132 replies to this topic

#1 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yes, they are pioneers and they have classics. But they have some of the worst and most inconsistent discography of all time.
All their classics were released in the 90s except for Supreme Clientele.
OB4CL2 is the only good Wu album that dropped during the 2000s
This shit needs to stop
As a group, Wu Tang has 1 classic album (36). As solo artists, they have like 5 classics (OB4CL, Supreme Clientele, Liquid Swords, and some I can't think of right now)

Yes, that's it. Out of all the albums they made, only a few are actually worth a listen. The Wu is nowhere top 5 when it comes to hip hop groups.

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I can't really argue with TrollKing on this one. But for all you hardcore Wu fans with W's tatted on your arms (one of my homies has a W, a GZA G, and a Killer Bee on top of a W; all on the same forearm...) please resist the temptation to lay into TrollKing because he is only a Troll. His objective is not to encourage discussion only to incite Internet flame wars. I know most of y'all know this about him by now but for the newbies I just had to say it.

I highly encourage turning the tables on TrollKing and making this into a 'Underrated Wu Bangers' thread.
  • Shadeprint likes this

#3 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Posted Image

#4 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Perfect on the verses and workmanlike on the beats. How can ou not go through the Wu Samples and be amazed given no one was doing any of that in that time period.

UGOD and Inspektah Deck were amazing and it is hard to say that they are even in the top four of the group. Capadonna was no slouch: they made something real from something that barely was; it was like Wrestling entertainment with some socially significant value. Yes, Rae is making weird choices and maybe was not as bright as the rest. Ghost's flow can sometimes suffer from sounding tired. Meth used to get too drunk to make any sense. Rza was could be shady.

Can't fuck with GZA. ODB could have been one of the best all time MCS and was a conduit for "the real" that channeled through him. RZA behind a mic is proven--can't say that about many producers.

20 years on and those joints are golden. Go listen to Snoop Lion or gay dre then.

#5 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

^^^ so tell me then what are the other great albums wu tang made that i dont list ?

#6 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yes, they are pioneers and they have classics. But they have some of the worst and most inconsistent discography of all time.
All their classics were released in the 90s except for Supreme Clientele.
OB4CL2 is the only good Wu album that dropped during the 2000s
This shit needs to stop
As a group, Wu Tang has 1 classic album (36). As solo artists, they have like 5 classics (OB4CL, Supreme Clientele, Liquid Swords, and some I can't think of right now)

Yes, that's it. Out of all the albums they made, only a few are actually worth a listen. The Wu is nowhere top 5 when it comes to hip hop groups.

So who are your top 5 hip-hop groups and where does wu tang fall on your list?

#7 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Like most popular rap groups of the 90s, their sounds fell RIGHT OFF, the stage of expectable music, into the 2000s. I think it had to do with sampling laws. When they stopped sampling crusty vinyl, their sounds got lame. Not to mention most producers are not musicians. so.

#8 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

^^^^^^^^^

I totally agree with this, but I think I read some where that Rza cut back on the sampling because some dude outside a music store told him he was killing music and what he was doing wasn't real music, which is mad whack if it is true.

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with.
  • Crystal Joker and HUNGRYMAN like this

#10 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

^^^ so tell me then what are the other great albums wu tang made that i dont list ?

Wait you're from Europe?

Anyway...

I applaud you for recognizing the albums you did but off the top:

1. Wu Tang Forever cannot be beat;
2. Meth Tical (though can sound a bit dated admittedly)
3. ODB Return to the 36
4. Ghost-Fishscale (maybe the last)
5. Masta Killa- No said date
6. Orig. 36 Chambers
7. The W
8. Iron Flag
9. U God Golden Arms Redemption

As for late nineties and early 2000s RZA appropriately fucked with some Southern producers and other musicians--I think there were features with Outkast/Pfunk and S. Lion and--it was a different sound, but not bad at all. The rest of the early nineties work did suffer from that clubby banger beat that people were trying to make: it can be heard specifically on Ghost's album.

Nice troll by the way.

#11 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

So who are your top 5 hip-hop groups and where does wu tang fall on your list?

Public Enemy
Ultramagnetic MC's
D.I.T.C
Boogie Down Productions
Brand Nubian
Company Flow
Cypress Hill

#12 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

You named some interesting Groups. I would say that Ultramagnetic and Brand Nubian do hit that top five or so radar personally.
I had to look up D.I.T.C. but do they count? No.

#13 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Never really considered D.I.T.C a "group" per se

#14 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Brand Nubian over the Wu Tang??! Sir, I demand satisfaction. Company Flow over Wu Tang??! Gonna puke. The only ones who have a chance in that category, but do not win, IMO, are Cypress and Public Enemy. Wu dropped at least a half dozen, beginning to end classics. Who else done that?
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#15 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Why wouldn't y'all count D.I.T.C, they did release projects as a group.

@BroKing So I'm assuming that Wu tang would be number 8 on your list or something? I can respect that list, not exactly what I would've choose, but I can respect that.

I think the reason Wu tang gets so much credit is because of the impact it had on hip-hop in the early 90s. I think a lot of people would give the credit to them for bringing a lot of attention back to the east coast after NWA had shifted a lot of the attention to the west.

