• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
joust1

Blu - Good to Be Home

79 posts in this topic

Think it's his best effort.

Great cameos too.

Headnod Soul Doo Woop beats and samples. Think he's grown from the 8Bit Bleep Bloorp hand clap sound.

And pretty much the greatest album cover I've seen in some time.

Blu_GoodToBeHome_zps681fd162.jpg

1 person likes this

At work and having a panic attack, need to hear this now.

His recent London show fucking sucked. Dude was either high and/of drunk and didn't do much, Exile carried the whole set.

What's an example of his 8bit bleed bloorp stuff?

I just went back to no York recently, i was impressed! Shit was way better than I remembered. But yeah I'm super excited to check this one

Was listening to some of this the other day, sounded pretty good. Never been a fan of Blu's stuff outside of Exile's involvement, so was surprised with how good this one was sounding.

Looking frwd to checking the new one out, but got to say I really liked NoYork. Maybe a little "too much of everything" but lots of shit to bug out to on that album as far as I'm concerned. Especially the 'Ronald Morgan' joint w/ Edan over the Madlib flip... damn. Why so many of Blu's "fans" hate on him when he goes in a different direction? Like "he was so good on below the heavens its kind of hard to feel album from him that doesn't match that feeling" Anyway, on to the next one... sounding good so far.

slept on this dude for far too long.

and i dig the artwork...what is that, watercolor? who made it?

Why so many of Blu's "fans" hate on him when he goes in a different direction?

For me NoYork was alright, but it really felt like he was reaching towards what was more fashionable (especially with "Tags").

Obviously not speaking for all of his fans, but the reason I got into his music was because it had that 'Nu Soul Hip-Hop/Jazzy' feel/sound. I don't mind change, just the direction he seemed to want to go in was towards the more popular/mainstreamy stuff.

For someone who lives in LA the shit he raps about (Gage Ave Crips & Bloods vs. Light Skinned Female Vegetarians) shows signs of versatility in my mind.

Totally get what you're sayin, Shade. Good point. Cat came out with his little afro sea shell bracelets, now rocking LA Baseball caps talkin about driveby's.

But let's face it, that whole Neo Folk Rap phase is done to me, Foreign Exchange is running that sound into the ground IMO.

that whole Neo Folk Rap phase is done to me, Foreign Exchange is running that sound into the ground IMO.

I really hear what you're saying, I just sensed a lot of 'synthetic' change, as apposed to a natural artistic direction.

I actually really want to buy a physical copy of this album, with like...actual money...

That one flying lotus track on no york..... Fuck. That track fucking sucked. But the rest was supa dope. This albums dope from what I've been listening to so far but kinda boring.... Maybe I gotta warm up to it.

1 person likes this

This'll be the first solo Blu joint I cop. 50% is based purely on that amazing cover alone though.

3 people like this

Why do all of Blu's albums sound so terrible? Not the music itself, but the recording/mastering/mixing/whatever. I feel like I'd really enjoy his stuff if it wasn't physically uncomfortable to listen to. Is it just me? Do I have ear problems?

no, it does sound pretty shitty. i dunno i'm not really sure why though....some banger beats on it but still....i like it for like a C+ overall

Yeah mastering on this is too sharp lot of high end that hurts, gives me idea what Madlib, Med and Blu will kind of sound like album wise though, it's way different Blu than the one with Exile, doesn't feel like a jump in affair, bit of a slow burner.

I wonder how Blu would fair in a fist fight, most of my favorite artists seem like the type of person I wouldn't mind fighting.

Interesting really thinking about it, I wouldn't want to fight Priest or GFKillah, I think they'd be kinda overboard, really looking to fuck me up, Jonwayne seems like a tough fucker too, but I'd fight him, I reckon if he knocked me out, he wouldn't kick the limp body or anything.

I wonder how Blu would fair in a fist fight, most of my favorite artists seem like the type of person I wouldn't mind fighting.

Interesting really thinking about it, I wouldn't want to fight Priest or GFKillah, I think they'd be kinda overboard, really looking to fuck me up, Jonwayne seems like a tough fucker too, but I'd fight him, I reckon if he knocked me out, he wouldn't kick the limp body or anything.

Well he's pretty tall, pretty well built, considering his lyrical content, I'd say he would probably give you a raised eyebrow look of, "Why the fuck you wanna fight" then bam, you wake up in hospital pulling shards of an MPC2000XL out of your head, due to Exile sneaking up behind you when you weren't looking. He does have a, don't fuck with him vibe when you meet him in person, lovely lad, but I don't think he takes shit. ;)

I wanna see Exile fight El-P.

2 people like this

this thread is turning into Celebrity Deathmatch...

2 people like this

Blu needs to hire a better engineer dawg .

1 person likes this

I'm sure his pocketbook disagrees; hence all the shitty recording sessions.

Blu makes his albums low quality on purpose. I don't know what his deal is. But he makes some dope material whatever the case.