I usually try and keep it to a top three but this week in particular I felt like there were so many incredibly slept on beats. Its very apparent that some cats got completely overlooked. so my goal with this week is to acknowledge the cats that I felt were hella slept on, as well as vote for an obvious winner.
- Crazy drums!
IV the Polymath
- Really great guy and, really great music. Glad this cat joined this weeks battle. dope flip
- Dope work with the cuts on the track, we're cut from the same cloth. *gr grgregre gre great things*
- REALLY dope, I think it was the most rap-ready track of the week. sick skits too. had Viktor Vaughn written all over it. Id love to hear some dope bars on that track, please continue to build on it!
- What can I say? this cat goes in on the keys every week. Super fuckin trill mothafuckin based ass beat. that shit that makes you just want to swear in front of children and throw ya hands up and not give a fuck. Fantastic mix too
- That second part with the Co Flow drop is BANGER. please please please make that into a full song???????
- zzzzzzz. this beat is slept on!the arrangement could use some work, but overall this was a really interesting flip and i was hella impressed by whatever you smoked to get your ears to catch that loop. Definitely could be a soundtrack joint for the intro to some cool weird indie film
- How this track only broke 100 plays by like 11:30am Thursday night is truly beyond me. Great vibe on this beat. Diggin it like woah. The conversations taking place under the beat only came to me after like, the 15th listen. I'd love to hear bars over that track as well, please keep it buildin!
- I always mention and/or vote for DJ Sapien
because this dude is a true funkstronaut. This brotha brings life to every sample! a One-of-a-kind trademark sound that I have now associated with DJ Sapien; drums and basslines are always inspiring and the vox/scratching are always well thought. dude really brought the deep vibes out of this record and was able to tame the difficult ambient sounds that would have otherwise busted the beat
BEN BADA BOOM
- really bang up job man. The vocoder nearly put me over the edge, the arrangement on this beat absolutely rocks. Just constant progression. The beat is the sound of a dude getting incredibly open in the lab, that zone mane! Sick drums, merked those vibes and the keys at the end were a joy
okay.....my three favorite beats were just straight zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'd upon! wake up people! these three tracks got under 100 plays, thats not whats up!!!
- raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. If I didnt know better I'd think this was 1994 in Chicago. This is a journey beat man, I tell you. Its a beat that isnt just for listening, its for transportation. this shit takes you to that place you need to go. this beat hit me on an emotional level and that is the way I prefer to listen to music
JONES FOSHO - I cant believe this beat. the drums are masterful. you killed it. The DnB transition was just bottom line raw, the drum mix is so rich and the elements in the arrangement are just, butter fucking smooth. If you dont mind, it would make me so happy to play this song in my sets, because the arrangement was made for a blending. Soon as I heard this beat I was posting it everywhere. brilliant work mane. Did you sequence the drum and bass sounds or do you have breaks on deck????? because if you sequenced those parts man....i'll have to just fold my napkin, say "check please" and leave the fucking table with my tail tucked
.....but......my vote goes to
GUTS THE CUTTER
The reason why I wasn't sure about voting this beat is because i honestly cant tell if the sample flipped is the one that we were given to use. This flip is crazy as FUCK. im talkin Rage Against the Machine crazy as fuck. I gotta know how you flipped that beat. This instrumental had me goin back to listen to every track on your soundcloud mane. I wish you did more battles! pretty modest when it comes to the raps too man, i know you're your biggest critic but i was a fan of the energy you brought. the percs and stereo delay mix on the snare is really awesome. This is a true beat flip. And i dont mean to come off as bogus or skeptical of your track, but i just really cant wrap my head around the way you did this instrumental. truly jawn in every sense.
sorry i write such long responses, but I read every one of you guys and im always looking for, and wishing, that folks gave specific reasons for why they chose the way they chose. Alot do, but there are more one stop answers than in depth ones. I know time is a constraint tho (i took a long ass time to write this lol, but i always reserve time for STBB in the week). I haven't ever won a battle obviously and but ive gotten a few mentions and i always appreciate when cats tell me why they liked the way i chose, (or didnt, like in my ugly ass floetry remix, haha)
peace to Dibiase