Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

What are your seeeeecrets beatmakers? Let's float some mastering knowledge through here, what do y'all like?? Multi band? Mid side? Saturators? Wideners? Anybody on those expanders? Just on some eq single compressor single limiter type? I'm curious about alot of y'all prominent beatmakers on here

#2 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

compressors on everything m8

#3 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

I personally don't believe in D.I.Y. Mastering. Like mixing, mastering is an art that should be performed by a professional mastering engineer. I grew up in New York working with guys like Don One, Herb "Pump" Powers, Carlton Blatt, and Howie Weinberg, but since I've moved to the West Coast I now only work with Barry Corliss who was introduced to me by Jake One. Barry also masters for Vitamin D. So if you ever listened to Jake's or Vitamin's or my records then you know he does a great job.

#4 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

well what's he do?

#5 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

He's mastered just about everybody from Seattle.
  • scabs and DJ Pete Marriott like this

#6 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

This is a video of one of the mastering sessions at Barry Corliss studio for one of my singles that got released in 2012.

• scabs likes this

#7 Beatronome

Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

• mplsSOUL likes this

#8 Beatsoup

Beatsoup

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

^wtf I'm gonna have to watch this at some point it's so cheese lol.

Mastering is a bit of a nightmare I find, best to go with pros IF you can afford it. It's pretty expensive, I mastered my own album recently it took a lot of patients and second/ triple guessing. I used as many speakers and headphones as I could get my hands on and tried to get it to sound good on them all. I didn't limit or compress too much as the it's soul/jazz stuff, I found getting an even volume through out the album was tricky tho.

I did take it to a mastering facility just to run everything onto their tape machine which was affordable and gave the tracks a bit of smoothed out cohesiveness in sound. Overall I might have mixed it too dark, but that's my preference I guess.

hear it http://henkel.bandcamp.com

#9 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Mid Side limiting, sidechain the side to the mid, waves or uad tape to tie it together, Also pays off to scan the track with an eq to get rid of those bitch frequencies that tire the ear out. I know everyone has their own quirks ideas about mastering, I can see the benefit of some pro doing it, but they're not going to hear how it is in my head. Why can't mastering be seen as the last creative step in making your own beat making, More knowledge about sound how it works can be mind blowing, theres loads of youtube videos showing frequencies being played and rice arranging itself into different geometrical patterns, works with water also, we are made of a lot of water, worth looking into and might change your perception of sound, especially the next time you hear a mainstream tune drop, see how it makes you feel.

#10 jondis

jondis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

word yo mastering is tricky. In a perfect world mastering would be up to the engineers, but im no rich man and when i do have extra money im trying to invest that into something fun ( i.e. SYNTHESIZERS!!! )
What i've been doing lately tho is trying to step away from complicated chains for every element, now is quite the opposite. Im pretty much not doing anything except having a limiter at the end of my chain. But b4 the limiter i have alloy 2 and ozone 4 , alloy i use the dynamics in there and normally gate the high end so there isnt any hiss, also ill widen the high end. After i get the high end where i want it ill de-ess to remove them ouch frequencies then that goes to my limiter that ill probly have a lil bit of gain on .. boom
no compressors

#11 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

i find that mastering is less difficult if you spend a lot of time making the mix perfect and loud.

> lite multiband compression
>harmonic exciter
>stereo widening on the high mids and highs
>EQ to taste
>limiter

mastering is more about getting a consistent sound out of your mixes and having a cohesive album sound. Most mastering techniques have to do more with industry standards than they do with what sounds good. Ideally there would be no "mastering" and people would have a decent hifi to listen to mixes on. Like Dilla says "turn it up"
  • mplsSOUL likes this

#12 Conzo

Conzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/inkliing

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Mastering can make a huge difference to a track but you gotta pay if u want a good service....not that I ever have but I know it can be pretty expensive.

#13 jbarkley

jbarkley

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

Mastering can make a huge difference to a track if done by a professional. The DIY result highly depends on your skills and available equipment. I always prefer a good mastering studio instead of doing it myself. I use Roessler Mastering Studio

#14 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Vietnamese-American Recording Artist Since 1995
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/michaelnhat

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Since 2002 I have paid 29 bucks an hour to get things mastered in Culver City, Ca at www.realtimecopies.com They do not have the service listed anymore, but if you email them about it they still do it.

#15 Professor Coneyack

Professor Coneyack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Quality Music, Fine Art, Hand Crafted Beer, Audio Engineering, Lakers, Life
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/selectfewmusic805

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

Usually Shadow HIlls from UAD..also some L2 and 2007

I master Clients tracks for 40$ flat rate

PM if you need your tracks to sound LOUDer yet Dynamic

#16 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Usually Shadow HIlls from UAD..also some L2 and 2007

I master Clients tracks for 40$ flat rate

PM if you need your tracks to sound LOUDer yet Dynamic

$40 a track? what if its like 25 tracks how much would it be? and what all would an artist need to send? just an mp3 of the track? ive never understood the process

#17 NewActs

NewActs

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Mastering is one of the things where it pays to get it done professionally. But yeah not everyone has the resources or the means and are only doing music as a hobby, so of course DIY stuff is going to happen.

Most of it isn't really more than some subtle stuff

EQ boost/cuts with a really wide Q.
A little MB Compression.

Actually its usually not much more than that unless I want to get into the ear candy stuff like Harmonic Exciters, or trying to give the track more color with some Nebula3 processing.

#18 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

$40 a track? what if its like 25 tracks how much would it be? and what all would an artist need to send? just an mp3 of the track? ive never understood the process

Usually you need to give up a 24bit Wav for mastering, you give up an MP3, then you have lowered the sound quality before the job has been started. I suppose if whoever was doing it used hardware it would cost more.

#19 deLarge

deLarge

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/delargeone

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

I use a stereo widener first in my chain, then a compressor plug in called thrillseeker LA, I use the opto setting because they are always best for mastering, I then apply a bit of reverb to make it all a little more coherent, then maybe an exciter and then a limiter with tape saturation which could be handy if you dont sample off vinyl but makes your mix sound awful if you do. This isn't obviously a pro set up, it's all free plug ins but when it's a beat to be released properly I use all the outboard mastering gear at my college studio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users