14 replies to this topic

#1 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:making music,crate diggin,traveling

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

i wanna know what kind of keyboards dilla and madlib use. whats the best kind of keyboard for hip hop production. and what keyboard has the best bass sounds. im looking to expand the gear situation and i don't have a keyboard. any experts in here? what works for you?

#2 zomg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:38 PM

Goto your local music gear store, preferably one that has some keyboards set up so that you can test them out. Keep in mind that synthesizers can be tweaked to suit whatever.

Alot of people have the Nord Lead, hmm.... I know Madlib has one (not sure which one though)... and a microKorg. Those two are probably gonna be the most accessible to you in terms of retail stores. If you wanna go vintage, be prepared to deal with a bunch of crap if they need repairs..(haven't dealt with that firsthand, but this is what alot of people are warned of in general). A good site to check out synths... www.vintagesynth.com

asr-10... d'angelo used that on the majority of his first record. Warm sounding. I hear they heat up pretty fast though. The new Korg Micro-x sounds good too, nice drums, nice bass..and nice ethereal pad sounds. Nice key action as well. It has the same sound engine as the Triton...but i personally like how this sounds over the Triton..

hope that helps

#3 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

View Postzomg, on Jan 20 2007, 06:38 PM, said:

Goto your local music gear store, preferably one that has some keyboards set up so that you can test them out. Keep in mind that synthesizers can be tweaked to suit whatever.

Alot of people have the Nord Lead, hmm.... I know Madlib has one (not sure which one though)... and a microKorg. Those two are probably gonna be the most accessible to you in terms of retail stores. If you wanna go vintage, be prepared to deal with a bunch of crap if they need repairs..(haven't dealt with that firsthand, but this is what alot of people are warned of in general). A good site to check out synths... www.vintagesynth.com

asr-10... d'angelo used that on the majority of his first record. Warm sounding. I hear they heat up pretty fast though. The new Korg Micro-x sounds good too, nice drums, nice bass..and nice ethereal pad sounds. Nice key action as well. It has the same sound engine as the Triton...but i personally like how this sounds over the Triton..

hope that helps

thanks man thats some good info, i think im just gonna check some music stores and check em out myself like you suggested.

#4 J.D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Madlib uses a shizeload of vintage keys and synths. All Moogs, Crumars, Fender Rhodes, Wurlis...all that stuff. Check the Beatkonducta booklet and youll get a good idea of Madlibs collection...

Dilla mainly used moog voyager, nord lead, the octave cat and a relatively cheap synth called the microkorg. Youll see a microkorg in alot of photos of producers cribs or live sets as has some crazy sounds and really thick bass and even a vocoder! Dilla, Madlib, Magnif, Neptunes and even artists like Beck and the scissor sisters swear by the microkorg....

Although, Korg are releasing a new version of it, entitled the R3. which can be checked out here: http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?a_p...p;category_id=1

It seems to have some vast improvements over the microkorg and has much stronger full length keys, as the keys were a big problem on the microkorg. Anyways, check it out...

#5 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

thanks for the link J.D that microkorg looks dope. i need to look into this more.

#6 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

that moog voyager looks so fucking ill! but its mad expensive:-( maybe one day. for now i think im going with the microkorg. what does lib use on the ynq joints?

#7 zomg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

lib used that vintage shit on the ynq. The most notable one would be the Fender Rhodes. Like he said, he was lookin on the back of his records and readin what these people were usin back in the day and he wanted to see if he could recreate it.

I'm not 100% on everything he used, but if you got old records, some of them state which band members played what and etc.

#8 Vynal Duss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

Really you could check out some VSTi's, they have some real nice ones that simulate the vintage stuff if you wanted to go that route, maybe save some bucks to, Peace, Duss.

#9 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

can you recommend some good VSTi's and tell me where i can get em, im not to familiar with them

#10 J.D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

If your looking for some quality vst's, i would definately recommend the arturia series. Especially the "Moog Modular V" and the "Prophet V".
Although, to use vst's reliably, you still need a good laptop, interface/soundcard, software and midi controller, which can add up to nearly as much as a moog voyager alone! never mind the time it takes to setup all this different equipment....

Although, if you already got a computer/laptop setup, then i would recommend vst's...

#11 LoopSkywalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:bars on mars.

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:47 PM

ahhhhh screw midi. bunch a fuckin binary ass numbers floating around. no ture sound being produced
get you a moog.

plug.
play.
wigg with fuck out.

#12 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

im pretty sure i don't have enough money for a moog. unless its in the range of $500.

#13 J.D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

I own the moog opus 3, and purchased it for $400 from ebay. Its second hand and from late 70's/early 80's. The sound is indescribable and its probably one of my favourite purchases ever...

#14 Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

i went with the microkorg. this thing is really dope. thanks j.d im glad you recommended it. the sounds are crazy and the vocoder is pretty cool. i cant wait to put some new beats together.

#15 KonceptG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

All you need: NI Pro53, Novation BassStation and V-Station VST's, and Lounge Lizard 1/2/3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users