Photo

The Record (or Event) that Started it All?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RADIcule

RADIcule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:The spirituality of self, contact with pure divinity through sound, and just discovering true happiness in a dog-eat-dog world.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/radiculebeats

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

I'm sure there's probably an older topic on this, but it hit me to ask this question: What music record sparked your interest in taking up production, DJing, rapping, anything musically inclined? It doesn't have to be a record either; you can discuss who influenced you to make music, a certain event that occurred that sparked your curiosity, or even describe your lineage. Do you have any individuals in your family that took up music seriously? Really want to see the background for most of you cats and just further my knowledge of those who are actively roaming the forum.

For me (still being a young cat), when I first heard the hit-anime Samurai Champloo's soundtrack (Impression & Departure) were very influential on me! I knew from that moment on I wanted to compose music that was heavily jazz-influenced, with a hip-hop twist.

#2 MikeG_Beats

MikeG_Beats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Anything Underground
  • Soundcloud:MikeG_Beats

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

The First time I heard "Don't Sweat the Technique" it was over with and I was born in 1990 so childhood was full of the classics
  • RADIcule likes this

#3 RADIcule

RADIcule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:The spirituality of self, contact with pure divinity through sound, and just discovering true happiness in a dog-eat-dog world.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

The First time I heard "Don't Sweat the Technique" it was over with and I was born in 1990 so childhood was full of the classics

Lucky bruh!!! I was born in '96 so I was still a youngin' when it came to all the good stuff to come. I appreciate it a lot more now, but nothin' like being born during or before 1990.

#4 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

Stoned round a mates house having a smoke and this kid pops by and shoves this tape in the stereo, It was Tribe called quests Once Again, the 2nd track someone showed me was The Pharcyde Runnin, wasn't until a long time later, I realised who made those beats, thats Hiphop wise, apparently when I was 2 if Stevie Wonder or Shirley Bassey was playing and it finished I would have a meltdown, and go critical!! music in general, Metallica's Master Of Puppets Album, made me pick up a bass, learn the drums, guitar, then sing, then eventually rap, What we would get of Hiphop over here I loved, just never got to hear it or knew anyone that had that stuff, the shops would not cater for it.
  • RADIcule likes this

#5 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Going round to a mates house and rockin fruity loops, version 2, we are talkin a while ago. It was so goddamn fun that its stuck with me as a hobby ever since.

Why yes, there was also weed involved.
  • RADIcule likes this

#6 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

When I got my drivers license I started hitting small theater concerts and enjoyed the hip hop shows the most. I learned about sampling at some point by recognizing some Pete Rock samples, a friend had some cheap sampler and I started buying records to chop.
  • RADIcule likes this

#7 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

My older sister got me into cratedigging back in '83. A lot of my first cops were stolen from her collection. This was the first of many records that I acquired by way of thievery.

Posted Image
  • RADIcule likes this

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

i hate to sound cheesy, but it was MV for me.
once i realized what sampling could do and where hip-hop in general could go, i drained my meager savings account in its entirety to get a turntable, records and an SP-303.
  • RADIcule likes this

#9 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I tried to learn to breakdance and failed, learnt graffiti and became decent and joined a crew. I listened to abit of nas and tupac. Then i realised the connection. All this stuff was hip hop and i had never realised it
  • RADIcule likes this

#10 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

a little Gangstarr and then this on cassette during school hours on a mates walkman:

• RADIcule likes this

#11 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

For me it was a combination of my bother and my best friend downloading a cracked version of FL Studios, some A Tribe Called Quest, and learning about sampling while trying to figure out how Kanye West made Late Registration. But before all that I was into bands like Greenday which prompted me to by my first guitar at 13.
  • RADIcule likes this

#12 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

I was three when I first heard "Rappers Delight"
  • RADIcule likes this

#13 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

Grandmaster Flash and Jam Master Jay made me want to DJ. Also I remember the movie Juice having a big impact on me as well.
  • RADIcule likes this

#14 MikeG_Beats

MikeG_Beats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Anything Underground
  • Soundcloud:MikeG_Beats

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Grandmaster Flash and Jam Master Jay made me want to DJ. Also I remember the movie Juice having a big impact on me as well.

I Feel you on that one man , it was a dope movie ..and when I get "beatmakerz" block I sometimes get inspiration from grandmaster flash to get me over the slump
  • DJ Projexion and RADIcule like this

#15 RADIcule

RADIcule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

You cats really dippin' back on these! Love it! I actually began to stumble upon the gems of the late 80's, early 90's. Being a youngin', I wasn't aware of the New Jack Swing era that came before my time. I recently started going through the soundtracks to New Jack City, Paid in Full, and Juice. Started listening to a lot of Guy, Christopher Williams, Al B Sure, Hi-Five, etc. I feel that recently that revitalized my love for music!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users