• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  

94 posts in this topic

8e0lg.gif

Here's the sample! http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/76626829/file.html

RULES:
1. outside bass - YES
2. outside drums - GOD YES (but breakbeats are illegal, by popular demand)
3. outside keys/synth - SURE WHY NOT
4. acapellas/outside samples ok
5. time limit: 90 seconds
6. YOU MUST MAKE A MONOPHONIC BEAT.
That is to say at any given moment, only one sound is playing. Imagine you're using a DAW with only one track to fit every sound on. So no layering, just a straight line all the way through. Whatever method you come up with to actually achieve this is the right one.

Caveats:
1) Any snippet of this week's sample counts as one sound regardless of what's going on in that chop.
2)
BREAKBEATS ARE ILLEGAL NOW Authentic breakbeats (taken from another song's breakdown) are a grey area since they're composed of overlapping sounds. But they're awesome, so they're allowed.

3) My use of "monophonic" is not as the opposite of "stereophonic". It can still be in stereo, panned crazily, etc. Each moment only has room for one sound, however. HOW GODDAMN ZEN, probably. I don't know from zen.

To answer your questions as they've come up:

1) Single synth notes are fine, chords are not.

2) FX are totally fine, just not in a way that breaks rule 6. So like.. sidechain good. Delay bad.

3) Grifty and Birddrop wanted to layer an acapella over an otherwise monophonic beat. It sounds so nice that I'm allowing it. You have the option of including your acapella in the single-sound system, or layering it on top. Acapellas only though.

Thank you again for your votes. Hope you're not sorry now. I have total faith in yall.

Post your beat to the STMB Page - by Wednesday at Midnight NYC time

Vote - by Friday at Midnight NYC time
Winner - post new sample, rules, etc - by Saturday Noon NYC time and upload the sample here:
http://www.zippyshare.com

wow this going to be really difficult.

I will wait for the first audio entry.
So i can get a idea and to get the complete picture.

Btw Congratz Breakmastercylinder

...Felicitations BMC! ...Hahaha..you did warn us there would be crazy rules if you won! ;)...

Found this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmctnwoe

...Oh boy... this is gonna take some doing, making s'thing worth listening to!

...edit: so to get things clear... when you have drums or a bassline or an acapella playing you can not have a melody playing at the same time?

..edit 2: so may reverb and delay overlap?

...I think it would get better results (from a listening pov) if the drums were to be seperated from the monophonic rule... ?

...Still tryin'to get my head around the idea of litterally only hearing one sound at a time! :blink:

...edit: sample is dope!.. lotta potential!

IMO is the monophonic rule just bad...
I can understand why a lot of you guys don't want to allow synths/keys on the flips.
But.... no layering? Especially with an 'empty' sample like this one?
I think the sample is quite good for a flip but not with this rule.
I'm expecting that the quality of the few submissions will not be that good.
Just an assumption, I can be tooootally wrong...

How can a breakbeat be a grey area? It should be really really illegal. But I agree with fleat. Its a fun rule but too hardcore for most. And with the loophole you made, its likely that nearly everyone will use a breakbeat anyway.

I think either the drums should be excluded from the monophonic rule or breakbeats shouldnt be allowed

Edited by heggemon

...well it's no big deal to make drums without overlapping sounds... thing is: that would be the only thing playing at that time...

...no other sounds allowed at the same time... insert sounds in the spaces between the hits with reverb and/or delay to stretch'em out?

...that still would mean sound would overlap...

I really like the rule this week. It'll require quite a bit of work to pull off, but I'm certain that most everyone here could make something dope with this rule set still.

Good morning!

...well it's no big deal to make drums without overlapping sounds... thing is: that would be the only thing playing at that time...

...no other sounds allowed at the same time... insert sounds in the spaces between the hits with reverb and/or delay to stretch'em out?

...that still would mean sound would overlap...

The reverb/delay thing is a good point. Maybe we should get rid of them - you could still manually make something sound delayed, just by repeating it later, slightly softer, right?

How can a breakbeat be a grey area? It should be really really illegal. But I agree with fleat. Its a fun rule but too hardcore for most. And with the loophole you made, its likely that nearly everyone will use a breakbeat anyway.

I think either the drums should be excluded from the monophonic rule or breakbeats shouldnt be allowed

Sounds good. Breakbeats are verboten now.

