Gospel

54 replies to this topic

#31 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Finding weird ish inside record covers.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:06 AM

Ok, so this should have been posted up already, but it is here now:

Posted Image
Namomi Shelton and the Gospel Quees "What have you Done? - I'll take the Long Road" 2009 on Daptone records.

Damnnnnn is this good music, Daptone is by far one of the best labels around today. Everything about this single and the long player that it's off smack of classic early 70's Funk Gospel. Her backing band has some of the cats from the Dap Kings (of course) but some vets from the hey day that played with Wilson Pickett and even James Brown's bassist, yup. Honestly a lot of the Funk and Soul that is coming out today that is supposed to have that old school feel to it, good as it may be, just doesn't come with that old school vibe, for many reasons. But this joint does. Much to do with her raw vocals, simply has that good Soul vibe to it that will make you feel whats going on here. Will have to say that this is a must buy for all Soul Funk Gospel heads.

#32 scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Just did a show w/ BeBe Winans. I'll throw some twitpics up.

#33 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

For real? How'd that connect come about?

#34 scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:41 AM

Just the day job, summer's coming around and talent comes in the summer. So do hours, I was A, though the monitor mix got a little messy cuz I mixed to background vocalist's mics, he was towards the end, Beverly Crawford was the final act. The show went on over 12 hours. 12 hours of standing, on my toes, bouncing back and forth between drummers, keyboardists, percussionists and guitarists. The rental company's bass head blew out towards the end. Shit was live, I saw some woman praying so hard she was speaking in tounges and rolling her eyes on stage, black people were throwing their umbrellas up in the air as they camped out and white people kept covering thier ears trying to get between Ghost Rider and the Log Ride. That was fun but tough having to please so many professional gospel bands instantly with minimum sound check. You guys ever heard of a Jimmy Williams? Guitarist/song writer? He was dope, like two different people 10 seconds before performing. He had this nervous smirk, then he exploded on his mic and DI. Inspiring young dude.

#35 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

^ sounds like a fun time overall, lotta work.

Here's something I finally got my hands on:

Posted Image
The New York Community Choir "Express Yourself - Have a Good Time" 12" 1977 on RCA.

This 12" is off their self titled LP. This is a classic Gospel Disco cut right here. Both cuts are popping with nice snapping drums and fat bass lines. Nothing cliche about these cuts, full tilt Disco with Gospel mixed in, makes ya happy to hear this sh!t, gotta get on the good foot while this is pounding! Some might be more familiar with the work that they did backing up Nikki Giovanni, but they put out numerous quality albums. When you come across either this 12" or LP pick it up.

#36 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

Recent find:

Posted Image
The Prophets "Hooked on Gospel" 1985 on I Am Records

Here's something for the Modern Soul/Boogie/Gospel heads. Came across a couple sealed copies of this recently, had to crack open this one, had seen this cover before, but couldn't remember where/when sort of shit. Usually these mid 80's Gospel joints are difficult for me to get through, usually really shitty attempts to similate the terrible pop music of the time. Well oddly enough this is the sort of the same, but it's simply done better. The whole album has that slap pull funk bass in the line of Rick James which is very nice, smooth full sounding R&B style production, lots of synth work on every track and one track even has some mid 80's obligatory rapping thrown in. A few tracks are old standards, all done though with a unique style. Just as some Gospel joints in the late 60's and throughout the 70's would cut a album emulating the current sounds of the time, this one does the same for the mid 80's. This being the case I can see why certain Modern Soul/Boogie heads lookout for this album. I don't know anything about this label, it seems too well done to have been some one-off label, so I'm guessing that there's at least a small catalog for it which I'm going to be on the look out for, odds are there are some other cuts with this sound on it.

#37 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

Here's a nice cut I recently picked up for the store: Elder J. Ward and The Gospel Four "A Change is Gonna Come" on the D-Vine Spirituals label out of Memphis Tenn, flip side is: "Sinner's Prayer". Great version of A Change, Sinner's Prayer is a good bluesy/R&B cut with a great message. Feelin it!!

#38 Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Bought this album from someone who's also active here (together with some other funk-soul-jazz-gospel records), really enjoying it!
I'll try to post some more gospel uploads in the next weeks.

#39 yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

thanks alot for these gems guys i needed something different, ive never got into gosple music

#40 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Savoy put out so much damn good music it's ridiculous!

#41 yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

where can i find this egon or dam funk gosple podcast, i got the soul gosple vol 2 but cant find vol 1, once again thanks for putting me in a new direction it was needed!

#42 yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

#43 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Here's a cut off a dope LP:

The Gospelaires of Dayton, Ohio, "I can depend on Jesus" off the "You can depend on Jesus" LP, Savoy 14433, year: 1977.

From beginning to end fabulous harmonizing and falsetto vocal work with a rock solid R&B grooving back up. Feelin' it and recommending it!

#44 SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

lotsa great cuts here, but most are from the 70's! I went though an intense phase of gospel a few years ago, and a lot of the stuff I dug the most was 30's, 40's, and 50's joints from the likes of the Golden Gates Quartet, The Dixieaires, and the Swan Silvertones among others. Obviously way more focus on vocal harmonies than on funky guitar groove, but the stuff really blew me away and I still keep those guys in rotation. Anybody have any good pre-60's suggestions to throw in the mix?

#45 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

The Swan Silvertones are the shit, seriously some of the best music in my collection. Period.

#46 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

I would say all early Gospel on Vee Jay, such as the early Staple Singers would fit the bill for you nicely, the first couple Staple Singers albums are so damn good, I usually just stop everything and listen to them like 3 or 4 times, usually on headphones. The Paramount label put out good early Gospel on 78's. I think you'll going to have to hit 78's to find a lot of that sound that you're looking for. I have some older Gospel cuts that are of the true spiritual variety, I'll try to post a few up, really haunting vocals, good ish.

#47 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

Here's a solid 70's cut:

The Pilgrim Jubilee Singers "Pray for Peace" off the "Now & Forever" LP, Nashboro 7181 pressing, year: 1977.

Fantastic R&B Funk on this ablum from start to finish. Some really good harmonizing vocals and golden production work.

#48 DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

One of my gospel favs from 1981 produced by Louis Johnson of The Brothers Johnson....

#49 Uprightmusic

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Ha, I've never thought of really flipping a Gospel record. Dope thread.

#50 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Here's a couple cuts I just posted up on youtube. Some good R&B vibes on both.

A little Nashboro party going on with these two cuts!

#51 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Dynamic Dixie Travelers. Laying down the heat for ya.

#52 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Posted up couple new cuts: These two are from a super rare LP on the Sonic label, the LP is cool, all over the place from straight spirituals to modern soul/boogie to jazzy funk.

#53 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

I guess there is a limit to how many videos you can put into a post? Did not know that, any how....

Here is some choir action. Normally I don't really get down with choirs, NY seems to have more disco/boogie oriented choir albums, but not so much here in the Midwest. But this one has some serious haunting vocal work, deep, soul searching ish going on. But I guess that's the point, right?

#54 Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Uploaded 2 more gospel tunes:

#55 E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Uploaded 2 more gospel tunes:

Nice! Never seen those two, nice difference in styles too. I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen the Nashboro cut before being a IL joint, will be on the hunt for that one for sure!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users