weird question to americans and nyc peoples...

18 replies to this topic

#1 juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

since most of you guys probably are american, i thought this was the right place to ask. I'm moving to new york next year with a friend. And i was wondering how are the working conditions in nyc/america in general.. how much is a normal sallery and stuff.. and how much is that compared to rent and food expenses..?

Hope you guys can help me out a bit... thanks!

#2 Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

All I gotta say is "Expensive as Fuck"! You got fam in NY? If you don't , you're gonna need a degree to get a good gig. The job market is brutal. If you're not "ready", then don't fool yourself into thinking that you are... New York City is no joke. :lol:

#3 juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

what do you mean about "ready"??

when it comes to job, i just need something so i can survive and make enough to pay the rent ..

#4 Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:42 PM

View Postjuta, on Nov 13 2006, 04:20 PM, said:

what do you mean about "ready"??

when it comes to job, i just need something so i can survive and make enough to pay the rent ..

Rent is HIGH dude.... You could pay close to a G a month for some low qual one bedroom bullshit.... I can only warn you..... You have to find out for yourself..... :lol:

#5 hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:55 PM

suggestion: get an apartment in a town 15 minutes from nyc and take the train in till you get a steady job and a good amount of cash in the bank

#6 grizz grizzlebee

Crusty Rockist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

co sign

#7 Sanka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Folding clothes.

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

Suggestion: Develop a liking for Ramen noodles and other dirt cheap "food" products.

#8 godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

or move somewhere thats not New York, everything is cheap as fuck in the Midwest

#9 4% earf bodee X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:59 AM

Move to Jersey. I think it's cheaper there, it's close to NY, but it stinks.

#10 Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:17 AM

View PostKlay Doe, on Nov 13 2006, 01:42 PM, said:

Rent is HIGH dude.... You could pay close to a G a month for some low qual one bedroom bullshit.... I can only warn you..... You have to find out for yourself..... :)

yeah but u gotta remember your dollars are worth almost half our pounds. i'm paying 450 (about $800 or slightly more) a month for a 3 bedroom flat in west london.

Basically London rent is just as absurd...

#11 juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

thanks for the answers guys... basically our plan is to work some here in denmark before moving(cause the wage is pretty high and i could pretty quickly work up some cash if i work my ass off), so paying the rent will be a little easier. But im moving to nyc no matter what, no midwest or jersey or nuttin' hehe!

But aren't appartments in borroughs like staten island and BK cheaper??

i appreciate you guys helping.. .really!

#12 BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,074 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

View Postjuta, on Nov 14 2006, 10:28 AM, said:

thanks for the answers guys... basically our plan is to work some here in denmark before moving(cause the wage is pretty high and i could pretty quickly work up some cash if i work my ass off), so paying the rent will be a little easier. But im moving to nyc no matter what, no midwest or jersey or nuttin' hehe!

But aren't appartments in borroughs like staten island and BK cheaper??

i appreciate you guys helping.. .really!

Yeah, get away from the island if you want to have a shot at paying affordable rent....Brooklyn (good shit), Queens, Bronx, Staten Island. If you are going to stay on the island, then look to lower east side. If you go into Harlem, then keep in mind the higher the street number, the crazier it will be at night....125th and up you will have to be very careful. Plus, know this, if you are getting some rediculously low price for a spot in Harlem or Manhattan, it's probably because it's in a shitty/shady part of town (really that goes for anywhere)...there are some okay deals out there though.

BE prepared to eat A LOT of GREY'S PAPAYA buddy. And enjoy NYC to the fullest....I'm pulling for you bro...I love it. I'd live there right now, but I can't convince my wife to go there yet.

Let us know when you are there and we'll give you a laundry list of record shops to check out.

Plus, this is a well known site here in the US, but you might not know about it www.craigslist.com <---(great site to find out where decent apartments are). Just go to the site and click New York and search away.

Oh yeah, here is another little tid'bit of info that you might want to soak up....can you say "section 8 housing"? Know it, learn it...love it....be prepared to be surrounded by it.

