• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Not Inertia

Not Inertia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I had no clue that this pop song I've been hearing everywhere I go for months was Aloe Blacc from Emanon, Stones Throw (with Avicii, who I didn't know). "Wake me Up". This is a huge big hit.

Pretty interesting back story on him and stones throw. I didn't even know he was off the label. http://blogs.laweekl...up_singer_a.php

When did you make the jump from Stones Throw to Interscope?

I started with Stones Throw in 2005 and released a single and an album in 2006. Between 2006 and 2009, I was making a lot of music, turning it in and trying to release my next album, because I signed with them for only two albums. By 2009, the owner of the label [Peanut Butter Wolf] wasn't really interested in anything I was turning in. He thought it sounded too commercial. I guess in a way the label likes things a little bit gritty and underground, and it didn't sound underground enough. At that time I was recording at professional studios.

The manager of the label told the owner of the studio, "Let me take over Aloe's project so we can get something that the label wants." They sent me to New York to work with a soul music production team, and I ended up recording Good Things with them. When I brought it back to L.A. to play it for the owner of the label, he said, "No, I don't want to release this music."

That's a bummer.

I thought, "Well it's been three years since I released anything. I'm an underground independent artist. This is how I pay rent, and until I release something, I'm going to be basically struggling." It was just really a push and pull between Peanut Butter Wolf and the manager of the label at that time, Eothen Alapatt, or Egon, who has since left Stones Throw. I don't know if they've repaired their relationship, but it was a lot of "I don't like your idea, so I'm not going to let it happen," and I was caught in the middle of it. I had to have a heart to heart with Wolf and say, "This is my livelihood and I've got to release music, and if you won't release anything, at least let me off the label or something."

Then what happened?

Eventually he relented and released Good Things and "I Need a Dollar" [in 2010]. Luckily, we go the attention of the music supervisor of How to Make it in America who wanted to use "I Need a Dollar" for the theme of the TV show. That gave some traction and movement to the album. Stones Throw never asked to option another album from me.

In 2011, I ended up siging with Interscope. In the years prior, Stones Throw never approached me and said, "We had success with Good Things, would you like to come and record another album with us?" which would have been great. I probably would have, but I think they waited a little too long.

How has that been for you?

Really beneficial. They've been wonderful, still letting me have creative freedom, and they have the infrastructure to make it work really well in the U.S. I think Stones Throw, as an indie label, didn't really have that kind of infrastructure.

• GC90 likes this

#2 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

BEEF

#3 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

i bought good things cause of femme fatale, and ended up hating it, it's just boring as hell.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#4 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

That was some great insight! Especially regarding the PBW/Egon split. I have always wondered what happened between those two.
  • LuvBunz and GC90 like this

#5 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:butts + baby oil

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

That was some great insight! Especially regarding the PBW/Egon split. I have always wondered what happened between those two.

Have these 2 meet over a freshly split pair of cheeks... Split = solved.
The world could be me a much more peaceful place, if more curvacious female ass was involved.
  • ynqhead, SunnyMeadowz and gEEchieDan like this

#6 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Too true.

#7 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

Good Things was a nice album. Personally I wouldn't listen to it lonely, it's more music for your lady, I guess.

Anyway, PBW doesn't like to earn money or is he afraid to be less underground by releasing commercial successful music? This sounds weird to me.

#8 GOONIE

GOONIE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

I could've swore it was Hootie who did the track with Avicii.

#9 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Same here, I knew there had to be something like this happening. I'm wondering if there's another story as to why Madlib/Oh No/MED/etc etc are all moving in their own directions as well. Maybe PBW doesn't like releasing so much music these days lol.

Before taking Aloe's word for it completely with the story though I'd love to hear PBW's take on it. After putting out Mayer's album I don't see why he'd have any issue putting out Aloe's.

#10 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

Same here, I knew there had to be something like this happening. I'm wondering if there's another story as to why Madlib/Oh No/MED/etc etc are all moving in their own directions as well. Maybe PBW doesn't like releasing so much music these days lol.

Before taking Aloe's word for it completely with the story though I'd love to hear PBW's take on it. After putting out Mayer's album I don't see why he'd have any issue putting out Aloe's.

Because Mayer is white and Aloe isn't. Remember Dudley's infamous rant, calling PBW a racist? lmao
  • SwampThing, GC90 and gEEchieDan like this

#11 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

If the story is true, I do give credit to PBW/ST sticking to their opinion on his stuff and not like doing a complete 180 after Aloe blew up and could make the label even more money with a second record.

#12 MaddMannMatt

MaddMannMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

He was on the show The Voice last night...haha

I miss Emanon.

[ youtube ] [ /youtube ]

#13 Freshman_Woes

Freshman_Woes

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop. Beer. In that order.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

I miss Emanon.

Me too! They have a new album coming out in '14 though. Can't wait.

#14 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

This happened

#15 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Egon got the best end of the deal. He travels the world with Madlib finding obscure and beautiful music. Still love ST obviously but I'd kill for Egon's gig.

#16 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

haha egon's wine-connoisseurin', DJin', radio-showin' crate-diggin' across the globe bumping all the unreleased madlib. PBW is chillin' too though. VJin', hat-connoisseurin', smokin' blunts with Snoop and Dâm... bumping all the unreleased J. Rocc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users