#1 mplsSOUL

mplsSOUL

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • Interests:punani, sounds, beer

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

im having a rough time right now, i feel like i'm lost...

#2 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

I can feel you on that tip.

stay up, that's all I can say.

#3 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

im having a rough time right now, i feel like i'm lost...

I'm not sure if this is triggered by a particular event or a general malaise or the wtf am i doing with my life right now?
anyway, asking for advice is the first step so take some pride in that

some advice that worked for me

• Keep active - exercise
  • Think positively or at least neutrally. If you're mind is saying things like 'I'll never accomplish x [achievement] because I'm so x [negative quality]' you're predicting a negative result and applying a label to yourself that might not neccessarily be true and based on flawed evidence. there's lots of patterns of negative thinking which can be quite subtle and pervasive. PM me if you think you can use some more advice in this area
  • be self-disciplined when trying to achieve things. maybe make a list of the things you want to get done and give yourself rewards (a movie) on completion of those tasks. just handling your business will give you a boost
  • Eat well and regularily, don't just eat one crap meal a day and snack on shit food
  • get 7-8 hours sleep at regular times. If you're going to do any of the above, sleep is a sound basis. your doc can prescibe sleeping pills to help you get to sleep but go easy on them and try to phase them out as soon as possible - they can be addictive
  • breathing exercises/meditation might or might not help with the anxiety
  • if you are drinking or smoking weed a lot, cut down or quit as they don't help and only make you more depressed
  • be appreciative as often as possible, even keep a diary for a week or two where you make a note of 5 things a day you appreciate - could be something small like 'it was sunny today' - the idea is to train your mind to be in an appreciative mode. People at auschwitz managed this so you probably can too

#4 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Beats Teeshirts & MaryJane

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:03 AM

yo, me too.
maybe we could start a STMB support group. :rolleyes: Anything you'd like to get off your chest?

like Cookie said, keep your head up.... keep doing what you do, things should eventually click into place (that's what I'm hoping anyway!). Keeping busy is a good way of staying positive, I've tried to get myself into a daily routine involving lots of exercise, doesn't solve the problem but it makes me feel slightly better about being productive.

#5 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Beats Teeshirts & MaryJane

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:05 AM

[*]Keep active - exercise
[*]Think positively or at least neutrally. If you're mind is saying things like 'I'll never accomplish x [achievement] because I'm so x [negative quality]' you're predicting a negative result and applying a label to yourself that might not neccessarily be true and based on flawed evidence. there's lots of patterns of negative thinking which can be quite subtle and pervasive. PM me if you think you can use some more advice in this area
[*]be self-disciplined when trying to achieve things. maybe make a list of the things you want to get done and give yourself rewards (a movie) on completion of those tasks. just handling your business will give you a boost
[*]Eat well and regularily, don't just eat one crap meal a day and snack on shit food
[*]get 7-8 hours sleep at regular times. If you're going to do any of the above, sleep is a sound basis. your doc can prescibe sleeping pills to help you get to sleep but go easy on them and try to phase them out as soon as possible - they can be addictive
[*]breathing exercises/meditation might or might not help with the anxiety
[*]if you are drinking or smoking weed a lot, cut down or quit as they don't help and only make you more depressed
[*]be appreciative as often as possible, even keep a diary for a week or two where you make a note of 5 things a day you appreciate - could be something small like 'it was sunny today' - the idea is to train your mind to be in an appreciative mode. People at auschwitz managed this so you probably can too
[/list]

looks like sugoi got there first! but he's got a good head on his shoulders.