#16 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Also, the Wu, were the first to start the whole featuring thing. Before that, guest spots were rare. Now they are normal, even over done. Also, I think the RZA was the first to really sample vocals and pitch them up. Something that is now pretty common too. So, IMO, the Wu are not overrated, they were a pivotal player in the golden era.

#17 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

I would also like to point out that a lot of the points you brought up about the Wu having all their classic in the 90s and inconsistent discography can also be said about many of the groups you mentioned.

Also cats like Ghostface are still making music that dudes in the hip-hop community can get excited about, how many of the guys from the groups you mentioned can make that claim?

#18 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

I would not say that Wu had a stable of artists being featured on joints, really. They did bring in artists to feature with them.

But, I think if a producer had a hand in having artists featured on his tracks it was not really RZA. The feature was being utilizied in late eighties.

I do think that the RZA was first to do the pitch and speed thing. Kanye benefitted off of this even though that jocking was not even his idea.

#19 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

I would not say that Wu had a stable of artists being featured on joints, really. They did bring in artists to feature with them.

But, I think if a producer had a hand in having artists featured on his tracks it was not really RZA. The feature was being utilizied in late eighties.

I do think that the RZA was first to do the pitch and speed thing. Kanye benefitted off of this even though that jocking was not even his idea.

Who was doing the feature thing?

#20 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

P.Paul pretty sure Flash and Marley Marl.

#21 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Prince Paul?
Wha?

#22 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Also, the Wu, were the first to start the whole featuring thing. Before that, guest spots were rare. Now they are normal, even over done. Also, I think the RZA was the first to really sample vocals and pitch them up. Something that is now pretty common too. So, IMO, the Wu are not overrated, they were a pivotal player in the golden era.

lol wu started the whole featuring thing ?? log off boy

#23 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Dude,
Who started doing features, like half the albums worth? This song featuring, featuring. Yah, they were all Wu members, but were on the solo albums, and were credited as features. But who and I am thinking no one in hip hop, or music for that matter, had features all thru out the album. No one.

Only features I can think of pre Wu are, Brand Nubian on the Business (Tribe, Low End Theory). Q - Tip on Groove Is In The Heart. Tribe and De La on Buddy. But no one had an album littered with features. Now a days, every rapper and pop artist for that matter has this song, featuring.,, blah blah blah.

For reals boy.

Name some up Troll King.

#24 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

i dont see featers on the 36 chamber ??

dr dre - the chronic have allot of features on it and thats is from 1992

#25 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

True, The Chronic had a ton of features (so did Doggy Style). But the Wu, made a habit of it. Anyhow, no features on 36 Chambers since it was a group album.

#26 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Nah....

The Wu was/is very important to hip-hop...

Just the Rza alone...he brought back (along w/Mobb Deep) that east coast grime....the West had that shit on lock for a minute....

Shit...without Rza...would we even have Madlib (watch the Red Bull interview) ?

Rae and Ghost created a whole new language...that slingin shit...everybody up north started to talk like that...changin your name up to some Italian Mafia shit...

Too many dope albums...songs...videos...clothing...

Nah...Im gonna have to disagree...

• D'MosPhree likes this

#27 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Only features I can think of pre Wu are, Brand Nubian on the Business (Tribe, Low End Theory). Q - Tip on Groove Is In The Heart. Tribe and De La on Buddy. But no one had an album littered with features. Now a days, every rapper and pop artist for that matter has this song, featuring.,, blah blah blah.

For reals boy.

Name some up Troll King.

Thats why I name checked the producer that I did. For a while Q was on everything. Are you forgetting a certain someone on 3rd Bass? No reason to argue over these points, though.

BTW is saying "wha?" a black thing or is that just hip for an agegroup. I am kind of out of the young dude lingo. lol.

#28 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Nah....

The Wu was/is very important to hip-hop...

Just the Rza alone...he brought back (along w/Mobb Deep) that east coast grime....the West had that shit on lock for a minute....

Shit...without Rza...would we even have Madlib (watch the Red Bull interview) ?

Rae and Ghost created a whole new language...that slingin shit...everybody up north started to talk like that...changin your name up to some Italian Mafia shit...

Too many dope albums...songs...videos...clothing...

Nah...Im gonna have to disagree...

wu clothing sucks that shit was never hot in the streets and only video that is dope is gravel pit

#29 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

There were many cool videos.

#30 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thats why I name checked the producer that I did. For a while Q was on everything. Are you forgetting a certain someone on 3rd Bass? No reason to argue over these points, though.

BTW is saying "wha?" a black thing or is that just hip for an agegroup. I am kind of out of the young dude lingo. lol.

It's like "wha happoned?"
Use in extreme cases only.

3rd bass had Zev Love X on the the Gas Face, but again, thier albums weren't featuring, featuring featuring, etc.

wu clothing sucks that shit was never hot in the streets and only video that is dope is gravel pit

You think the only good Wu video is Gravel Pit??! Yikes. Lets see, CREAM, Can It All Be So Simple, Shimmy Shimmy Yah, Bring The Pain!!' C'mon son.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)