STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

i came across this today, it is my new love:

http://www.whateverwewantrecords.com/

here's blog words to describe it:

Thankfully Map Of Africa's self titled debut does amaze, now that Whatever We Want Records has seen fit to release it. Out now on super-limited shiny gatefold LP, it contains enough cosmic energy to bend your mind, inducing drug-assisted mental images without the assistance of drugs, watch in awe as the music spews forth in a geyser from the tip of the Martian pyramids.

"Map Of Africa" sounds like Captain Beefheart produced by Larry Levan, with Can on rhythm section. It conjures up mirages in the deserts and sand dunes of your mind with sexy African women fading in and out of your hazy vision as they wind and grind. After listening to the lyrics, who knew collonisation could be this hot?

and

Still, this swampy psych-rock jam has been in constant rotation around here for the last couple days, and it's only getting better. Maybe it's the jungle humidity and all the mosquitos in our hood lately, but we imagine this track scoring a chopper scene in some ill Vietnam flick. But that might just be us.

Posted Image

#2 Sol ah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

That is some sick shit.

#3 Sol ah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

i see their myspace, but no music on it...you know any history on them?

#4 .SMALLNUMBERS.

Mustached Assailant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • Interests:Anything design related.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

NIIIIICE. (:

#5 brentabousko

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:55 AM

what's the myspace link?

here's an interview with 1 of the guys. i think one of them is in rub-n-tug

http://electronicamente.blogspot.com/2006/...nt-records.html

#6 Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Good Shit...

I Jacked This From a Different Board

"Fuck You Homeboy"

Thought I'd try my hand at one of these...

For the uninitiated, Map Of Africa is DJ Harvey and Thomas Bullock (Rub 'N' Tug, A.R.E. Weapons). They've released only three 12"s in the last two years (2005's 'Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys' and 'The Sound Of The Fens' and 2006's 'Freaky Ways'), but they've steadily accrued a large amount of hype in certain circles, mainly based on the fact that Harvey is widely-regarded as one of the best DJs out there. Bullock's star is on the rise too, in beardo-disco circles, so every Map Of Africa release was greeted with fanboyish adoration.

Musically, MOA's album is a stew of sex-funk, swamp rock and psychedelia with its tongue firmly in its cheek, but with an obvious love for the music they pay homage to. It's just a really fun record and one that deserves a wider audience than it will probably get (it's only out on limited vinyl for now, with a CD release to come later in the year), thus the existence of this hype thread.

Anyway, just download it, you won't regret it...

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=DZT2S9TK

Of Course Change the xx to tt in the Link

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users