#6 mplsSOUL

mplsSOUL

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

I'm not sure if this is triggered by a particular event or a general malaise or the wtf am i doing with my life right now?
anyway, asking for advice is the first step so take some pride in that

some advice that worked for me

• Keep active - exercise
  • Think positively or at least neutrally. If you're mind is saying things like 'I'll never accomplish x [achievement] because I'm so x [negative quality]' you're predicting a negative result and applying a label to yourself that might not neccessarily be true and based on flawed evidence. there's lots of patterns of negative thinking which can be quite subtle and pervasive. PM me if you think you can use some more advice in this area
  • be self-disciplined when trying to achieve things. maybe make a list of the things you want to get done and give yourself rewards (a movie) on completion of those tasks. just handling your business will give you a boost
  • Eat well and regularily, don't just eat one crap meal a day and snack on shit food
  • get 7-8 hours sleep at regular times. If you're going to do any of the above, sleep is a sound basis. your doc can prescibe sleeping pills to help you get to sleep but go easy on them and try to phase them out as soon as possible - they can be addictive
  • breathing exercises/meditation might or might not help with the anxiety
  • if you are drinking or smoking weed a lot, cut down or quit as they don't help and only make you more depressed
  • be appreciative as often as possible, even keep a diary for a week or two where you make a note of 5 things a day you appreciate - could be something small like 'it was sunny today' - the idea is to train your mind to be in an appreciative mode. People at auschwitz managed this so you probably can too

thanks sugoi, i just went to the doc today, finally going on meds now, i just gotta stay organized i think that is key. Thanks for looking out makes me feel good B)

#7 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

thanks sugoi, i just went to the doc today, finally going on meds now, i just gotta stay organized i think that is key. Thanks for looking out makes me feel good B)

you're welcome, big balls for going on a forum and tellin how it is

from what i understand, if you were prescibed mood/serotonin stabilizers it'll be 6-8 weeks before they start to really act and do their job? even then there is a possibility that they might not be the right ones for you but there's equally the possibility that they are the right ones that get you back to where you want to be..

Definately get your sleep, food and exercise games tiz-ight and keep your head up...all those things compliment the brain chemistry too

#8 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

man, I'm depressed almost constantly but I'm afraid of medication, so I don't go on it even if it's prescribed or suggested.

#9 bonitabasics12

bonitabasics12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

light up some buddah, "i need a new ***** for this black cloud to follow.....cause while its over me its too dark to see tommorrow..."

#10 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

I stopped smoking and drinking, haha, not an option

#11 JustAnotherDj

JustAnotherDj

noone special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:52 AM

antidepressants are shite. only a last resort IMO. i had to be on em for a while and coming off was really tough. plus they take weeks to start working. Also, i didnt really feel happy when i was on em, just...different. kind of numb. not a good experience for me. I think doctors are often too eager to supply them. I'd definatly try changing your routine too, sugoi had some good ideas.

#12 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:41 AM

I think doctors are often too eager to supply them

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has a much higher success rate but it's more expensive than drugs. Although this man looks like a sex offender, it's a comprehensive guide to feeling better - with an emphasis on using CBT - basically that our thoughts effect out moods and actions and if there are distortions in the thinking stage then the moods/feeling/action become distorted to.

CBT is not some new age mind technology, I'd say the majority of health pros are recognising that it helps quicker and lasts longer with no risk of side effects. The book has tasks in it that are very important for the reader to do - it's not a passive process like meds...

Esp in the States I'd imagine getting a CBT therapist would be easier than here, plus most cases are worked out successfully over 8-12 sessions, i believe...

#13 Audioholik

Audioholik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:20 AM

you think pills the are the soulution?dudes tend to take that shit way to quick these days!its nothin what will help you on the long-term...only take some if you really really feel the need to!

instead do a nice work-out every seccond day..hit the fitnessstudio or go out play some ball!everything is better than takin pills!docor is only lookin at the money he earns

puffin a big one once in a while helps too!not everyday tho..every second weekend maybe!

trust me

#14 JustAnotherDj

JustAnotherDj

noone special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:32 AM

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has a much higher success rate but it's more expensive than drugs. Although this man looks like a sex offender, it's a comprehensive guide to feeling better - with an emphasis on using CBT - basically that our thoughts effect out moods and actions and if there are distortions in the thinking stage then the moods/feeling/action become distorted to.

CBT is not some new age mind technology, I'd say the majority of health pros are recognising that it helps quicker and lasts longer with no risk of side effects. The book has tasks in it that are very important for the reader to do - it's not a passive process like meds...

Esp in the States I'd imagine getting a CBT therapist would be easier than here, plus most cases are worked out successfully over 8-12 sessions, i believe...

yeah, i get this regulaly now. beats the pills thats for sure.

