- - - - -

An official "STBB behind the beat" thread?

153 replies to this topic

#91 DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:The beautiful things in life.
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/djsapien

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

OK, now I have vent a bit. Folks get too hung up on technique and equipment and all that. That's not what music is about for me. I could care less how you use microchops and how you sidechained this and that or what filters you used. Good music moves me in some way. It should provoke some sort of emotional reaction. If it does, then it's good. You can use all the most impressive techniques and chop the sh!t out of a sample, but if it sounds sterile and boring what have you accomplished?

#92 arX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostDJ Sapien, on 31 August 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

OK, now I have vent a bit. Folks get too hung up on technique and equipment and all that. That's not what music is about for me. I could care less how you use microchops and how you sidechained this and that or what filters you used. Good music moves me in some way. It should provoke some sort of emotional reaction. If it does, then it's good. You can use all the most impressive techniques and chop the sh!t out of a sample, but if it sounds sterile and boring what have you accomplished?

I hear you. It's a balance, I think. One of my favourite musicians, Mark de Clive-Lowe, put it nicely in an interview once:

<< The biggest tip to share is learning your craft. I’m a real believer in the craft and the music coming before the technology. Someone who knows their way in, out and around every plugin is a great tool and can be a master engineer, but in making your own music, it’s the craft that will lead your creativity to higher heights. That means more than the plugins and technical tricks, getting back to basics with an instrument. Getting into harmony, melody and rhythm – the fundamentals. For me, a dedicated great musician is always going to be able to make something truly heartfelt and emotive. A dedicated engineer is always going to be able to make something impressive, but not necessarily transcending that. Combine the two and you have a lethal combination. >>

#93 steezo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/stanscrates

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

True. From a listening point of view, you are absolutely right, Sapien. I think what Heavy Drama suggests is a take on a more technical approach to the beat battles. I think his idea is to push the boundaries further by limiting the provided material and then vote for the one who made the most out of it or used the illest approach. But then it's no longer about the music alone, I agree on that.

On the other hand, it would be really interesting what people could come up with - because you can get creative on the tech tip too. Although I think there's no need to demand parallel or sidechain compression from anybody's beat, because this is just a technique or a mean to get a desired sound - it's not the other way around.

But something like providing some drums or some voices is a nice approach to that concept. We already had those in the last rounds - which I really liked, cause it leaves room for creativity as well as a way to rate the craftmanship of anybody, cause you know the material beeing used, so can judge both very well.

Nice quote, btw, aRx

#94 Sev Seveer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:beats. gear. teaching kids to make beats. writing. Roy Ayers Project. TheBeatINN
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/sevseveer

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostHeavy Drama, on 31 August 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

It's about your comments not pop idol. No disrespect to you or anyone in here and everyone should know how I feel about the community but to say "we're all good beat makers" and that "some of the best cats in the world are in here" is just straight up retarded. There are many talented people in the group many of whom I'm kool with and respect immensely but I assure you the ones that might potentially be world class have left or do not contribute often enough for exactly that reason. Maybe 1 or 2 potentially but if you wouldn't mind telling me who you think is "best in the world" levels from this current group I'd appreciate it?

My suggestion regarding your original post is that if this is really needed you start one thread of conciousness and encourage everyone to contribute their go to technique or a tip that's helped or just some info/video that they think is relevant. I say this because we've been here with the "share your techniques" stuff many many times before and it always flops for a few of reasons.
1. the majority of cats on here are new or still learning and so the quality of the information isn't necessarily the best out there
2. because of no.1 we as a group have generally come to accept that the judging process is mostly based on creativity and not engineering. (I'm sure you've realised the "battle" element of this situation is a loose term to define the format. No one actually battles anyone else on here which is why there's so much love in the group. If we're being real this is the "stones throw beat cypher" which I'm absolutely fine with. If we were to actually battle I think you'd see the standard of production increase 100x cos folks don't wanna get punk'd.)
3. most of the "technically better" producers/beat makers don't actually want to give up their secrets or share much info at all

Sev mate big up to you for being proactive but we've tried this before in the actual round threads and unfortunately it always ends up dead or a baby sitting service where cats start talking about basic shit.

