geewon001

Funky Psychic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Location:Detroit; "Tha Dee"; Motown; Murda Mitten; Dirty Glove; Iron Fist

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I got Joe Pass: Virtuoso LP 1974

Dilla sampled Joe pass for Q-Tip once so I wonder if he used this record for something else...
After a few more google searches I figured out pete Rock sampled this record so I know dilla must have used it to study. Also, there's a Car City Records sticker on my record. GEEKED!!!

R.I.P. Car City Records!..that was one of my favorite spots.

http://blogs.metroti...r-city-records/

#32 Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image
  • DAWHUD likes this

#33 Mowgli

Mowgli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....Ma Dukes hooked me up, i got a good one.

Posted Image

i've been wanting this album forever.......ever since i heard Lib sample it. did Dilla ever use any of these tracks?

what album is that? that image seems familiar but i can't place it.

#34 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

It's Leon Thomas (Blues and the Soulful Truth).

I prefer Spirits Known and Unknown.

Still a dope record.
  • James Frank. likes this

#35 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

#36 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Posted Image

haha, that one looks interesting...i'm gonna go look it up now. Jay had an immensely varied collection, it seems like there were no "whack" records in his crates.
  • GC90 likes this

#37 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Right? Or at least ink stamped the cover.

This auction is a great thing for the supporters but I can foresee a few loop holes in the future. Best thing for anyone who wants to flip these for cash is to keep them in the mailing box it came in.

#38 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

This auction is a great thing for the supporters but I can foresee a few loop holes in the future. Best thing for anyone who wants to flip these for cash is to keep them in the mailing box it came in.

True. I have no intention of selling mine, but you never know when you can fall on hard times in the future and need some extra cash. If I learned anything from watching Pawn Stars, its that documentation is everything in this situation.

#39 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

True. I have no intention of selling mine, but you never know when you can fall on hard times in the future and need some extra cash. If I learned anything from watching Pawn Stars, its that documentation is everything in this situation.

What about the Car City Records sticker? Isn't that proof enough?

#40 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

This is all very weird, don't get how Dilla owning records make's someone else's music a collectors item, for example the first press of The Beatles Sgt pepper's with the gatefold bizzle is worth quite a bit, and the white album with the limited edition, so If I bought the version Dilla owned surely that value would go through the roof. I wonder if any of these artists are aware their albums are being sold as collectors items just because Dilla owned them. Not being funny but Ma dukes could quite easily go out buy a load of old vinyl from charity shops and do what she's doing, not saying she is, but you have no proof she isn't. It could even be a whole stash of records he never got clearance for, like shit I got to get rid of these they're proof of a god dam sample clearance courtcase.

#41 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,141 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

This is all very weird, don't get how Dilla owning records make's someone else's music a collectors item, for example the first press of The Beatles Sgt pepper's with the gatefold bizzle is worth quite a bit, and the white album with the limited edition, so If I bought the version Dilla owned surely that value would go through the roof. I wonder if any of these artists are aware their albums are being sold as collectors items just because Dilla owned them. Not being funny but Ma dukes could quite easily go out buy a load of old vinyl from charity shops and do what she's doing, not saying she is, but you have no proof she isn't. It could even be a whole stash of records he never got clearance for, like shit I got to get rid of these they're proof of a god dam sample clearance courtcase.

I think you're reading a little too much into this.
  • cityoftreesca likes this

#42 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Based on what I've read, seems this is more about the personal enjoyment of owning a piece of Dilla's legacy and less about a real market value collector's item.
  • Mr. Sparkle likes this

#43 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well

I think you're reading a little too much into this.

And maybe your taking me too seriously ;), hit a nerve though it seems, as joking apart there are some valid points, the fact it's through ebay is weird, why is it not set up on the proper Dilla site ebay takes a cut of what you sell on there, each week a batch of 100 drop at about 28$, $2,800 a week over a year that is a hell of a lot of money, thats $145,600 might not go for a year, but you never know, there's also another way to look at this as Ma dukes getting her own back on a nasty industry that didn't respect her son( the record companys would of already got paid from the original sale of the record but not to the extent of the profit she will be making and hats off to her no one should see their kids pass before them and that is like sweet justice in a way). Bottom line Dilla has become a huge market to cash in on, and maybe people are not looking into it enough. Why just the collection that was found, there must be more and is that up for sale ?

