• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hey guys.
I'm mixing a track right now, and anyone who's familiar with FL's interface will probably understand what I'm talking about...

So normally, when you "slice" a track in the "playlist" window, you can switch your cursor back to a "draw" tool and then manually go in and shorten the length of a particular track, rather than having to precisely slice wherever your start/end points are and then just deleting all the useless stuff in between.

Got that? lol...it gets fucking confusing.

So for whatever reason, my version of FL has now just randomly decided to stop using that feature. Instead, now when i grab the end point of a track and then try to bring it back a few bars to shorten it (like maybe my vocals got messed up at the very end, and I just wanna get rid of the last 2 bars- so I just drag the "end" of the track back to that position 2 bars prior to where it originally was), it doesn't do this. It will now adjust the entire track's length, and automatically speed/pitch up the tempo to compensate for the few bars I tried cutting off to begin with...and it keeps those bars. So now, instead of just this simple process that should literally be a click and a drag, it 1) doesn't slice the track at all, and 2) speeds up my vocals, which (as you all know) completely screws up the tempo of the track and basically ruins my project unless I backtrack to the beginning. It may sound like it's not that big of a deal, but it really is if you spend a lot of time mixing tracks like I do...now something very simple has turned extremely complicated. I assume there's an options menu of some sort where you can set this up to your tastes- I'm wondering if any tech-savvy peeps on here could tell me where the fuck I need to go to change it back to its original settings. Please and thank you.

-jf

#2 thejawn

thejawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

is it a cracked version?

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

is it a cracked version?

it is, but i don't think its relevant in this particular situation, because i've been having no issues with any of this stuff until very recently.

#4 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

move on

FL Studio is crap
  • James Frank. likes this

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

move on

FL Studio is crap

great statement, i agree...but i don't have the $ to buy a better program at the moment. does anyone on here have any real advice for me, or am i just fucked now?
  • Grifty-Rodriguez likes this

#6 ifon

ifon

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Have a look at Audio Clip Focus in http://www.image-lin...t_audioclip.htm
Sounds like you've clicked on Stretch rather than Zero Cross
  • James Frank. and oz_tinado like this

#7 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

...FL Studio is crap

I complete disagree with this statement
  • scabs, Jadoe, Jompseri and 2 others like this

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Have a look at Audio Clip Focus in http://www.image-lin...t_audioclip.htm
Sounds like you've clicked on Stretch rather than Zero Cross

Thank you!!! i knew it was an easy solution...but if you don't know exactly what needs to be changed, then you're pretty much screwed.

Thread over.

#9 Conzo

Conzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/inkliing

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

move on

FL Studio is crap

It's not crap. I know some real dope producers who use it. Like anything it's a matter of practice/ how well you know it and not using terrible samples.
  • James Frank. likes this

#10 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

I complete disagree with this statement

Yeah, like anything, it's all in how you use it. A Casio keyboard from 1988 may seem like crap, but if you know how to play it can be just as expressive as a korg in the hands of a child.

#11 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

move on

FL Studio is crap

damn primate...
I feel like teebs, jonwayne, and ahnnu might disagree :D

#12 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

It's not crap. I know some real dope producers who use it. Like anything it's a matter of practice/ how well you know it and not using terrible samples.

damn primate...
I feel like teebs, jonwayne, and ahnnu might disagree :D

Yeah, like anything, it's all in how you use it. A Casio keyboard from 1988 may seem like crap, but if you know how to play it can be just as expressive as a korg in the hands of a child.

being exceptionally talented at making good music with crap materials doesn't make the instrument/software/hardware not crap

madlib used a 303 and a portable turntable for a portion of madvillain. the product was great, sure, but that still doesn't stop the setup from being extremely limited and hilariously impractical virtually anywhere other than a brazilian hotel room
  • DJ Tav!k and Heavy Drama like this

#13 g1sm0

g1sm0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/g1sm0

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

download ableton, if you can download fl studio then u can download ableton to.

fuck fl

sorry just hate it

#14 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:headphones, wayfarers, winning medals.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

i think FL gets a lotta flack because it's name has negative connotations- mostly because of dudes like Soulja Boy who went platinum using presets and stock sounds that come with the demo version...and tbh Fruity Loops is a retarded name for your software lol. but i still use it, and i don't really have problems with it- i never use the stock sounds though, i just download freeware for synths and ambient noise, or sometimes i'll use a field recorder and then tweak it- i've gotten some pretty good results from using it. just because the interface is a little diff and less tweakable than more high-end software licenses, i think it's pretty good for what it is. Ableton's nice, and if i had to actually spend $ on software it'd probably be for that...but there's not that big of a diff between the two, they both do the same thing basically. i think limiting yourself forces you into more creativity- just look at Madlib and his 303, or Kool Herc literally spinning the record manually to make the turntable play a couple bars of music for him to record into a tape deck to loop over and over...it's not the software, but the artist that uses it.
  • linkrust and CT508 like this

#15 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

great statement, i agree...but i don't have the $ to buy a better program at the moment. does anyone on here have any real advice for me, or am i just fucked now?