IMO is the monophonic rule just bad...
I can understand why a lot of you guys don't want to allow synths/keys on the flips.
But.... no layering? Especially with an 'empty' sample like this one?
I think the sample is quite good for a flip but not with this rule.
I'm expecting that the quality of the few submissions will not be that good.
Just an assumption, I can be tooootally wrong...

You know, I agree with you. I have serious regret not just letting everyone go nuts with this sample because I really like it, but backing out now might keep us from something interesting. I'm happy to add keys back to the equation though - doesn't change too much.

...Felicitations BMC! ...Hahaha..you did warn us there would be crazy rules if you won! ;)...

Found this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmctnwoe

...Oh boy... this is gonna take some doing, making s'thing worth listening to!

...edit: so to get things clear... when you have drums or a bassline or an acapella playing you can not have a melody playing at the same time?

..edit 2: so may reverb and delay overlap?

You're correct - when any sound plays, it is only that sound. I can see how sidechaining a sidechain of a sidechain might make that work for you... or just tight chops.

I'm sorry to say I can't view that video :/

EDIT: synth is ok, breakbeats are illegal, don't use FX in a way that breaks rule 6.

I really like the rule this week. It'll require quite a bit of work to pull off, but I'm certain that most everyone here could make something dope with this rule set still.

Also thank you. I am blown away by how capable the people on this board are.

...okay..I think i've thought a strategy... see if I can make it work!

...It's your party BMC... enjoy it... it might be your last! ;)

...edit: Oh, the youtube link is not playing...?

...type: Musical Textures - Monophonic.... on youtube...hope it comes up! ..there's a good clue in there!

so does a beat juggle of the sample count as being monophonic (seeing as its technically one sound being used)?

so does a beat juggle of the sample count as being monophonic (seeing as its technically one sound being used)?

ya, that works.

the sample may have many things going on in it at any given moment, but it's always counted as one element.

...okay..I think i've thought a strategy... see if I can make it work!

...It's your party BMC... enjoy it... it's gonna be your last! ;)

...edit: Oh, the youtube link is not playing...?

...type: Musical Textures - Monophonic.... on youtube...hope it comes up! ..there's a good clue in there!

That's a good video!! Could sample the hell out of that, I reckon.

what if treat drums separate from melody . mono drum beat + mono sample/ bass/synth part

might yield better results.

So.... No drums can be playing at the same time as anything else?

That's a good video!! Could sample the hell out of that, I reckon.

...haha.. not for sampling... there's one little piece of info in there that might come in handy...

Awesome rule! MLRV would be good to use for this, or any sampler or midi controller with pads. I wish there was more rules like this. Also wish I didn't pawn my SP-202, I would've used it for this, I guess i'll just use my 404. Good luck everyone!

So.... No drums can be playing at the same time as anything else?

correct!

...haha.. not for sampling... there's one little piece of info in there that might come in handy...

oh yeah, gotcha. but also.. that guy summed it up nicely.

what if treat drums separate from melody . mono drum beat + mono sample/ bass/synth part

might yield better results.

you're totally right that it might, but let's stick with the original rule and see what happens.

Congrats on the win, breakmaster. well deserved ! Fire two weeks in a row.

I'm guessing u mean no (cut up) drumloops instead of no breakbeats ?

Congrats on the win, breakmaster. well deserved ! Fire two weeks in a row.

I'm guessing u mean no (cut up) drumloops instead of no breakbeats ?

Thanks Six!!!

Yes. Right. No drumloops.. although really you could extract lone sounds from a drum loop, as long as they're monophonic.

Anything you want to do, you have to use your judgement as to whether it violates rule #6.

1 person likes this

m ma ma

sidechained drums to sample, so everytime the drums hit it mutes out the sample, then sidechained bass over everything, so when bass plays it mutes everything.

6 people like this

That was fun! here's mine (forgive me if some sounds overlap)

m ma ma

sidechained drums to sample, so everytime the drums hit it mutes out the sample, then sidechained bass over everything, so when bass plays it mutes everything.

i was thinking the same thing Jondis lol. just sidechain, using a gate or something like that, but he said no fx. would that be considered using fx?

ima try to take on this challenge, i assume all the beats will come out choppy like Jondis. good rule in my opinion, gonna be difficult to make a dope sounding beat with that rule.

You say keys are OK, but um, what about playing chords? Is that OK

Found this one tricky with the rules!

Heres mine, all sounds from the sample except an additional kick.

2 people like this