#13 juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

View PostBazacoPROject, on Nov 14 2006, 08:47 AM, said:

Yeah, get away from the island if you want to have a shot at paying affordable rent....Brooklyn (good shit), Queens, Bronx, Staten Island. If you are going to stay on the island, then look to lower east side. If you go into Harlem, then keep in mind the higher the street number, the crazier it will be at night....125th and up you will have to be very careful. Plus, know this, if you are getting some rediculously low price for a spot in Harlem or Manhattan, it's probably because it's in a shitty/shady part of town (really that goes for anywhere)...there are some okay deals out there though.

BE prepared to eat A LOT of GREY'S PAPAYA buddy. And enjoy NYC to the fullest....I'm pulling for you bro...I love it. I'd live there right now, but I can't convince my wife to go there yet.

Let us know when you are there and we'll give you a laundry list of record shops to check out.

Plus, this is a well known site here in the US, but you might not know about it www.craigslist.com <---(great site to find out where decent apartments are). Just go to the site and click New York and search away.

Oh yeah, here is another little tid'bit of info that you might want to soak up....can you say "section 8 housing"? Know it, learn it...love it....be prepared to be surrounded by it.

thank you very much... i'll check out that page.

excuse my ignorance, but what the schnitzel is grey's papaya, and section 8 housing??? :unsure:

really looking forward to the recordstores... im just worried i'll go crazy and buy waaaay too many records!! but damn.. records in america are less than half the prize here. New ones are anyway...

but i heard something about, that you have to be 21 to drink??? is this true?

we never even considered harlem though... i've always been convinced that it's a crazy place. in a bad way. always thought bk was the shit for me....

#14 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

if you have intentions on working - you'll need working papers - almost impossible to get in nyc....

so you can always work off the books. but since 9/11 local business checks for your social security, valid photo id. your best avenue is to look for a job cash in hand (off the books) - if lucky with tips working at a bar/restaurant you migh pull 15.00 usd an hour...

my girlfriend works off the books and she says it's becoming increasingly more difficult to land a good job.

as far as living in manhattan ---- forget about anything in tribecca soho village or lowewr east side.. lower east side used to be crazy cheap.. the majority of brooklyn is also out of control...

your best bet is queens - woodside or astoria... both are approximately 10 - 20 munutes by train from the city and are pretty cool areas.

if manhattan is a must washington heights is cool... it really is not dangerous anymore.. alot of suits ( yuppies) and kids visiting from japan are now living in that area...

if you really want to hit the "next" wave of brooklyn forget williamsburgh. Greenpoint is where its at. New warehouse/art gallery/ after hours spot called 3rd ward. That area is changing very quickly.

check out - 3rdwardbrooklyn.org

#15 BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,074 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

View Postjuta, on Nov 14 2006, 01:04 PM, said:

excuse my ignorance, but what the schnitzel is grey's papaya, and section 8 housing???

but i heard something about, that you have to be 21 to drink??? is this true?

Grey's Papaya is this cheap hot dog place...last I checked $2.50 for two hotdogs and papaya juice.

Section 8 Housing is housing for people who live under the poverty line, if you qualify for section 8 then you certain places will have accomodations for you....I don't know I was just trying to be funny, I actually don't know much about Section 8....

#16 juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

hahaha sorry to ruin your joke man... papaya sounds like the bomb though, haha!!

your advice is greatly appreciated(j303, you too man... great stuff!!!). im gonna use it and check dat shit out.. thanks guys!

#17 godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

its true, no drinking until your 21! :unsure:

#18 juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:06 AM

View Postgodzilla, on Nov 14 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

its true, no drinking until your 21! :D
FUCK!!! how do people cope with this??? i mean... fuck! that's a major downer.. i thought it was 18 at clubs like normal.. but damn. what do people do then, in weekends??? haha

#19 Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:24 AM

View Postjuta, on Nov 15 2006, 08:06 AM, said:

FUCK!!! how do people cope with this??? i mean... fuck! that's a major downer.. i thought it was 18 at clubs like normal.. but damn. what do people do then, in weekends??? haha

Laws Don't Stop Anyone

Just Find Someone That Looks Like You And Steal Their ID

Just Don't Gte Caught...
Felony Fake ID + Underage Drinking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users