mark is a Spacebound accapella called...umm....Track 3. Anyway I probably need to redo the acappella anyway...I think it is still off even though I timed the og beat for it... I can chop off the first minute for a quick remix if the Spacebound cats n dogs crew would like it...

I had a rough week at work so I declared war on that Brick sample...

LISTEN LOUD

TKurata - The Funk War Fair (feat MC Jon Wayne)
:lol: :lol: B) B) B) B)

So far the first two beats are incredible....battles are THRIVING....

-TKurata

siiiick track right there...i havent listened to the others yet, but this one has my head noddin..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users