11 replies to this topic

#1 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Question, did Dilla leave Slum Village just because he thought he could do more on his own? Wikipedia is unclear.

#2 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:My Ganja, Oranges, Coffee
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/head-jamz

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I think it was because of creative differences cuz he talks about baatin wasn't stayin with the theme of the songs they were making he says it in an interview I think but thats what I think went down just creative differences.

#3 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

http://www.xxlmag.co...w-circa-2004/1/

J Dilla: Nah, I mean I show my crew love but as far as moving on that was like the best thing I could ever have done. It was like I said, the business situation where you not clickin’ creatively and things like that… Niggas is on some grown man shit. Some niggas wanna eat garlic on the tour bus and some niggas ain’t like that shit. You gotta deal with that shit… Sometimes that friction is a lil too much to handle and I was glad that I was able to walk away before ill shit went down like fighting with niggas on some crazy shit. Like I seen from Pharcyde to Tribe to all that shit, you being able to see that shit behind the scenes… I saw that shit about to happen and that’s exactly the path that we were on. From our crazy arguments.

Like, every time I come to the crib it’s like I had a relationship with a woman because every time I got to the crib from being out of town I get a call like, “Yo, we gotta talk.” I’m like, “I only here that when I’m with my girl and shit. It’s about to go down.” That’s the vibe I was feelin’ from them like, “Yo, you out there doing that shit but what about us?” It wasn’t like that. I was out there… Even how I got with Tip was shopping the Slum Village demo. I’ve always been on Slum Village shit, they didn’t understand that while I was out there doing beats for people I would play these Slum Village tapes and get laughed at. I mean nobody took that shit serious. So to see shit actually do something with “Tainted” actually gettin’ a buzz other than Cali and New York and shit like that and get that kinda support, I was actually happy. People thought I was gonna be upset about it. I don’t know. Like I said that’s still my dawgs.

Geechie Loves Garlic

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Mangoes loves garlic too. Thanks negroes.

#5 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,916 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

I’ve always been on Slum Village shit, they didn’t understand that while I was out there doing beats for people I would play these Slum Village tapes and get laughed at. I mean nobody took that shit serious.

This sentence is so funny to me. Nowadays you have dudes like ?uestlove on Jay Dee's dick so hard they try to tell the history like SV was always on 'that shit!!' but The Roots were probably some of those dudes laughing at the demo...
  • GC90 and TeefSweat like this

#6 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:The Universe

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

This sentence is so funny to me. Nowadays you have dudes like ?uestlove on Jay Dee's dick so hard they try to tell the history like SV was always on 'that shit!!' but The Roots were probably some of those dudes laughing at the demo...

Exactly. 20/20 hindsight. Fan-Tas-Tic (Vol. 1) is a masterpiece, but I'm not sure Hip-Hop fans of that time really appreciated it. Wikipedia says it was record in 1996-1997; I don't know how accurate this is, but the thought of SV making the music they were making at a time when what was making money sounded nothing like what they were creating, is amazing - - you have to respect that vision and love.

It's an interesting phenomenon b/c there are artists right now struggling creatively or financially who aren't getting much attention, but will many years from now.

#7 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Watched this interview for the first time yesterday. SV is discussed among other things in this segment:

#8 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I remember reading an article in "Life Sucks Die" about "Fantastic" and they were talking shit about how Slum Village sounded just like The Nonce. It was supposed to be a diss, but The Nonce had some dope shit, so I copped it. I dug it, but I had a LOT of friends that didn't because they thought Dilla ruined Tribe's sound on the last 2 LPs. (side note... there are a lot of Dilla revisionist history cats that say they were down from day one, but dissed the phawk out of him for the above mentioned Tribe productions.)
  • DJ Pete Marriott likes this

#9 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I remember reading an article in "Life Sucks Die" about "Fantastic" and they were talking shit about how Slum Village sounded just like The Nonce. It was supposed to be a diss, but The Nonce had some dope shit, so I copped it. I dug it, but I had a LOT of friends that didn't because they thought Dilla ruined Tribe's sound on the last 2 LPs. (side note... there are a lot of Dilla revisionist history cats that say they were down from day one, but dissed the phawk out of him for the above mentioned Tribe productions.)

Beats Rhymes and Life was a kick in the nuts for many of my friends in 1996. They didn't get the filtered Rhodes and sub bass sound over the hard hitting drums which ironically was done very heavy two years earlier on Eric Sermon's Double or Nothing album which was a huge record in the streets of New York back in 1994. Also BR&L had a smaller room size compared to Midnight Marauders which has a bigger than life lush mix. It was a departure from an album that everyone at the time hoped to hear more material like and plus they had consequence on there and that threw people off too because it was like "Yo? Who the fuck is this dude and where the fuck he come from?"

Dilla didn't fuck up BR&L he actually saved it.

#10 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Watched this interview for the first time yesterday. SV is discussed among other things in this segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKGm3wc3qOE&

I've probably watched this interview 20x. He cleared up so many of the controversies that were hounding his name at the time.

they thought Dilla ruined Tribe's sound on the last 2 LPs

Everyone has a right to an opinion. That said, even as a Tribe fan, Dilla brought me to ATCQ's last two LP's.

I'm curious to know if those that feel The Ummah (Jay Dee's involvement) compromised ATCQ's sound, take into account the beef Q-Tip and all these guys were going through. I would say more than anything, that's what affected the quality of their sound but I'm not sure exactly when these aforementioned problems manifested...

I love Dilla's whole body of work. He's not immune to weak points, but his production or vocal credit DEFINITELY gave credence to A LOT of songs, albums, and artists; he immortalized anyone he ever worked with.

#11 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I was just saying what a lot of cats at the time were saying. De La did "Stakes Is High" and the change was refreshing to a lot of listeners, but when Tribe dropped "Beats, Rhymes & Life" around the same time, people thought it was TOO different and didn't like it. I knew PLENTY of cats that didn't want to hear anything from SV because of the last two Tribe LPs. And a lot of these cats now say they were down from the jump so they can have the cool points for liking him before people started getting into him.

#12 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

And a lot of these cats now say they were down from the jump so they can have the cool points for liking him before people started getting into him.

I agree w/ you on that point. Unfortunately, that's the case w/ a lot, if not every, somewhat successful or legendary artist that ever created anything for consumption.

Anyone know, more or less, when ATCQ started beefing?

Side Note: The Ummah had to be one of the most talented and diverse production teams Hip-Hop has ever seen: Dilla, Tip, and Ali Shaheed!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users