• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brain Damage

Help!

6 posts in this topic

Hi, so... I'm 16, and I will like to start making beats after a long time of thinking to do it, but I'm too "reserved, shy" and shit, so I never try to do it... So one day I just say "fuck this I'm getting older, and I love music, and I will love to do it" So like 3 weeks ago I started to do some piano lessons, cause I want to make beats and all that. So the main question is...

What machine I should use? I'm thinking that the Akai mpk49 is a good idea, cause it has the keyboard and the pads... but I don't know anything about making beats, so maybe someone in this forum make beats and all that and can help me... In what program I should use (Fl, Ableton, etc), What machine, all of that...

Thanks!

Pd: Sorry for the English...

I would suggest looking up the equipment and techniques of some of your favorite beat makers and start from there.

try out the fl studio demo. It lets you do everything except save projects. however you can save songs to mp3 and wav etc..

Fl supports the Mpk 49 however if your just beginning i recommend you get the mpk mini. its the same as the mpk49 but allot smaller and more basic. And it is cheap. try it first then if you like it get the mpk25 or 49. they are both the same except the mpk25 is cheaper and has less piano keys

good luck with piano lessons. However judging that you like this particular type of hip hop. Then you may want to learn to sample as well :)

You can download software demos and get a feel for which interface you prefer working in. There are a load of videos on YouTube to learn from that are free, it's just putting the time in to study the concepts of beat making.

For a machine, get something that is inexpensive, small, and has some keys/knobs/buttons for versatility. Like Tastik said, MPK25 or 49 would be a great piece of gear for beginners getting a feel for production.