Get an MPC, software sucks for making beats. DAW's are ONLY meant for recording and editing, but they try to sell you this whole package that it can be used for making beats also through marketing. The best thing and only thing I recommend for beatmaking is an Akai MPC. Once you have a MPC then you can use a DAW to track your beats in to if you want
  • DJ Primate and bza wan kenobi like this

#16 linkrust

linkrust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

I would like to help you James Franck but i don't really understand your problem ! have you try to turn it of and on again ?
... no seriously in the playlist window focus on audio clips (top right left below the tools) then below this option you will have two other options. try with and without. hope it ll solve your problem
I like FL studio. I ve done tracks with it. Its a high sound quality software. I ve done this track with FL
i like my mpc , i like my keyboards , i like reason , ableton...
any tool is good ... it depend who s using it :lol: ...
peace james

#17 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Get an MPC, software sucks for making beats. DAW's are ONLY meant for recording and editing, but they try to sell you this whole package that it can be used for making beats also through marketing. The best thing and only thing I recommend for beatmaking is an Akai MPC. Once you have a MPC then you can use a DAW to track your beats in to if you want

listen to this guy
  • DJ Tav!k likes this

#18 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

yeah, i would get an MPC if i had the funds...
but for now in the mean time, i do also own an SP-303. so i do understand the benefits of analog production. i just wanna be able to use the MPD that i paid almost as much money on ebay for to get my $ out of it. it's obviously a respected machine if cats like FlyLo, Lunice, and Baths use it- i just don't know what their machines are running on that mine isn't. someone has explained to me that it may be the ASIO drivers, or possibly even the fact that i use a cracked version of FL Studio...but either way, the thing is literally just sitting and collecting dust in my closet until i can figure it out.

#19 jondis

jondis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

Sounds like you have "stretch" selected in the playlist section ( graph or sequencer area) , , Make sure the audio tab is selected on the top left of window in playlist ( its the 1st tab to the left , under neath the magnet symbol) .. Just take off the DOT next to "stretch" and u can change the length of your sample with out sqeezing or stretching the entire file.

wrrrdd,, hope this helps

#20 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

yeah, i would get an MPC if i had the funds...
but for now in the mean time, i do also own an SP-303. so i do understand the benefits of analog production. i just wanna be able to use the MPD that i paid almost as much money on ebay for to get my $ out of it. it's obviously a respected machine if cats like FlyLo, Lunice, and Baths use it- i just don't know what their machines are running on that mine isn't. someone has explained to me that it may be the ASIO drivers, or possibly even the fact that i use a cracked version of FL Studio...but either way, the thing is literally just sitting and collecting dust in my closet until i can figure it out.

Their machines run on the same thing yours runs on, processors and ram, lol. From what I know FlyLo uses Ableton with the APC 40, he only used the MPD when he was starting out. And Ableton is the absolute worse DAW out of the whole bunch, I admit it has the best features for producing on a "in-the box" set up, And time-stretch on Ableton is the best I ever heard. But it lacks usability and is just horribly designed and very difficult to use which totally ruins it. But anyways, I understand that not everyone has the budget right away for an MPC and a lot of people do start out with FL Studio, I know I did when I first started making beats. I recommend actually buying it though, never use a pirated DAW, they tend not to work so well and are unreliable. FL Studio is only $100 and you can even get it for $70-80 if you buy it at the right place, maybe cheaper. Once you buy it you get free updates for life, and the drivers will always be kept up to date and you also get customer support.

Also not sure what MPD you have but if you have the MPD 32 and you sell that along with your 303 on ebay you should definitely get enough money for the MPC 2000 (I've seen em go for as low as $300-400). And this is the route I recommend you take

#21 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

Their machines run on the same thing yours runs on, processors and ram, lol. From what I know FlyLo uses Ableton with the APC 40, he only used the MPD when he was starting out. And Ableton is the absolute worse DAW out of the whole bunch, I admit it has the best features for producing on a "in-the box" set up, And time-stretch on Ableton is the best I ever heard. But it lacks usability and is just horribly designed and very difficult to use which totally ruins it. But anyways, I understand that not everyone has the budget right away for an MPC and a lot of people do start out with FL Studio, I know I did when I first started making beats. I recommend actually buying it though, never use a pirated DAW, they tend not to work so well and are unreliable. FL Studio is only $100 and you can even get it for $70-80 if you buy it at the right place, maybe cheaper. Once you buy it you get free updates for life, and the drivers will always be kept up to date and you also get customer support.

