So far I can't write rhyme but my flow is terrible

#2 Haef

Haef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/haef

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

When I write I take an idea, a double entendre, a clever play on words etc and work backward. Here's a sample

She on that boot camp shit, lazy niggas cant stand her,
cuz their military experience hasnt moved past colonel sanders

^ i just made that up as i typed this post and its kinda clever idk. I always work backwards so I can get a feel for how the actual bar will play out and how the end/point will come across

#3 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

http://youtu.be/xtE1HnIU6q8?t=3m50s

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

time. it's inevitable that your first dozen or more raps will be sub-par at best; but it's a very important step in the process of learning flow, meter, rhyme, and other essentials in MC-ing. it took me years to nab my flows and shit down to where i like 'em, and they're still constantly evolving.
  • JoaGymshoe likes this

#5 Fake Krills

Fake Krills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

i've always found the best way to tighten flows is to try rapping over a slew of different beats; all sorts of different genres and such. don't really mind what you're saying just try to flow on the beats for a while, eventually you'll get a feel for how to flow over all different tempos and rhythms

#6 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

time. it's inevitable that your first dozen or more raps will be sub-par at best; but it's a very important step in the process of learning flow, meter, rhyme, and other essentials in MC-ing. it took me years to nab my flows and shit down to where i like 'em, and they're still constantly evolving.

Ha! you just beat me to the punch JF... well worded too! There are no shortcuts!
Listen to other rappers... ley yourself be influenced but try not to copy though... takes time to find your own style(s)

Keep a pen and pad handy at all times... write s'thing every day, nomatter how random...
All pieces of a puzzle that can come together at a later point in time...

You can also try writing a rhyme about a confined subject... like cats for instance ;)

Good Luck Tastik

#7 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

i've always found the best way to tighten flows is to try rapping over a slew of different beats; all sorts of different genres and such. don't really mind what you're saying just try to flow on the beats for a while, eventually you'll get a feel for how to flow over all different tempos and rhythms

Good advice too! ... record freestyles and find cool parts and learn from that!

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

it's just like learning how to produce beats; when starting out, it's a lot easier to study your favorite rappers and emulate them. i can't even tell you how many times i tried writing tracks as like "responses" to Slug, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, and when i was way younger Eminem. i used to just literally play a song with a beat i liked, usually the actual song-- not even the instrumental cause in most cases they didn't exist-- and i would listen past whatever the rapper was saying and try to write my own bars to it...it was very difficult, cause you gotta be able to selectively listen to a track and pick it apart minutely...but it also made me concentrate on their wording, delivery and little nuances that set them apart from each other. eventually i heard Madvillainy and said "fuck it, there's no way i'm gonna top that"...so i started making my own beats instead, so i'd have something to rap on that i didn't have to worry about getting sued over. but all that preliminary practice was definitely worth it.

#9 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have actually been rapping for like 3 years but stopped because I could never get it right. I will start writing again and try to get the flow right

Thanks

#10 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

She on that boot camp shit, lazy niggas cant stand her,
cuz their military experience hasnt moved past colonel sanders

Why are you not signed yet?
  • James Frank. likes this

#11 Haef

Haef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/haef

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Why are you not signed yet?

wow i just realized thats kind of a racist bar isnt it

#12 GOONIE

GOONIE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

da-ha-ha-haa....da-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa

#13 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

wow i just realized thats kind of a racist bar isnt it

Wait ... that was kinda racist lol

#14 Maccathmhaoil

Maccathmhaoil

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/maccathmhaoil

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

The practice thing is a given, the more you practice, the more you develop new ideas. If you're trying to build on your flow I think it's useful to think it terms of syllables. Count out the syllables as you write lines:

we#can#bat#tle#like#it’s#Algiers, (7) (Algiers would probably be two syllables but the Irish accent is pretty fast)
but#I#would#n’t#bot#her#mate, (7)
I’m#like#twice#your#fuck#ing#worth (7)
like#the#ster#ling#to#the#dol#lar#rate (9)

There's no real set rules as to how syllables are used but it's useful to consider them. Sometimes it can be useful to alternate between a and b lines, such as 12 syllables on the first line, 10 on the second, 12 on the third, 10 0n the fourth, or like above, to keep it continuous and then create a switch up every fourth line or so to keep the flow interesting.