I would prefer if we concentrated on improving individual rounds and increasing the challenge or promoting more creativity. For example...
  • technique based weeks where everyone has to flip with a sidechain, distortion, reverb etc.
  • No drums week.
  • 3 beats in one.
  • Hip hop sub genre themed like trip hop, chillout, club etc.
  • Tempo week where all beats have to be locked to a certain bpm 90/180.
  • Classic re-flip week.
  • Elements week where you can only use 3 drums sounds kick/snare/hat, one none synth sounding bass and the sample.
  • Filter week
  • homage week where you flip in the style of or pay tribute to Dilla, premo, pete rock, large pro, marley marl etc
If I was around more and had the opportunity to inflict these rules I would. I think being more creative with the rules is the way forward. Folks can go find their own tutorials or ask specific questions to the group but please lets not turn this into some beat clinic because that's weak. We may not be "battling" but life is still competitive and finding out how to do things as well as your creativity sets you apart from others.

oh and just on a purely functional level extra threads in this board will fuck up the flow of

Voting Thread
Round Thread

Trust me I can guarantee that at some point it will become impossible to keep track of where the latest round is because they'll be 18 "behind the beat" threads clogging up the situation. In here it's Beat battles and voting only. I'm with whoever suggested we do this in "The Crates" and just link it to the current round.

Less talk
more action.

My views.

Big up Sev.

Yeah, I realized where this thread was going by the second page and it definitely is not what I meant to have happen. However, I also gave thought to the fact that less attention would go to voting. Lastly, it occured to me that the possibility of a "how-i-flipped it" video affecting the votes was a real one; if SFT, for instance, posts a crazy vid about how intricately he modified a sample to get a finished product, that might cause someone to change their vote. No sense in doing it AFTER the vote because by then we're doing a different beat.

What I mean by "Best beatmakers in the world" is simply this: the intrigue that I had (the intrigue that brought me to this forum) was raised out of the fact that beforehand, I heard many folks in the beat community talking about how this is was a crazy forum with top level talent and alot of great former-posters (i say former because i couldnt have known who is currently in it, obviously). For instance, a dude who is in Chicago right now and I've gotten a chance to build with in the past is Raj Mahal, and I know he took a battle or two, and he is one of the most prolific cats over in Chi right now. But his win was how i first heard about this group. So when I say best in the world, I like to think that alot of the great beatmakers worldwide are checking this board every blue moon, and at the very least, know about it. call me naive...but if someone asked me where they could find 10 dope beatmakers and I told them, I'm sure that based on what I've heard, a good percentage of that 10 would be dudes who have some sort of connection to STBB, whether it be past or present.

I'm an easy going guy who isn't going to start a threadwar on the internet because a cat called something i posted retarded, (this is actually the first true message board I've posted in since like, 2002), and, I think Heavy Drama's beats are the gold backing to any seemingly impolite shit he might say on a forum, so again, @Obi, im not sweating it. And I agree with most of everything that was said. I kinda now hold the opinion that this thread might do better in the Crates after seeing how it has progressed. The battles are the most important thing to me, and I dont want to see them cluttered or receive any less attention than they are already getting, not many cats vote as it is. This was really simply a matter of me being new and not accounting for "thread-dynamics", i.e, this entire debate

What I am truly happy to see though, is that people feel I have affected the forum in a positive way, that may be happening, might not be, idk. But just seeing that idea considered has put me in a good place. one thing that I will not ever back away from is that this forum should be about learning as much as it is music. There is no point to doing anything collaborative with any artists (we might not actually be working with eachother, but by keeping this forum running we are collaborating).....there is no point to doing it if you aren't learning something. And i feel that way about my life in general. if i cant build my mental while I'm doing a thing, there is no reason why i should be doing that thing, period. So i do hope that this thread is at least going to breath some life back into the crates, if that's where it is headed. I started this thread here because i wanted it where people would see it. The crates has moths and dustbunnies flying off of it and shit

#95 Obi-Dan-Kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostDJ Sapien, on 31 August 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Yup feeling that, I probably added to your stress dude, sorry man, need reigning in at times, your right if it's sick it's sick, if ain't try harder and don't repeat mistakes.

#96 ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, Tarantino flicks, podcasts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Well the engineering has to be important because on 286 many could not refrain from saying "your drums this" "this/that sounds dull". And of course I disagree to an extent but also agree to an extent because I am never content with my sound. I don't know shit about sidechain compression or have extensive knowledge about filtering and other technical aspects of mixing other than "this is too loud or too quiet". I would like to learn because it may come in handy the next time Im high as fuck and want to experiment with new sounds. and I agree with heavy drama on additional challenges for the battles, but shit man that's all up to the winner!

