#1 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

where and when were you - when you first heard stones throw material???

ummm for me i'd say 98 or 99 when lootpack dropped...

i remember stretch armstrong and cucumber slice (a.k.a bobbito garcia) would play tracks back to back with defari and the licks on 89.9 thursday nights from 1 til 5 am... how did they do that?????

or was it even earlier... im too lazy to look for release dates... when lootpack dropped, thats when i discovered throw....

i was too embarrasessed to go to stores and sing the tunes to the djs so it wasn't until ynq's angle's or wolfs 45 collection dropped that i started putting the pieces together....

all my friends were still in their techknow phase so they were useless for hip hop info...

#2 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

I was and still am a Likwid Junky

Lootpack guest appreared on' 21 and Over ' so I figured they were just affiliates. Then the Soundpieces came out and I bought the album because I remembered the name (that's how I use to buy music from refferals from other artists still do....LMAO) I also think Friday Night Flavors spun "Whenimonthemic" one night and explained twho they were

I was confused for a minute because Lootpack was on Stonesthrow not Loud/RCA whatever

I remember being like WTF? is a Stonesthrow......I also WTF the name Peanut Butter Wolf first time I heard it

Then I typed in the site and it was just a page about the label a year or so later they had a board been here since............

#3 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

haaaaa..

p.b.w

adlib ---- madlib ------ i was like WTF???? obvious, but still...

#4 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

The first time I heard of Stones Throw was when I bought the "Run the Line" single. The Q-Bert cuts are ill.

I lived in Santa Cruz and I heard of these cats from San Jose (over the hill) named Peanut Butter Wolf & Charizma(RIP) from my boy Brew (Topski). Brew was a street kid/mc/graf writer I took in for a while. He said he freestyled with them once or something. I was like whatever, but it stood out in my mind when I saw the PBW on the Bomb DJ compilation. That's about it.

I too am a L.J. so I knew the Lootpack and they seemed to fit the mold but I had the Rasco record before that. I was surprised that Encore came out an Asphadel or wadeva that labels called.

As long as they keep putting out that boom bap / inner steller shit, I'll be hip.

#5 GoosDiff

GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC!

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

i would wake up at like 4:45 am on sundays to go to work and right when adultswim was ending, they'd put the beats they had used for the blacks slides and it went something like this:

Madlib
Yesterday's New Quintet
Psyche Origami
Five Deez

and the beats were HOT! so i researched all of them and only came up with Madlib. Psyche Origami didn't pop up. and neither did Five Deez. then i found YNQ was him and it kinda confused me. around the same time, Madvillain dropped and i saw the cover of the album in ALL these magazines: GQ, Details, Esquire, all the non-hip hop magazines. and i had heard about jaylib, cuz i knew dilla but not madlib. i remember going to the virgin music store in times square and having it in my hands (i knew about it from bling47.com) and i had that feeling like picking it up but, I JUST PUT IT BACK DOWN. little did i know, i was in for something monumental... oh and my first ST/Madlib cd i got was the blue note. after that i was hookt

it's funny cuz when i would listen to welcome 2 detroit in '01, '02, i'd hear all these names: "peanut butter wolf!"
"lootpack". when i put the pieces together.... :( :) :D

#6 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:00 AM

I was and still am a Likwid Junky

Lootpack guest appreared on' 21 and Over '

yep...
same for me.

the liks are dope man....
gotta support ohio....(at least 2 of them)
even though they don't
live here anymore.

#7 rane

rane

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

The first track i heard was Lootpack's "Long Awaited (feat. Dilated Peoples)", a track that i just happened to download because i was a fan of dilated peoples at that time. I thought it was dope. This happened in 2001, if i remember correctly..

..That or Tha Alkaholiks' "Killin It" which had a madlib beat.

#8 Operatore

Operatore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:55 AM

For me it was Charizma's "My World Premiere". I grew up in Milpitas and used to see Charizma all the time, i knew dude rapped but didn't think he would actually drop anything. Then one day my older cousin's friend had the 12" and i was like "thats the dude i see at Golf Land", then "Time waits for no man" dropped and i knew that this label was special.

#9 seasons change

seasons change

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

It was 99 or 00 in a bookstore. I walked in and my homey behind the reg said, "Listen to this!"

Thats the first time I heard of Lord Quas and his buddy pal, Madlib. After that,a year or two later, I heard the Villain Style EP and connected the dots.