Also not sure what MPD you have but if you have the MPD 32 and you sell that along with your 303 on ebay you should definitely get enough money for the MPC 2000 (I've seen em go for as low as $300-400). And this is the route I recommend you take

Pirated Daws work fine, if the crack is done right, the cracked cubase 5 worked better than the proper cubase 6 and I'm pretty sure Ableton have said that Live is actually not a daw in the manual. So once James has sold all his stuff, what does he do next when he's got the MPC 2000, XL at least, 2000 can't resample at different bit rates, how does he track it, he will still have the same problems. MPC Ren, or Maschine is the way forward, then track it into a daw, you only need to worry about cracked programs if your going to make money out of your beats, be like being a Taxi driver with a stolen car, I've ended up buying loads of different stuff due to torrent and cracks, the demo's suck, no time to try it properly and you have half the functions. If you do get an MPC 2000 or XL what do you do when it goes wrong, you have to find an independent body to fix it, expensive hassle that is not worth the stress. Each to their own but this day and age, got to watch your cash flow.
  • SunnyMeadowz and oz_tinado like this

#22 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

So once James has sold all his stuff, what does he do next when he's got the MPC 2000, XL at least, 2000 can't resample at different bit rates, how does he track it, he will still have the same problems.

I lol'd.

#23 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Audacity is all you need.
Boom.
  • oz_tinado likes this

#24 bza wan kenobi

bza wan kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:beats&budz

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Boom.

hopefully this is a joke

but ODK is on point. while i could use song mode on my 1000 to produce a whole track and just record out from that, it's much easier to use a DAW and lay out your sequences in whatever order you may like. the workflow increases tenfold imo if you have a nice midi controller such as the MPD, i just am in love with the mpc1000 and wouldn't give that up. i use FL, i torrented and cracked it, and have never had a problem with anything (including exporting). sorry that this has nothing to do with your original question james lol, i just can't sit by and let people talk shit about fruity loops when it is actually a pretty expansive DAW. just gotta take the time to learn it.

#25 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

hopefully this is a joke

but ODK is on point. while i could use song mode on my 1000 to produce a whole track and just record out from that, it's much easier to use a DAW and lay out your sequences in whatever order you may like. the workflow increases tenfold imo if you have a nice midi controller such as the MPD, i just am in love with the mpc1000 and wouldn't give that up. i use FL, i torrented and cracked it, and have never had a problem with anything (including exporting). sorry that this has nothing to do with your original question james lol, i just can't sit by and let people talk shit about fruity loops when it is actually a pretty expansive DAW. just gotta take the time to learn it.

I went through it all myself wasted a lot of time, this bit of info is priceless and I'm still smiling days later
" never use a pirated DAW, they tend not to work so well and are unreliable" ha ha!! how can one know it's shit unless you get on your knees stick your nose in and have a good sniff, yup that's shit alright. And on closing on DAW's FL Studio is not called fruity loops anymore, they dropped that whole thing when they sorted out the Audio engine and decided to get serious with a good product, aimed at beat makers, like ableton also and the live remix aspect. It's Marketing, we don't need another Cubase , Pro tools, reaper, Presonus, Digital Performer, Samplitude, Logic, more than enough side scrolling programs. This is ending up like, "Ooo look at Ableton and FL studio, they're the special needs kids in the class" hope so as they are always got more character. No one ever mentions Sequoia, most honest mix downs I've ever heard, it's meant to be $2500, I'm sure we're just given the same toy's to play with, thats what I track into.

#26 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Boom.

bruh that ain't real

dual tape decks for that raw shit
  • SunnyMeadowz, D'MosPhree and oz_tinado like this

#27 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

bruh that ain't real

dual tape decks for that raw shit

I record everything on scotch tape.
  • DJ Primate likes this

#28 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

I record everything on scotch tape.

i rap into a jar and open it whenever i want to listen to it
  • gEEchieDan and oz_tinado like this

#29 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

i rap into a jar and open it whenever i want to listen to it

Fuck that! I just pull out shells I find on the beach and let those freestyle on my scotch tape beats.
  • DJ Primate likes this

#30 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:headphones, wayfarers, winning medals.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

i just hold a dub plate really close to my mouth and make the sound waves myself by yelling into the grooves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users