This probably sounds like a pain, but I don't tend to think about syllables as I write. I just tend to write, (you'll discover you naturally write in patterns) and if something sounds awkward I work out the syllables and then rewrite awkward lines to make it fit with the overall pattern.

The other thing it's useful for is remembering to use multi-syllable words and rhyming them against two separate words that sound like the one multi-syllable word. Multi-syllable words make the rhymes sound a bit more interesting and complex and prevent stale 'I can rap / I know this chap / my rhyme is crap' boringness
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#15 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

The practice thing is a given, the more you practice, the more you develop new ideas. If you're trying to build on your flow I think it's useful to think it terms of syllables. Count out the syllables as you write lines:

we#can#bat#tle#like#it’s#Algiers, (7) (Algiers would probably be two syllables but the Irish accent is pretty fast)
but#I#would#n’t#bot#her#mate, (7)
I’m#like#twice#your#fuck#ing#worth (7)
like#the#ster#ling#to#the#dol#lar#rate (9)

There's no real set rules as to how syllables are used but it's useful to consider them. Sometimes it can be useful to alternate between a and b lines, such as 12 syllables on the first line, 10 on the second, 12 on the third, 10 0n the fourth, or like above, to keep it continuous and then create a switch up every fourth line or so to keep the flow interesting.

This probably sounds like a pain, but I don't tend to think about syllables as I write. I just tend to write, (you'll discover you naturally write in patterns) and if something sounds awkward I work out the syllables and then rewrite awkward lines to make it fit with the overall pattern.

The other thing it's useful for is remembering to use multi-syllable words and rhyming them against two separate words that sound like the one multi-syllable word. Multi-syllable words make the rhymes sound a bit more interesting and complex and prevent stale 'I can rap / I know this chap / my rhyme is crap' boringness

Haha

Thanks

#16 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

just say sum crazy thingz off da top of u hed. like dis

"i rap rhymes, i crap dimes, i slap crimes and fap grimes/ i look like i got a lot of money, and still i'm eating honey, today's not sunny, it's gonna be cloudy/ i rap loudly, i spit rowdy, i shit like a horse/" <------- (fawkin' good one Jameson!)

#17 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image

I'll just leave this riiiiiight here.

#18 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

ha....love the one on the right cant place the tattooed dude though. You can just move your gums and say what you will on the track like most of these kids these days. But, you may want to have some kind of content.

You can sit with a book and now worry about your bars and let the muses have their merry way with you. That god awful trap is off beat anyway, so what does it matter? Dont try to fit into any particular style. When in doubt have a little paragraph or two ready to fall back on. No matter what you will be worlds ahead of the pipsqueek knobpolishers who squeeze out sililoquies of rehearsed skat.

It's always good to have some neat punchlines. Some of the best MC's have been from the commonwealth you should know.

Language and cadence should be your primary concern. I am not certain as to what happened to the art of freestyle--it somewhere along the way urned into a joke wrought with writtens and such.

Try not to listen to what others are doing in their interpretation of the craft. Get to know your voice. In the end it is a big joke, mate. But, if it is the poetic life that you seek it shall find you--which could be a benefit, or given the landscape--quite a detriment.

PM me a file with your voice on it--and we can easily work you through a passable flow. Talent is not really a requirement.

Oh I guess, pretend that you smoke weed and talk about it all of the time along with some stupid brand of shoes. You know very deep concepts. Sit behind a machine and nod your head as though you were a zombie. Eat tons of sugar or drink sugary drinks.

#19 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Vietnamese-American Recording Artist Since 1995
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/michaelnhat

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

I like fast rappers and watery spoken word like deliveries

#20 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

lol.

#21 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

you can always go on dilla instumentals on youtube and steal lyics.

nikkas be freestylin HAAAAARD!!!

lookin out the window, head on the pillow

grab the cigarillo, turn on the nintendo...

geech!