#97 enzo eyeris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:my team: perfiktion (together with BEATFUX)
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/enzoeyeris/

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

I will give my 2 cents, too: enzo's credo- develope a personal style/ sound quality comes later on..

I remember sitting in front of my tape-deck (back in the days when CDs were brand new -so the mid 90s) and the protection was broke. But what I could do, was tapping the motor... to "scratch" on the casette... I sounded shitty- but was the closes to music production I could do. Some years later - I was like 14 - our PC hab the first Microphone- and I had eJay with a recording option. I recorded "samples" from the radio and tried to make my own stuff. The quality was shitty but I didn't have to use the samples eJay provided to me!
And that was always the thing I wanted to do! My own Stuff.

from the early beginnings in 2002 - to 2010 it was like this:
when I make a beat my goal is not just - to make a cool beat... I want to make this piece of music mine! The original artist shouldn't be able to recognize!... I even create my own drums - derrived from other sounds (guns noise / a fork ratteling and so on)

during that time the mixing was not that important to me! The piece of music hat to be creative and new! So I blend different song-samples with gamesounds and stuff like that!

on 01.01.2011 made my first beat battle - and then mixing became interessting! I reduced elements in my beats and approached the original sample more and more - but never similar... and just looped.
So the STMB a reason 4 me to polish my music. My credo of the years before was held in the background (sometimes because of the rules) in these battles- but never vanished.

Nowadays I feel free to do what I want... when I do stuff that is not for the battles I mixed my approach from the battles with my personal one - and that is a good way to move on! I wanna thank AIRJORDAN0815 - who critizied my in one round and said - I should "tidy up" my stuff... but of course everybody in here is a constant source of inspiration - and it is fun to mess with u guys!

peace E E

ps: I should do some crazier stuff in the next round...have been more creative when I started this!

EDIT: woah... during my post there was some discussion... and I thought of this thread in a whole other way! I thought it was more about the things I have in my mind when I start building! ...all that technical stuff... I'm out...my english is (obviously) not good enough 4 this and it is not interessting 2 me. Don't get too excited about this stuff in here!

Edited by enzo eyeris, 31 August 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#98 DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Word to developing your own style. I don't know how many times I've come across cats talmbout, how do I get Preemo's bass and how do I make drums like Dilla? Inspiration's one thing, but straight biting is another.

#99 Cise2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's about your comments not pop idol. No disrespect to you or anyone in here and everyone should know how I feel about the community but to say "we're all good beat makers" and that "some of the best cats in the world are in here" is just straight up retarded. There are many talented people in the group many of whom I'm kool with and respect immensely but I assure you the ones that might potentially be world class have left or do not contribute often enough for exactly that reason. Maybe 1 or 2 potentially but if you wouldn't mind telling me who you think is "best in the world" levels from this current group I'd appreciate it?

My suggestion regarding your original post is that if this is really needed you start one thread of conciousness and encourage everyone to contribute their go to technique or a tip that's helped or just some info/video that they think is relevant. I say this because we've been here with the "share your techniques" stuff many many times before and it always flops for a few of reasons.
1. the majority of cats on here are new or still learning and so the quality of the information isn't necessarily the best out there
2. because of no.1 we as a group have generally come to accept that the judging process is mostly based on creativity and not engineering. (I'm sure you've realised the "battle" element of this situation is a loose term to define the format. No one actually battles anyone else on here which is why there's so much love in the group. If we're being real this is the "stones throw beat cypher" which I'm absolutely fine with. If we were to actually battle I think you'd see the standard of production increase 100x cos folks don't wanna get punk'd.)
3. most of the "technically better" producers/beat makers don't actually want to give up their secrets or share much info at all

Sev mate big up to you for being proactive but we've tried this before in the actual round threads and unfortunately it always ends up dead or a baby sitting service where cats start talking about basic shit.