#44 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Stated on the Ebay profile:
"Proceeds from the sale of these records go to benefit the J Dilla Foundation. Please visit the foundation web site and support Ma Dukes and all the foundations efforts!"

Information about the J Dilla Foundation - http://www.j-dilla.com/foundation/:
"...the newly established J Dilla Foundation has filed for tax-exempt 501©(3) status as a non-profit charitable institution to help fund the development of music in the inner city and provide scholarships to students enrolled at schools with progressive music curricula. Four initiatives will be launched each year and three cities chosen to enhance local music programs, with scholarships awarded to one or more students at the beginning of the fall semester."

SOME ONE NEEDS TO SHUT IT DOWN. This vegetable samosa lover needs to deeply think about what being "distasteful" and "irresponsible" with their words means.

#45 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

"...the newly established J Dilla Foundation has filed for tax-exempt 501©(3) status as a non-profit charitable institution to help fund the development of music in the inner city and provide scholarships to students enrolled at schools with progressive music curricula."

they can start by funding me ;)

#46 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Stated on the Ebay profile:
"Proceeds from the sale of these records go to benefit the J Dilla Foundation. Please visit the foundation web site and support Ma Dukes and all the foundations efforts!"

Information about the J Dilla Foundation - http://www.j-dilla.com/foundation/:
"...the newly established J Dilla Foundation has filed for tax-exempt 501©(3) status as a non-profit charitable institution to help fund the development of music in the inner city and provide scholarships to students enrolled at schools with progressive music curricula. Four initiatives will be launched each year and three cities chosen to enhance local music programs, with scholarships awarded to one or more students at the beginning of the fall semester."

SOME ONE NEEDS TO SHUT IT DOWN. This vegetable samosa lover needs to deeply think about what being "distasteful" and "irresponsible" with their words means.

Shut what down, ebay ? me ? you saying I'm being distasteful and irresponsible, can't tell, Ill try this as basic as I can, why through ebay, you have just copied and pasted what I've all ready said "proceeds will go to the foundation" well after ebay has made their profit off of this, which they are, you can not sell for free on there, what does the foundation get. it does not say ALL the proceeds does it. And for your information I have already made donations myself to this foundation directly, I even had an idea which I will write to Ma Dukes about, where the foundation could actually open up residential care homes for kids and young adults worldwide, making it a global foundation, not in just one country, Imagine that "Dilla foundation care homes Globally supporting all sorts of needs as well as the music and art side of things, Oh and by the way if you are saying I'm irresponsible, what do you do, I work with disabled people, special needs kids, the homeless and sexually abused children for the last 10 years, just be careful when you think you have the right to pull someone up on what they're saying, they may be talking figuratively and your taking it literally, one of the great problems with the internet, can't see each others body language, but my God do people like to judge each other. You point out where I'm being distasteful and I'll take it on board if it's valid, makes sense, and is well explained.

#47 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

well, fuck me. what did he use this one on?!

Posted Image
  • James Frank. likes this

#48 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Haha shhhhhiiit! Loving these records.. Can't wait for mine to appear in the post.

The foundation / Ma dukes will make a nice bit of cash from these. I'm sure if you are a registered charity you can post listings for free on eBay?

#49 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Why is it such a bad idea that eBay get paid for the services it supplies to both sellers and buyers regardless of tax status? They don't keep every cent from each transaction. If Ma Dukes set up a website and a store to sell all these records in she would still be paying someone to run said website. Like Projexion said earlier I'm sure most people buying these are copping them for the fact that they get to have a little piece of Dilla history; not so they can resell them on eBay at a later date. Not to say some jerk wouldn't try that, but I figure with the size of Jay's library Ma Dukes will be able to keep selling lots for minute or two so people won't have to resort to third parties for quite awhile.

#50 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Why is it such a bad idea that eBay get paid for the services it supplies to both sellers and buyers regardless of tax status? They don't keep every cent from each transaction. If Ma Dukes set up a website and a store to sell all these records in she would still be paying someone to run said website. Like Projexion said earlier I'm sure most people buying these are copping them for the fact that they get to have a little piece of Dilla history; not so they can resell them on eBay at a later date. Not to say some jerk wouldn't try that, but I figure with the size of Jay's library Ma Dukes will be able to keep selling lots for minute or two so people won't have to resort to third parties for quite awhile.

Rather all the money went to the foundation, tha'ts all. and the foundation has it's own site already, surely people would want to volunteer, it's not going to be a full time thing, but isn't ebay in effect a third party through this anyway.

