getting DJ gigs

dj dj gigs promoters clubs club residencies resident nightlife

3 replies to this topic

#1 creamdonuts44

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

any advice on getting gigs at a club? is it easy as going to the club owner/promoter and asking if they need a dj? i've seen cats come up pretty quick, probably due in part to digital DJing (serato, etc.,) and becoming residents at certain clubs, and I'm like damn I've been doing this for a minute, i wish i can rock crowds every week. also, any thing i should expect, like politics, shady promoters/club owners, having to look/act a certain way at certain clubs/nights, etc...? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 creamdonuts44

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

#3 Conzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/inkliing

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I've only started playing live so I don't know a great deal about it yet but I'd encourage you to put yourself out there as much as possible. Don't be shy about it. Sometimes you will have to play for free or in shit places but it's all in good experience and a chance to meet people who can help you in the future.
The advantage we have is that there are so many retards out there playing shit music. If you are playing that commercial/popular music obviously it will be easier to get gigs. If you make your own shit you could also use that to your advantage.
At the end of the day it's about how much you love the music and how much you can get this over to the crowd. Enthusiasm can be iinfectious and people like to see that. Keep pushing!

#4 DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

^^ this is good advice.

It depends on what your ultimate goal in djing is, if you want to make money then best bet is to get hired for your technical skills and play what they want you to play. If your goal is more about expression of your "digging skills" lets say, then shoot more for smaller bars/clubs and expect to get paid less.

Location is also key. If you live in a big city then obviously there are more opportunities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users