Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EdTheYounger

Do you always layer?

13 posts in this topic

Just a curious question... I was making a beat tonight and the sample I had chosen to work with was pretty complex. It had piano, guitar and some horns all in one. After I chopped it up, rearranged it on the pads laid some bass, drums, eq and Fx it sounded pretty dam nice (as a 1-2 demo minute beat) but then I had the thought that I NEEDED to layer something else in there otherwise I would be cheating lol. Maybe because it only took me like 45 minutes...

Anyone ever feel like this? or finish beats without adding anything but drums and bass?

Usually means you nailed it and it doesn't need anymore, and yeah I layer all day long, 6-7 kicks, same with snares.

1 person likes this

Usually means you nailed it and it doesn't need anymore, and yeah I layer all day long, 6-7 kicks, same with snares.

Yeah I layered drums. Was talking more just about the main sample selection.

...honey on my peanutbutter ... on my toast every morning... if it taste good it taste good ;)

you know ed if a sample is just to damn nice i never ad a new random layer,maybe only layer that loop to let the ,sax,guitar or whatever bounce up a lil bit you feel me,some samples are just diamants already,our job is to pull out the catchy melodies and start rearanging

1 person likes this

Yeah I layered drums. Was talking more just about the main sample selection.

So was I man, take a loop with drums in it and in instruments then layer my layered drums over etc, like Nella said though use it when it's needed.

1 person likes this

So was I man, take a loop with drums in it and in instruments then layer my layered drums over etc, like Nella said though use it when it's needed.

Oh right now I get you :)

Yeah I've been focusing on the basics lately, pretty amazed at the results you can get with just a solid sample, heavy eq stacking, some layered drums and a bassline of course. Enjoying the minimalist approach :)

2 people like this

I usually have mad layers on my beats, but if it works out as just one solid layer, that's the way it goes. Shit, the beat I'm getting an MC on right now is only one layer. But it's deep within the layer, so it works for me.

a better question is, do you ever not layer?

^ Yeah I do all the time. But I don't mind those Roc Marci like beats where the chops and the samples speak for themselves.

1 person likes this

sometimes i rhyme slow sometimes i rhyme quick sometimes i layer up sometimes i stay a minimalist

When ever I feel the need to layer, I always think of Madlib. Dude almost never layers except maybe kicks and snares.

1 person likes this