#51 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image

Haven't listened to it yet but I'm excited. It's on ECM, same label of Ralph Towner & Keith Jarrett.

#52 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Rather all the money went to the foundation, tha'ts all. and the foundation has it's own site already, surely people would want to volunteer, it's not going to be a full time thing, but isn't ebay in effect a third party through this anyway.

Posted Image

#53 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Well
And maybe your taking me too seriously ;) [size=4], hit a nerve though it seems, as joking apart there are some valid points, the fact it's through ebay is weird, why is it not set up on the proper Dilla site ebay takes a cut of what you sell on there, each week a batch of 100 drop at about 28$, $2,800 a week over a year that is a hell of a lot of money, thats $145,600 might not go for a year, but you never know, there's also another way to look at this as Ma dukes getting her own back on a nasty industry that didn't respect her son( the record companys would of already got paid from the original sale of the record but not to the extent of the profit she will be making and hats off to her no one should see their kids pass before them and that is like sweet justice in a way). Bottom line Dilla has become a huge market to cash in on, and maybe people are not looking into it enough. Why just the collection that was found, there must be more and is that up for sale ?

The whole Ebay medium deters me a little too. I'm looking to have Ma Dukes or the official twitter account for the J Dilla Foundation send me a direct link - the rest is up to faith, I guess. At the very least, some of the questions you've expressed have made some, like myself, think twice before making the transaction - even if this wasn't your intention. I respect that you actually THINK. Peace to you

#54 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

The whole Ebay medium deters me a little too. I'm looking to have Ma Dukes or the official twitter account for the J Dilla Foundation send me a direct link - the rest is up to faith, I guess.

Well ST is pretty tight with Ma Dukes and they've been pushing this thing from the start so I wouldn't expect that anything shady is going on.

Thinking too much about something is not the same thing as logically thinking something through...

#55 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm looking to have Ma Dukes or the official twitter account for the J Dilla Foundation send me a direct link - the rest is up to faith, I guess.

You didn't receive a carrier pigeon sent from Ma Dukes herself? It must be a total sham.

Only if Ma Dukes and the J Dilla Foundation set up an official link to sell a portion of Dilla's record collection. Then this whole ordeal would be more valid and clear to me as well.
http://www.j-dilla.c...ollection-sale/

Also, there is an inquiries link on the J Dilla website: http://www.j-dilla.com/contact/
Maybe you can share your "screaming at the sun" conspiracy theories there.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#56 hammernilla

hammernilla

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I got a Jazz comp
(http://www.discogs.c...release/1277118)
had a sticker from street corner music, (a detroit record shop)
and (http://www.discogs.c...T/master/414831)

Lets See More!

#57 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Pat Martino & Thelma Houston here

#58 mint

mint

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

http://www.allmusic....ea-mw0000189929
Attached File  Michael_Franks_-_The_Art_Of_Tea.jpg   21.71KB   7 downloads

One of my favorite albums!

http://rateyourmusic...iac___aquarius/
Attached File  AQUARIUS_SIGNS-OF-THE-ZODIAC.JPG   55.88KB   9 downloads

Super excited about this one given that Dilla was an Aquarian.

http://www.discogs.c...n/master/438598
Attached File  114885190.jpg   173.53KB   8 downloads

http://www.vinyl.com...ct_id/LPDISC903
Attached File  20091025234103.jpg   166.7KB   5 downloads

#59 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:headphones, wayfarers, winning medals.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

http://www.allmusic....ea-mw0000189929
Attached File  Michael_Franks_-_The_Art_Of_Tea.jpg   21.71KB   7 downloads

One of my favorite albums!

http://rateyourmusic...iac___aquarius/
Attached File  AQUARIUS_SIGNS-OF-THE-ZODIAC.JPG   55.88KB   9 downloads

Super excited about this one given that Dilla was an Aquarian.

http://www.discogs.c...n/master/438598
Attached File  114885190.jpg   173.53KB   8 downloads

http://www.vinyl.com...ct_id/LPDISC903
Attached File  20091025234103.jpg   166.7KB   5 downloads

damn son. you copped 4 of them?

#60 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Placed an order for one a couple of days ago, can't wait to see what it is!

I'm thinking about framing this recod right out of its packaging w/o playing it; I'm curious as to whether or not you guys will dare put a needle to the records from the Dilla collection you're buying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users