I would prefer if we concentrated on improving individual rounds and increasing the challenge or promoting more creativity. For example...
  • technique based weeks where everyone has to flip with a sidechain, distortion, reverb etc.
  • No drums week.
  • 3 beats in one.
  • Classic re-flip week.
  • Elements week where you can only use 3 drums sounds kick/snare/hat, one none synth sounding bass and the sample.
  • Filter week
  • homage week where you flip in the style of or pay tribute to Dilla, premo, pete rock, large pro, marley marl etc
If I was around more and had the opportunity to inflict these rules I would. I think being more creative with the rules is the way forward. Folks can go find their own tutorials or ask specific questions to the group but please lets not turn this into some beat clinic because that's weak. We may not be "battling" but life is still competitive and finding out how to do things as well as your creativity sets you apart from others.

oh and just on a purely functional level extra threads in this board will fuck up the flow of

Voting Thread
Round Thread

Trust me I can guarantee that at some point it will become impossible to keep track of where the latest round is because they'll be 18 "behind the beat" threads clogging up the situation. In here it's Beat battles and voting only. I'm with whoever suggested we do this in "The Crates" and just link it to the current round.

Less talk
more action.

My views.

Big up Sev.

• No drums week.
  • 3 beats in one.
  • Classic re-flip week.
  • Filter week

Voting Thread
Round Thread

Less talk
more action.

My views.

Big up Sev.
good points, sure would be nice to focus the rules on the tools and the sampling part, rather then just sampling. peace.

#100 Obi-Dan-Kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostSev Seveer, on 31 August 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

Yeah, I realized where this thread was going by the second page and it definitely is not what I meant to have happen. However, I also gave thought to the fact that less attention would go to voting. Lastly, it occured to me that the possibility of a "how-i-flipped it" video affecting the votes was a real one; if SFT, for instance, posts a crazy vid about how intricately he modified a sample to get a finished product, that might cause someone to change their vote. No sense in doing it AFTER the vote because by then we're doing a different beat.

What I mean by "Best beatmakers in the world" is simply this: the intrigue that I had (the intrigue that brought me to this forum) was raised out of the fact that beforehand, I heard many folks in the beat community talking about how this is was a crazy forum with top level talent and alot of great former-posters (i say former because i couldnt have known who is currently in it, obviously). For instance, a dude who is in Chicago right now and I've gotten a chance to build with in the past is Raj Mahal, and I know he took a battle or two, and he is one of the most prolific cats over in Chi right now. But his win was how i first heard about this group. So when I say best in the world, I like to think that alot of the great beatmakers worldwide are checking this board every blue moon, and at the very least, know about it. call me naive...but if someone asked me where they could find 10 dope beatmakers and I told them, I'm sure that based on what I've heard, a good percentage of that 10 would be dudes who have some sort of connection to STBB, whether it be past or present.

I'm an easy going guy who isn't going to start a threadwar on the internet because a cat called something i posted retarded, (this is actually the first true message board I've posted in since like, 2002), and, I think Heavy Drama's beats are the gold backing to any seemingly impolite shit he might say on a forum, so again, @Obi, im not sweating it. And I agree with most of everything that was said. I kinda now hold the opinion that this thread might do better in the Crates after seeing how it has progressed. The battles are the most important thing to me, and I dont want to see them cluttered or receive any less attention than they are already getting, not many cats vote as it is. This was really simply a matter of me being new and not accounting for "thread-dynamics", i.e, this entire debate

What I am truly happy to see though, is that people feel I have affected the forum in a positive way, that may be happening, might not be, idk. But just seeing that idea considered has put me in a good place. one thing that I will not ever back away from is that this forum should be about learning as much as it is music. There is no point to doing anything collaborative with any artists (we might not actually be working with eachother, but by keeping this forum running we are collaborating).....there is no point to doing it if you aren't learning something. And i feel that way about my life in general. if i cant build my mental while I'm doing a thing, there is no reason why i should be doing that thing, period. So i do hope that this thread is at least going to breath some life back into the crates, if that's where it is headed. I started this thread here because i wanted it where people would see it. The crates has moths and dustbunnies flying off of it and shit
Sev I can totally respect your not sweating, I was when working with a kid looking over my shoulder I was showing him this whole thing, and he kid of when ape shit when he saw the retarded word, had to write something to calm him, I still hate the word though and still would say the same thing if I read it at home, Valid points have been raised and a 286 thing has started which seems focused at the moment. All this is chaos organising itself.

#101 Heavy Drama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

lol Doesn't the fact that you've deviated off the original topic to moan about me typing one word that wasn't directed at you illustrate the need to keep any new threads somewhere else to avoid clogging up this board with people running off on tangents?

