I didn't enjoy "There Will Be Blood"...

7 replies to this topic

#1 BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

I didn't enjoy the movie. I can't pretend I did. I enjoy PTA's other films. I don't think any of his films are incredible; although I used to think Magnolia was amazing when I was in highschool.

I understood that, like all great movies, there is a huge amount of metaphor to play with and digest and discuss in There Will Be Blood. But, my question is why? Why delve into the metaphor and devices of the film, when I can't stand watching the film?

I hated the score (although, I'm sure people could make the argument that it was effective), I hated the darkness of the film (although, I'm sure it's pretty easily explained...or rather, it was neccessary to convey whatever the fuck PTA was trying to get across). I hated the slowness of the film. I hated the over-acting of the film. I hated the length of the film. I hated the colors of the film. I personaly hated the fuck out of this film.

I know that I'm virtually alone in this opinion on this board.

So I ask you all, why did you guys enjoy this film?

Oh and I think it's only fair that I let the board know that, despite the fact that I thought there was some pretty lame over acting in the film, I did think that the two dude's doing the overacting (overall) did a pretty good job....Daniel Day Lewis and the kid who played the false prophet.

Actually, I loved the kid who played the false prophet (Eli) because he did such a great job in making me hate the shit out of the character.

#2 DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:19 AM

http://www.stonesthrow.com/messageboard/in...?showtopic=7026

#3 evolelor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'm PTA fan but I wasn't totally moved by it. I wasn't impressed with DDL's performance. When I hear people talk about how PTA has matured as a filmmaker I scratch my head. PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE is maturity. You watch it and wonder how he'll progress after it. It is so cinematic.

The comparisons to Kubrick don't make much sense to me either. I understand that PTA has a hell of a lot of reverence for actors, but this film just feels like a vehicle for DDL. When you watch a Kubrick film you know you're watching a movie by a director with a distinctive style: the actors are his cattle. TWBB looks like it could have been directed by any other talented director without a particular style.

People have called the film "controlled" and "tense" for long stretches of time. The word "Ominous" has showed up in many reviews. But there's nothing in it that rivals the fire-cracker scene in BOOGIE NIGHTS.

TWBB is easily PTA's coldest film. Maybe every other film by the director except for HARD EIGHT has its heart on its sleeve. There's a real passionate energy to them. For the first time the director is telling a story about one character who isn't especially likable. Now, the fact that the character is unlikable isn't the point. The problem I have with Daniel Plainview is that I don't find him interesting. I don't care about how greedy he is. I don't find his misanthropy interesting or powerful.

I could go on but...

#4 hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

am i the only one who thought he had the most badass voice in i dont know how long? daniel plainview could get mad tail if he said the right things

p.s. i loved the soundtrack but that might have something to do with me being such a big radiohead fan

#5 evolelor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

View Posthot_cocoa, on Feb 12 2008, 11:06 PM, said:

p.s. i loved the soundtrack but that might have something to do with me being such a big radiohead fan

I liked the music playing over the intro. There's a real THX quality to it. Like when the camera would turn to the mountains and the music would swell. It's the only moment in the movie that put a big smile on my face.

#6 scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:08 AM

I keep hearing from ppl close to me that the movie is too long and unrewarding. ...but they are the same ppl who hated the ending to N.C.F.O.M.

#7 Zach Shorts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

I loved No Country for Old Men - it's my favorite film of the year, and I'm not averse to slow pacing - Terrence Malick (Days of Heaven, Badlands, The New World, The Thin Red Line) is one of my favorite directors, but TWBB didn't do it for me. Daniel Day Lewis was incredible, and all the technical aspects of the movie were very well done, but I just didn't care all that much about the characters. On top of that, the last act seemed like PTA couldn't figure out how to end it, and Paul Dano's acting (as the Sunday brothers) was distractingly over-the-top. He seemed to be "acting" the whole time (and I know, the character was, in a sense, acting, but this just felt like what it was - an actor who got the part only a week before shooting, with no time to really create the character). Overall, I though it was a very good film, but not great, and probably not one I'll go back to.

#8 The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

yeah i normally like paul dano but i don't think he was the best choice for the role. almost everything else about the movie i liked. i agree the ending wasn't amazing, but pretty good. cinematography, costumes and set design were awesome. i liked the music a lot actually--it was perfect. daniel day lewis was great and will probably win the oscar. a good story about greed and responsibility...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users