#10 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

The first I heard was 2002 and my friend from Germany showed me Quas and Lootpack. Needless to say I went out copped both albums and I haven't been the same since.

#11 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

I Meet Dan And Ding Dumile Back In Like 91 On Long Island

They Were Working on Black Bastards and I Would Chill At the Studio Sometimes
I Was Always Down

Copped Doom Shit Since The Beggining
I've Got Mr. Hood and Black Bastards On Fucking 8 Track
And Cassettes

I've Always Followed Dans Work
He Drops Ill Wreck

Lead Me Here Too
So
I Can't Complain

#12 GripFast

GripFast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

21 & Over was the first time hearing madlib, although I didn't really recognize madlib/st artists until the DJ Rhettmatic/Beat Junkies double cd mix with Lootpack's The Anthem on it - 98 I think. That double disc and Soundbombing II were my soundtrack to summer 98 and turned me onto a lot of good shit.

/snowball effect\

#13 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

i first heard quasimoto on the "underground airplay" cd mixed by spinbad. and i thought does this guy really sound like this, then i loved the beat and lyrics. looked up quasi and the rest is history.

but my i first hear about pbw from a friend who had the return of the dj vol. ? and said he really wanted to hear more of him, and i thought who or what is peanut butter wolf. i have to admit now, thinking of it that is the best dj name ever wolf!

#14 dub_g

dub_g

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

i was down and out..

stones throw saved my life

my apt got broken into on christmas morning 2am 2001
thats what i get
my roomie catered to junkies

decks got stolen

among other things

i was more into some deep house and brazilian / jazz/ downtempo type shit

then a few days later at my cousins house

going thru kazaa..

if you like this, check this kinda thing..

quas. lootpack. pbw

#15 NineSSix

NineSSix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

21 & Over was the first time hearing madlib, although I didn't really recognize madlib/st artists until the DJ Rhettmatic/Beat Junkies double cd mix with Lootpack's The Anthem on it - 98 I think. That double disc and Soundbombing II were my soundtrack to summer 98 and turned me onto a lot of good shit.

/snowball effect\

Yea 21 & Over for me also (Madlib), that and DJ Babu's Duck Season, it had Microphone Mathematics & I was like what the @#$% is this!

#16 Gforce

Gforce

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

Eh it was back in 03 or '4 when I was playing tony hawks underground at home and at that time I really did think all rap was plain crap and always felt there had to be something beneath all the bullshit but had no idea where to start. I liked that game because that soundtrack was so diverse. I really discovered discovered good music when i playd that game( I mean it, mfdoom,jlive, nas,p.ut.s,cann ox,mr. lif,quasimoto....perfect selections). Also you could include [as] because of those little bumps they do before and after shows commercial breaks and then I had no idea Yesterdays New Quintet was madlib but I did know I loved the way "they" sounded. After that I ran across ughh abd bow I'm here :D

#17 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:07 AM

I was in a record store with a few friends. One of them played the Kazi 12" for me and I was amazed. This was the kind of music I would hear in my head but never hear on record. It was something else. Since that day I've been a Madlib fan. I guess had to be in '00 or maybe '01. The following years I collected everything that Madlib released and in those days that was pretty much all the music ST put out. I'm glad I did 'cus back then the 12 inches were still available so I pretty much got everything between 98-03. In my opinion some of the best music Madlib done came out in between those years.

#18 TroN

TroN

STMB's Digital Dirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop, DRums, Art, Xbox 360

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

jaylib- champion sound

....been in love ever since

#19 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

hmm...

it was probably when i read a review (i think in spin) of rasco's time waits for no man. geez that was probably 99 i think.

#20 grizz grizzlebee

grizz grizzlebee

Crusty Rockist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

the unseen, classic..

#21 Hennystraight

Hennystraight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

Psyche Move 12" in 95-96'. Heard stuff from them on 21 & Over. But actually winning me over as a fan, was the beats Madlib looped between the songs on that 12".

Alkaholks & Lootpack were both dope. Was like "Finally, some cats that can actually rap, smoke weed,& drink. & they're not even gang bangin?!!" Time when Ice Cube & Westside Connection ran LA radio...

#22 Charlie

Charlie

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

I heard Rasco's Hold Up in a video my friend showed me, got My Vinyl Weighs a Ton, then Time Waits for No Man... then I think the 10 year, Big Shots... I dunno. Last year sometime, I can't believe I didn't get into it sooner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users