up in New York

6 replies to this topic

#1 kruttyranks

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

what up, i'm jettin' to new york next week (third time this year.....expedia get addicting)
wondering if yall have any diggin' spots to check out (besides the obvious)??
lookin' for some vintage gear as well (samplers, ghetto's). Also any clothing stores that are dope, or good eats.......or coffee i need that ish
get at me if you can help
much thanks

word up

#2 GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC!

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

i saw in a magazine that they opened up a new record store on 304 E5th St. in Manhattan. they specialize in brazilian music (i read that a tim maia goes for $100)

clothes: soho, the village (if u like ur clothes like u like ur samplers: vintage)

good eats: gray's papaya on E86th St. and 3rd. Ave.

these are just suggestions man. u'll get a million different suggestions b/c there's a million things to choose from in this city. but that's the beauty i guess

peace...

#3 andt88

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

For hiphop and dj type shit and reissues Fat Beats (in Manhattan) and Beat Street (in Bklyn) are the best. Rock & Soul in Manhattan is good too. Music Factory in Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens are good, but the other 3 spots got the same type of shit and aint a hassle to get to.

For old records try Academy Records and all its annexes in Manhattan and Bklyn or Sound Library, A-1 and Gimme Gimme all in Manhattan.

#4 kruttyranks

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

much thanks, i'll have to check out the brazilian reocrd store for sure, sounds dope.

word up

#5 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

View Postkruttyranks, on Oct 18 2006, 03:30 AM, said:

what up, i'm jettin' to new york next week (third time this year.....expedia get addicting)
wondering if yall have any diggin' spots to check out (besides the obvious)??
lookin' for some vintage gear as well (samplers, ghetto's). Also any clothing stores that are dope, or good eats.......or coffee i need that ish
get at me if you can help
much thanks

word up

shhheessh...

alternative record stores... other music.. i think someone mentioned a1 and turntable lab. If you must order form sandbox, make a LIST of the records they are selling. you can go to their distribution shop. i believe its somewhere around 32 between 7th and 8th ave. BRING cash.. they'll throw you a discount and some promos.. speak to the chinese guy in the front desk w/specks. When presenting the list tell him you'll be paying in cash..as far as eats what kind of food do you like and what do you want to spend on a meal? lots of varity here. Also - sound library split. 2 stores now instead.

clothing... umm... they got a bathing ape, Alife, aNYthing, union, stussy, gstar, supreme, triple 5 soul and some other places. i'm not too knowledgeable about that... I like the levis store across from bloomingdales on 59th st personally.

as far as nite life... don't sleep on "apt." in manhattan. "Triple crown" in brooklyn. "Black betty's" on friday in brklyn is good as well. Most of the other spots are filler unless its a special nite. throw us your exact date. might be able to get some info for parties and such.

#6 kruttyranks

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

View Postj303, on Oct 18 2006, 06:13 PM, said:

shhheessh...

alternative record stores... other music.. i think someone mentioned a1 and turntable lab. If you must order form sandbox, make a LIST of the records they are selling. you can go to their distribution shop. i believe its somewhere around 32 between 7th and 8th ave. BRING cash.. they'll throw you a discount and some promos.. speak to the chinese guy in the front desk w/specks. When presenting the list tell him you'll be paying in cash..as far as eats what kind of food do you like and what do you want to spend on a meal? lots of varity here. Also - sound library split. 2 stores now instead.

clothing... umm... they got a bathing ape, Alife, aNYthing, union, stussy, gstar, supreme, triple 5 soul and some other places. i'm not too knowledgeable about that... I like the levis store across from bloomingdales on 59th st personally.

as far as nite life... don't sleep on "apt." in manhattan. "Triple crown" in brooklyn. "Black betty's" on friday in brklyn is good as well. Most of the other spots are filler unless its a special nite. throw us your exact date. might be able to get some info for parties and such.

word, thanks man, i apreciate the help. i'm going to be there from the 26th of october till the 29th. i'm bassicaly out there to distrubute cataloges for my clothing line (upwrite vintage) tryin' to drum up some business....get me hustle on. i will be diggin' for breaks and ish (makin' beats) as far a food goes and price, i'm not to concerned about price but let's no get ridiculus (i can't spell) naw mean?? even good coffee shops would be dope. need the java yo. for clothing i was just lookin' for vintage stuff, mabey find some places that might carry my ish.
much thanks

word up

#7 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

View Postkruttyranks, on Oct 19 2006, 02:40 AM, said:

word, thanks man, i apreciate the help. i'm going to be there from the 26th of october till the 29th. i'm bassicaly out there to distrubute cataloges for my clothing line (upwrite vintage) tryin' to drum up some business....get me hustle on. i will be diggin' for breaks and ish (makin' beats) as far a food goes and price, i'm not to concerned about price but let's no get ridiculus (i can't spell) naw mean?? even good coffee shops would be dope. need the java yo. for clothing i was just lookin' for vintage stuff, mabey find some places that might carry my ish.
much thanks

word up

as far as coffee look for illy- if not i just settle for the s.bucks..... alot of coffee i've had has no kick... need the boost. s.bucks has it....

gooogle - Dimsum gogo - in chinatown... very good... will post more info as i gather up some stuf..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users