#15 strictlywaxtracks

strictlywaxtracks

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

i dont want to take pills to make feel a certain way all the time.

ill take on my misfortunes and etc...

plus some purphaze

#16 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:08 AM

i dont want to take pills to make feel a certain way all the time.

ill take on my misfortunes and etc...

That's the 'pull yourself together' school of thought regarding mental illness...I feel the same for me, no problems with your opinion

My brother is a schizophrenic and takes clozapine, among other meds. yes he feels 'numb' sometimes but he's also no longer convinced there are people out to get him and can get on with his life - to some extent.

I don't know of many people who have huge successes with the medical therapies alone but sometimes these drugs help maintain a baseline of 'togetherness', esp where the brain chemistry is deficient, so they can get on with their lives where the alternative could be retreating from life altogether

so to MPLS I'd say try them if your docs recommending them, be open-minded as to how effective they'll be and look at the CBT/Positive thinking side too.

#17 mplsSOUL

mplsSOUL

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

yes right now im taking a new look at life, I switching to an arts school next year from old school, life used to just be party party party but now im focusing more on m jazz piano and beats, trying to get a fresh start you know? meet some new friends, i have always been overly anxious ever since i was little and i thought i would give the meds a shot even though they scare the shit of me. Ive looked into them deeply though and i will see how they work, thanks everyone for looking out

#18 Squaredmusic

Squaredmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

I don't think meds are a good idea any circumstance other than a sever mental illness. Doctors have labelled Depression as a mental Illness and have created a multi trillion dollar niche in prescribing pharmaceutical medication to people with this 'mental illness'. Meds change the balance of chemicals in your brain, there is never enough research gone into long term side effects of these things and Im sure there are many that go under the radar.

I think if your depressed you are not active enough. Hobbies, excersize, meditating,healthy eating, social activity,trying to improve your music etc are all beneficial for your state of mind.

my2cents

#19 ceethechef

ceethechef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

man all u gotta do is go..if i fuck all the bullshit.

am i OK? like.for real.fuck money and everything.

if you got a roof over your head and can eat and make music

than your all good.bein rich would be nice and all that .

growin old.gettin a house.who cares? look...seinfield rented and he was old.

but fuck it.it aint needed.

also smoke some kushy wooshy...mother nature cures all.

#20 00Genesis

00Genesis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/00genesis

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:21 AM

Watch the "SECRET" with intention, and follow what sugoi said....

At least that's what works for me. Sometimes I can get anti-social, and turn into a caveman lol

life is what you make it though

peace

#21 J Barnes

J Barnes

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Interests:Records and Drinking

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, well I've been feeling completely lost lately. Feeling depressed and generally pissed off about how I fucked everything up at college last year. I can't see where my life is going and I have trouble sleeping at night. I have days where I can't do anything at all and don't even feel like making the effort to talk to people I know when I bump into them around town.

Today it really got bad. I had a shit day and ended up getting into an argument with my brother. I punched him in the face and decided I had to leave the house and calm down. Put my hand through the window on the way out (gonna cost 60 quid to replace the glass at least). I'm NEVER a violent person usually it's just recently I've been feeling like this and snapped this evening.

The thing is most of the time I'm fine. I've just become depressed now that I'm back doing a third year after I fucked up my A-levels. It's because of all this regret about what I've done and anxiety about what I should do. Makes me feel like I can't be bothered with anything or anyone and just pissed of at myself for being such an idiot to the point where I fall into depression. Also it seems I feel depressed a lot sometimes without even any real cause to it, like as I've said I'm not happy with my situation but for some reason I just feel depressed and struggle to even get up and do anything at the weekends sometimes.

This evening has made me stop and think though. I can see that I should stop over analysing where I am, how I got here and where I'm going and just make the most of life. I mean I live in a nice place, have plenty friends and could get something out of the Music Tech course I'm doing if I try. I need to stop being so negative and when I do get depressed just try to get past it and carry on enjoying life.