Sev is a big man and he took it in the context it was meant. I'm done here.

#102 DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Ain't nothing to clog up on this board. It's not exactly jam packed, in case anyone hasn't noticed.

#103 Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Damn never knew cats got so pissed about discussing production techniques! Chill out, we're just trying to share tips dudes. Be it here or the crates, i don't think it really matters that much. Never understood withholding techniques, Cmon, like you guys are soooooo much iller than everyone else, pleeeeease. That's why you're in message boards, right? That's why you're signed to.....oh wait you're not signed. Get over yourselves producers

#104 steezo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

As far as I am concerned, this thread has to be regarded as sort of the Lounge Section for the beat heads, where a lotta shit is going on at the same time. Picture this: you got like a few dudes and me standing in the corner, philosophying about certain engineering techniques, then you got other peeps listening over there or some cats over there talking bout other stuff, like: "dude, did you hear that shit he did on that track, yo that shit cray - how did he do it?", or somebody is saying: "that shit dude said is retarded", while other dude says: "stop frontin'", while somebody is screaming "Reeeeeeeason" from the other end of the room getting awkward looks like: yeah, whatever… ;)

I actually like that idea - it's very entertaining too. I think we should just sticky that one thread and be able come back here after each round - if we like to - and ask stuff or talk about something based around the last beat or what not.

So with that idea in mind, I don't quite get the point of where and when this thread actually went Off Topic. Cause I don't look at it this way. I just look through the posts and be like: okay that's interesting or, nope, not interesting.

That's pretty Behind the beat imho…

#105 DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Word, let's keep the mood chill and fun. That's what I like about this board. No beef, no BS, just some cool cats who love music.

#106 steezo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

I just saw somebody opening a Behind the Beat thread for Round 286. So, are we keeping it round-based now? Just curious to know.

#107 supatranspose

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

when James Dewitt Yancey released DONUTS, on his DEATHBED, did his one thought circle around "how can i make the sound quality spectacular?" probably nada. I and others took from that album/bible as THIS is what you can do musically to traditional sample based music, so use this as a guide for inspiration not a template to duplicate. i mean this is STONES THROW, have you heard any old Madlib? sound is ruffle potato chips, but MUSICALLY it breaks boundaries and INSPIRES, hence why you all are here: to discover, improve and INSPIRE. keep up the good work and.. DO YOU!

#108 Speekless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/speekless

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Poststeezo, on 01 September 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

I just saw somebody opening a Behind the Beat thread for Round 286. So, are we keeping it round-based now? Just curious to know.

I'm assuming everybody's cool with, and I think it'd be better to do so just for clarity's sake. It doesn't have to be about that particular beat battle imo, but keeping this one thread is gonna end up in some huge 50-page thread at some point.

I would say we start a new thread every week after the submission deadline. I don't think any of this could influence the voting results, that would be weak.

#109 Cise2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hey, how about we open a group on fb, so we wont be messing with this forums dynamics? and we can get to know each other. and thinking globaly we can open a page on fb to sprrad the word! Whos in? :)

#110 Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

sticky!! that's whats up. ok how yall do with parameter automation?? what do you automate most frequently, how do you automate (live performance style, drawing in the curves, using the mouse, whatever) i play that shit live with faders on my axiom usually. we're talking filter LFOs, LFO rates.... pretty much in love with automating drum distortion, so like, it'll be clean at first, and slowly get dirty as the beat goes on.... let's talk effects too while we're at it.. i am married to a tape echo. it is not accepted or tolerated socially but i still take it out in public for some pda and put that ass to sleep every night with my long hard................................feed back automation loop.... playing around with like a dirt/squasher thing right now some heavy compressor/overdrive type of shit

#111 Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Ok.....so a no go on parameter automation. Whats your choicest reverb? For drums, the whole mix or otherwise? Lay on me some gnarly reverb units. Personally i just picked up the uhbik-a from uhe and I'm loving it on drums as a send

#112 ziggyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:MAN E FACE
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/tangent1

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

hey grifty i dont know what u use but i use ableton and i hardly plug any controller in which i imagine peeps could tell from my tracks but i do fuq with filter/effects parameters by drawing in the automation i like midi mapping and usings knobs n faders but if theyre set to pitch i"ll just go overboard and get lost plus its easy to draw in very gradual changes like u said u did with distortion as for reverb i pretty much hate abletons and their delay too i grew up just throwing guitar pedals on drum machines and it sounded better to me
have u ever messed with dblue? i know its widely used for GLITCHop WOW! but i wondered how guys like solarr use it subtly maybe even for that one bar trick everyone does where it gets quiet n filtered and i dont wanna sound like a narc but u b buying any vsts i got tired of downloading the free ones real quick and whens the next beat man i lived in the central valley bfore and if i made beats then i prolly would have lasted longer and made some longterm tracks or just got too stoned and make a bunch of crazy late night loops like i do now

#113 sft

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Beats Rhymes & Life.