#22 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Geech that was kinda funny. Tahn I got your style down. Machine gunfire love it.

I hate the fake cypher action, personally.

#23 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

heck yeah this is the first fast rapper I heard. not claiming he was first, but he's the first I heard

#24 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Ah yes. The infamous Shaq collaborators. I knew not what the dred was ever saying. haha. The style sunk in though. Its funny the thoughts that come to mind as I interpret posts--when you posted earlier I thought of LONS off the top: and the fu-schnickens seemed to be cut from the same cloth. Wu was not far off.

#25 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I could never understand most of his lyrics, but I did not care.

#26 Fundemental Element

Fundemental Element

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:music, bud, and friends
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/fundementalelement

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

my advice would be first to start listening to what emcees are saying, and if it doesn't relate to you or make your imagination fire up, find some good stuff... and just pay attention to how they play with words and syllables. i would suggest MF Doom, Mos def, Zach de la rocha, vic mensa, krs one, pimp c, all of wu tang,etc. and like others have said just say any and everything in freestyles all day for like a week or two and have absolutely as much fun with it as possible, don't even worry about recording at first, as it will make the sharpening process take much longer! you got this Fam! (lol fam is like saying we are all one unit, we are all earthlings, we are all family)

#27 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'd say expand your vocabulary first, you will find it hard if you have got enough words to say what you mean, there is an art to this that is being forgotten, Freestyle is the true essence of that raw Hiphop character, the starting point was not recording, Supernatural was amazing at freestyle. as are most battle rappers, that are of quality, not everyone can do it, and yes being a fucking good liar can help ( Sorry but it is true, you just have to learn to lie positively ha ha!!) Sit in your room rap about objects, each time you stall and stop start again. But like Guru said, ain't much point unless your voice is dope, I'll give you a little project,
Take the alphabet, your verse will be 26 lines, 4 words each line, first line all words begin with A, the next line all words with B. you can take this as far as you want for example only have words with 5 syllables, have one subject that ties in together, check this it's long but but pretty much genius.
, The more skills you learn the less restrictions you have.

#28 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

read shit, watch movies, learn stuff...get your reference-game up. study poetry, song lyrics from other genres, paintings, weird shit to get your ideas from and re-contextualize in a hip-hop verse. know who Sisyphus and Kurt Vonnegut are, do things differently than you've heard being done before. i have a lot of good friends of mine, and even not so good friends that i still see on like facebook, that are all trying to rap and are coming with the WHACKEST shit imaginable.

learn how to rap on beat, as well as the importance of syllabic structure in your rhymes. the more syllables you can spit each bar, the more technical you'll sound. but there's gotta be substance underneath it, not that "i'm better than you suck my dick or i'll fucking knock you upside the head" bullshit, everyone's sick of that trash. rap about vegetables or something lol, to me that'd be a refreshing concept for a track. DOOM was able to do it with "GMO", and that's why he's still so relevant today after 20+ years doing this shit. challenge yourself; learn all the fundamentals of classic hip-hop, then break 'em like you never gave a fuck about 'em to begin with.

that's what i do.

#29 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'd say expand your vocabulary first, you will find it hard if you have got enough words to say what you mean, there is an art to this that is being forgotten, Freestyle is the true essence of that raw Hiphop character, the starting point was not recording, Supernatural was amazing at freestyle. as are most battle rappers, that are of quality, not everyone can do it, and yes being a fucking good liar can help ( Sorry but it is true, you just have to learn to lie positively ha ha!!) Sit in your room rap about objects, each time you stall and stop start again. But like Guru said, ain't much point unless your voice is dope, I'll give you a little project,
Take the alphabet, your verse will be 26 lines, 4 words each line, first line all words begin with A, the next line all words with B. you can take this as far as you want for example only have words with 5 syllables, have one subject that ties in together, check this it's long but but pretty much genius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLq2gpbnsBE, The more skills you learn the less restrictions you have.

that was very helpfull

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hip, hop, Rap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users