#22 staple

staple

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

go talk to a good therapist

#23 J Barnes

J Barnes

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

It's not that serious for me though. 90% of time I'm fine. I just need to sort my life out and stop over reacting, it's not the end of the world. I just got to put stuff in perspective and not let myself get pissed off to the point of almost starting a fight over very little again

#24 staple

staple

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

punching out a window. punching your brother in the face = not good

a good therapist will help you sort things out

thats my advice

#25 J Barnes

J Barnes

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

That's the first time I've ever punched someone. I didn't hit him that hard either. Just snapped and swung at him, I wasn't thinking, it was a big mistake

The window was actually accidental. I pushed way to hard on the wrong part of the door on the way out and my hand just went straight through

#26 Lifted Lorax

Lifted Lorax

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Cheeseburgers, Quality sounds, The Finest Herbs, Bitches with bad booties, Heady Glass, Hoola-Hooping, snowboarding

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

I didn't read what any of the others said, but from experience, i can give you this:

Look for the good, and pursue it
Your true self emerges in that state, so find it, and be happy with it.
nothing has changed, only your mind-state, no drug can help it, you have to just keep on chugging and find something you love.
burn down some good weed, with a positive mindset
pump some iron, make yourself strong and pretty lookin

#27 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, well I've been feeling completely lost lately. Feeling depressed and generally pissed off about how I fucked everything up at college last year. I can't see where my life is going and I have trouble sleeping at night. I have days where I can't do anything at all and don't even feel like making the effort to talk to people I know when I bump into them around town.

AKA the fear...

At the end of the day there are two options in how you perceive things...there is no grey area here...choose to be either positive and negative

It works on so many levels. It can pervade the way people talk, how they carry themselves etc...next time you're on public transport have a look and listen to random people and see what you think...

I've just dropped out of a teacher training Post-Grad, I'm 29, and I've had to move back with my mum. at least I have that option, others don't. and the food is excellent. I've got mates that are engaged, earning 30k+, mortgages and shit but you can only measure yourself against yourself.

mmmh, those days where you get up late and do fuck all, then stay up late..get up late..that shit is a cycle, avoid it - and it makes you feel guilty when mates are asking you what you've been up to and your chat is shite. Get up early. carpe diem

you're clearly interested in music, so I'd put a bit more effort into college. Is it an HNC/D? being a keen bean might get in the way of some fun shit now but planning for the future and having that Career shit tight helps you get on with the fun stuff further down the line

my 2 cents

#28 Coel

Coel

Ludicrous speed...............GO!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Watch the "SECRET" with intention, and follow what sugoi said....

At least that's what works for me. Sometimes I can get anti-social, and turn into a caveman lol

life is what you make it though

peace

Right on, I watched it and it changed my life. It did feel a little vague to me and I felt I needed a little more guidance in how to get to a good feeling place, then I stumbled on the teachings of Abraham. I swear by that stuff man, I was so low earlier this year, it wasn't even funny. Everything about my life was in the toilet. I grossed 2000 a month but after the 1st day I was left with roughly $17 to get me through the next 30days; eating and everything. It was like that for the past 8months. It took time (I guess things have to slow roast on me) but I'm finally seeing my way out. These beatbattles have been one of the few bright spots of my whole week. Abraham has great exercises for getting to a better feeling place based on the emotional scale. If anyone is looking for a way to feel better I suggest you go find some torrents with the "Abraham-Hicks" extension. That shit works man, I swear by it. I've had things to literally come to me, things that I wanted, with zero effort. It works for anything: getting what you want, getting to a better feeling place, ANYTHING. I'm going on a 10day vacation to Africa in 4 weeks and I'm not paying a dime, and that's just the beginning. Anybody and everybody please check out "the Secret" or the "Teachings of Abraham"

#29 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:04 AM

this thread is like :lol:

therapy?? fuck that

it seems some people (not saying the guy who started the topic) are getting a bit confused between depression and just feeling a bit down?

#30 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:48 AM

this thread is like :lol:

therapy?? fuck that

it seems some people (not saying the guy who started the topic) are getting a bit confused between depression and just feeling a bit down?

i was going to say the exact same thing about a while ago but couldnt be botherred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users