Jump to content


Youtube Sampling

Sampling off youtube

10 replies to this topic

#1 mores

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Soundcloud:/moresmusic

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

Contemplated posting this in the Sample Rules thread but I thought it deserved it's own separate discussion.

For a while now I've been contemplating sampling off youtube. Not just uploads of vinyl or anything, I already do that. Youtube also has alot of people demonstrating there skills on several instruments, for instance this kalimba video:


Along with a lot of drumming videos I've always really liked the dirty feel of these videos because they are usually recorded with a DIY flipcam or something..
I've been wanting to sample some of these videos but never really took the step. I've even contemplated contacting the uploader to ask for permission but it just seems weird..

So my STMB peoples, what's your take on this?

#2 ODK

    STMB Official

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Within The Multiverse
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/obi-dan-kenobi

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

View Postmores, on 14 November 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

Contemplated posting this in the Sample Rules thread but I thought it deserved it's own separate discussion.

For a while now I've been contemplating sampling off youtube. Not just uploads of vinyl or anything, I already do that. Youtube also has alot of people demonstrating there skills on several instruments, for instance this kalimba video:


Along with a lot of drumming videos I've always really liked the dirty feel of these videos because they are usually recorded with a DIY flipcam or something..
I've been wanting to sample some of these videos but never really took the step. I've even contemplated contacting the uploader to ask for permission but it just seems weird..

So my STMB peoples, what's your take on this?
Go and research, FLAC, WAV, MP3, and sound being ruined the moment it gets posted on you tube, other than that contact the guy, he may have better recordings, you don't know till you ask.

#3 mores

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Soundcloud:/moresmusic

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostODK, on 14 November 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Go and research, FLAC, WAV, MP3, and sound being ruined the moment it gets posted on you tube, other than that contact the guy, he may have better recordings, you don't know till you ask.
It may sound hypocritical as someone who primarily makes sampled beats but it's more of a stealing issue that's bothering me..

#4 Grifty-Rodriguez

    STMB Tapatío

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gilroy, California
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

i kinda just sample whoever the fuck i want and never feel bad for shit

#5 James Frank.

    Rookie of the Year

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DENVER
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

^ hear hear. some of my favorite beats i've made have been sampled off of low quality YouTube vids i converted to low quality mp3's.

#6 DJ Pete Marriott

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

You know what? Stop concerning yourself with whatever anyone else think and sample whatever the fuck you want.

#7 D'MosPhree

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

I sample off of youtube whenever I hear something I just gotta flip, I also sample off of porn streaming sites.

#8 mores

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Soundcloud:/moresmusic

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostDJ Pete Marriott, on 14 November 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

You know what? Stop concerning yourself with whatever anyone else think and sample whatever the fuck you want.
What I needed.
/thread

#9 James Frank.

    Rookie of the Year

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DENVER
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostD'MosPhree, on 14 November 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

I sample off of youtube whenever I hear something I just gotta flip, I also sample off of porn streaming sites.

haha, i do that sometimes too.

#10 Tastik BEATS

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postmores, on 14 November 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

It may sound hypocritical as someone who primarily makes sampled beats but it's more of a stealing issue that's bothering me..

no one will care dude

#11 Dirty Cyclist

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:CA
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

http://thru-you.com/#/intro/

proof of how important the producer is....





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users