• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
SubBass49

STMB Beat Battle #42

80 posts in this topic

In case ya'll didn't see it in the voting thread, Bill won with 8 votes...tie for second place with Bill Collector and Wig Master (3 each).

So keep your eyes peeled here for the sample from Bill. If he doesn't post one in a timely manner, Wig Master & Bill Collector can come through and post theirs.

Remember...the battle starts today...but don't post your beats until Friday (unless there's a reason you won't be able to post 'em then).

Bill will post any special rules about this week's battle when he posts up the sample...

Bill - Here's the link to upload your track(s) to jayred's site: Upload

someone link me the rules?

Typically it's something like this:

Open drums...

Limited synth...

Limited vocal samples & cuts/scratches...

Post your beats on FRIDAY (not before) unless you have a really good reason to post early...

Post on Myspace or Soundclick so people dont hafta download your beats...

Ok thanks jb.....

i wasnt thinking i would win this week, i thought there was some better than mine, wigmaster for example.....good standard here at the moment though, a good turnout too...must be the cold winter months. thanks to everyone that voted and took part anyway, heres this weeks sample:

Singers Unlimited - Weve Only Just Begun

For any new people, heres the RULES:

1.battle starts today(sunday) download the sample, chop it, pitch it, do whatever you want to it, but incorporate it into your track in some way.

2.use any beats/percussion of your choice

3.synths are ok for a bassline or strings for example, but dont go over the top

4.scratches/small speeches/comedy noises whatever are allowed, again dont go over the top

5. upload your finished tune on your myspace or whatever anytime on friday 7th december and post the link here in this beat battle 42 thread.

thanks to jayred again on the hosting, and to matt i think it was in the last thread - filters on that was the northpole vst plugin.

I just google the number and check out whatever wikipedia page shows up...lol...

Anyone know where this week's sidenote comes from (without googling it)?

Word up!

I'm in this week for sure.

"dododo dodo do do..."

Dur...

HHGTTG

Hehe, it's like getting your brain smashed in by a slice of lemon....

...wrapped around a large gold brick.

man... having a tough time with this one for some reason.

bill, didn't you pick singers unlimited a while back ('it could happen')?

hhgttg was the first book i ever read start to finish, very cool book.

Ah yes, well reminded wig, i couldnt remember if i had or not.....sorry bout that, i have got an overload of vocal harmony stuff im afraid, i love it.....it was a choice between singers unlimited, raw silk or les blue stars.....the singers unlimited just had abit of a christmas atmosphere thats all.........im sure you can pull something out the bag with it. :mellow:

"dododo dodo do do..."

Hopefully or beats don't end up sounding the same. I've had that happen before in a battle. We chopped the sam eexact parts or something?? I don't remember?

But YES. I finally will be in on a battle! I haven't been in a battle since we were around the 20's I think??

Anyhooters, looking forward to what everyone else came up with

THANK BOB FOR DAYS OFF!

i started to make one using the given samples but ended up using some funkadelic samples and it turned int osomething totally different.

not sure if i'll enter it..

good stuff

im going to amsterdam be back next thursday

enjoy the sex & drugs

thanks man...i didnt even have time to finish it, but i havnt posted anything for so long that i thought i should still post it..

ill go enjoy that now..

have got an overload of vocal harmony stuff im afraid, i love it

I can see that...

you seem like to use filters

and vocal stuff sounds real nice

with filters.

for sure, i do love the sound, slum village 'players' had a massive effect...i think someone could still do a nice hip hop style themed around vocal harmony......i hear flylo using those same style vocal harmony samples as dilla did too....'massage situation' for example......'players' always has a christmas atmosphere when i hear it somehow ha, theres something real natural about vocal harmony, its like real nice chords on a synth but made of voices, with no electricity.

for sure, i do love the sound, slum village 'players' had a massive effect...i think someone could still do a nice hip hop style themed around vocal harmony......i hear flylo using those same style vocal harmony samples as dilla did too....'massage situation' for example......'players' always has a christmas atmosphere when i hear it somehow ha, theres something real natural about vocal harmony, its like real nice chords on a synth but made of voices, with no electricity.

HAHAH!

Funny story about that:

A while back I asked FlyLo if he sampled "-----------" by "-------" for Message Situation and he kind of just ignored me

I know how some people are about that, but damn! I could have atleast got an "Oh, uuhhh, I DON'T KNOW??"

for sure, i do love the sound,

One thing I'm digging about this particular selection is how these whispers and background breaths really come through when you start to study individual chops or pieces of the track. I didn't even hear them until I spent some time listening to individual parts that I'm fucking with.

There is a ton of shit going on on this track, it's tight.

Yo!

Here's my entry.

I had to get it up now because Friday's are those days i'm usually out and about, you know?

Anyways, the beat really isn't much. I seriously could have did more, but it didn't feel too right stepping out of my comfort zone. I've been doing "dark" type of tracks lately so... ?

I'll see what everyone else comes up with when I come back home on my break tomorrow morning or when I com ehome Friday night/Saturday.

zombie_santa.gif

First track on the page....

Had to go with that Hitch Hikers Guide theme. I really had fun with this one. I tried to make sure it wouldn't run the risk of sounding like other people's shit. We'll see how that pans out. Heads up, there are a number of change up's throughout the track, so don't give up on it too early.

Enjoy.

It's cool i put it on Box

HERE

Listening now. It's tight so far. It kinda' has this crazy cowboy/western theme to it. I like the bass, too, it's got bounce.