Facebook.com/sftbeats
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/sftbeats

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Just been thinking about this non-quantization rule this week and what popped in to my head was the natural rhythm of life where thinks are up, down, fast and slow and nothing is ever constant like a tempo. Everything is always shifting. With that view it's almost unnatural that something should remain at a constant pace. The two genres that immediately popped in to my head were jazz and classical. Two genres (amongst others I haven't thought of yet) which run with no tempo. Although there are pieces of music from both genre which have constant tempos I thought these two genres probably most accurately reflect the natural rhythm of life the best. Which made me wonder, if it really is less 'natural' to have a constant pace, why is it that most genres of music (of course including hip hop and more specifically Beats) have a constant tempo? What is it that makes us want to hear a steady bpm? I dont really have an answer. Just some questions to think about.

Anyway I've been listening to some beats which appear to have no clear tempo as it seems to be shifting through out the song and on further reflection and listening Im starting to become more convinced of how natural it is to have breaks in a beat where it might lose the original rhythm by either slowing down or speeding up. And of course part of what makes this natural is how that's the way life is with its constantly shifting rhythms. I dunno, seems to make sense to me.

Heres some Blacklicious for ya ears:

#114 Ymsé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/yms-1

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

Very good debate...
For me, the concept of an advice is : You take it or not. And everybody is free to give it or not.
This thread looks good to me to ask questions, give or receive answers.
All have his own view, there is mine.

Peace to y'all !!!

#115 Obi-Dan-Kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

View Postsft, on 11 September 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

Just been thinking about this non-quantization rule this week and what popped in to my head was the natural rhythm of life where thinks are up, down, fast and slow and nothing is ever constant like a tempo. Everything is always shifting. With that view it's almost unnatural that something should remain at a constant pace. The two genres that immediately popped in to my head were jazz and classical. Two genres (amongst others I haven't thought of yet) which run with no tempo. Although there are pieces of music from both genre which have constant tempos I thought these two genres probably most accurately reflect the natural rhythm of life the best. Which made me wonder, if it really is less 'natural' to have a constant pace, why is it that most genres of music (of course including hip hop and more specifically Beats) have a constant tempo? What is it that makes us want to hear a steady bpm? I dont really have an answer. Just some questions to think about.

Anyway I've been listening to some beats which appear to have no clear tempo as it seems to be shifting through out the song and on further reflection and listening Im starting to become more convinced of how natural it is to have breaks in a beat where it might lose the original rhythm by either slowing down or speeding up. And of course part of what makes this natural is how that's the way life is with its constantly shifting rhythms. I dunno, seems to make sense to me.

Heres some Blacklicious for ya ears:

Your heart is your inner kick drum, if I'm right your natural BPM for your heart will match the tune can't remember what frequency it resonates at though, Drum n bass is useful when your late, check out Mr Bungle's first album changes, swings, it's got everything. I'm also thinking that maybe subconsciously we do not want a perfect timing to follow as time is relative and that could be why it feels so natural, it's always now when you really think about it, older recordings where always looser when it was done live.

#116 sft

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Facebook.com/sftbeats

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Word good thoughts Dan.

#117 jonesfosho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I just wanna say I love y'all.

#118 Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

lol wtf classical music has steady beat, there are tempo markings on the scores dude. sure they take liberties around the cadences and slow down a bit but its not ever-changing, it's pretty constant.

#119 sft

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Facebook.com/sftbeats

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostConstrobuz, on 12 September 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

lol wtf classical music has steady beat, there are tempo markings on the scores dude. sure they take liberties around the cadences and slow down a bit but its not ever-changing, it's pretty constant.

True. Shows my ignorance. I need to stop these random spiels.

#120 DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

It's not easy to rap over tempo changes, probably but I'm surprised more instrumental artists don't play around with it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users