• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zmister

Rap Album 1

80 posts in this topic

Listening to Rap Album 1 (of 3) on the turntable. Drinkin up dat lyricism. Sorry for the pressure JW, it was worth the wait. You still got it. So far, Black Magic, Find Me in the Future, After the Calm, How to Be a Gemini, all frontrunners, but gotta absorb it all. It's a little on the short side, but considering the Cassettes that's understandable/forgivable. Don't know why, but this album is making me wish he would collaborate with Count Bass D. JW has proven himself a valuable asset to the ST roster.

And gotta give it up to JJ for yet another great design.

Now gotta go toss the MV tape in the cassette deck.

1 person likes this

Stonesthrow Torrent hounds need to get on it, it's all over the place, ( I don't mean download it I mean block it) got to but that Ish !! It would piss me off if I woke up to see my album uploaded as a torrent.

3 people like this

He looks like Roy "Big Country" Nelson on today's announcement..

2 people like this

Stonesthrow Torrent hounds need to get on it, it's all over the place, ( I don't mean download it I mean block it) got to but that Ish !! It would piss me off if I woke up to see my album uploaded as a torrent.

Should let the Torrent sites know that the guy below is pissed! RoyNelson_Headshot.png
3 people like this

Anyone got any initial reactions? Havent bought it yet, but I'm wondering if yall are digging it

Listening now for the first time. Halfway through. If you like Jon Wayne..... this is the best shit he has ever made!!

1 person likes this

i kinda wish the whole album was more cohesive...it seems like Wayniac is trying to stick his giant fingers in a lot of different pies, and please everybody in the hip-hop community-- but i really wasn't vibing very much at first listen to the tracks that were trying to depart from his usual forté. i get where he's trying to go with a lot of the tracks, but they just seem like sonic experiments that are very polarizing to me.

my favorite tracks are the ones where Scoop DeVille handles the production, and it's just straight up loops under his rhymes...perhaps he should have tried departing from his usual lyrical style instead of his production skills. i would've loved to hear a conceptual Jonwayne rap that actually had a clear narrative in it; that's what i though "Black Magic" was at first with the line about the news reporter, but then it kinda just turned into Jon being Jon and rapping his typical braggadocios bars (which are obviously of high quality, but overall pretty lacking in terms of cohesion from start to finish and really having a central theme).

anyway, i liked the album-- just not all of the tracks on it...and i wish it was more cohesive and dare i say conceptual with some sort of story tying it all together. but i can also understand the pressure he's probably dealing with releasing a debut album on a semi-major label, so for that i think he did excellent. probably should just stick to his bread and butter, but for the most part he did his thing and he did it well.

1 person likes this

i dunno why people are lukewarm on dude's beats. i always thought his beats smacked hella fat. the instant i heard SNES synths and gangster ass piano chords put together i knew something had gone right

Finally listened to the album, it's fantastic. Def his best stuff yet, including those great tapes. The Scoop features on rap/beats were dope. As I've said somewhere else, I think Jonwayne's my favorite rep of the "new era" of ST, looking forward to more stuff in the future.

Need this on wax too, looks like they did an awesome job on the packaging.

Edit: If I only had one complaint, it's that the album is too short :(

1fPSgME.jpg

It must have been amazing to hang with Nocando and Milo, they seem like cool dudes. I really appreciate the LA rap scene.

Milo slept on the floor of my dorm room one night.... it was pretty chill

2 people like this

Milo's the shit.

but yeah, this album is definitely a grower...i'm liking it more and more with every listen-- even "Zeroh's Song" haha.

first listen, I was like nah... second listen, wow this is pretty good, what was a i thinking about first listen. It needs a few more spins before I can really chime in.

Not liking a rapper based on the way he looks?! I like my rappers to be fine!

Holy hell I wish I hadn't read most of those comments on the UGHH board.

it will grow on me ill re listen to it next october! pretty good album but not what i feel like listening to right now! most of the albums i love now were "meh" to me when i first listend!

lol @ miles davis looking like a crack head!

Probably not, JJ always borrows from classic designs. Check out PIL's Metal Box and compare it to the Operation: Doomsday box set for another example.

but do you think he was even aware of it to begin with?

let's get JJ on this thread to clear the air on this one...

Probably not, JJ always borrows from classic designs. Check out PIL's Metal Box and compare it to the Operation: Doomsday box set for another example.

Another one is Madvillainy. JJ is dope though, I like the way he does tribute older designs and stuff

I dont know what happened, i thought his 3rd tape was awesome.. this just is kinda meh. Some of the raps feel so weak and the album is too short

I dont know what happened, i thought his 3rd tape was awesome.. this just is kinda meh. Some of the raps feel so weak and the album is too short

that's cause all this stuff was from last year, that cassette #3 was made a couple months ago in a span of like 3 weeks. so chronologically, cassette #3 is a more recent project, and more closely related to the signature 'JW' sound that he's since mastered after his weird experiment of an album.

copped this album as soon as it dropped . played from start to end . maybe 2 songs got skipped during the first playthrough but that does not necessarily mean they were wack . just wasn't in the mood to listen to obscure shit . Scoop Deville does well on the beats he has on it . all round jonwayne stays sharp with the pen .