• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mangoes Cash

Mayer for Mayor

14 posts in this topic

Anybody else feeling this new Mayer? Holy jeebers, boy has stepped it up on this one.

Sounds great!

Good work.

[soundcloud]

[/soundlcloud]

I actually haven't checked anything by Mr. Cohen since he left ST.

I'm impressed with what appears to be a big album budget.

"Her Favorite Song" is a cool pop song. Not much of the other stuff has clicked for me the way it did on his first record. I still hear "The Ills" and "Maybe So" being played in stores, restaurants. I respect that he's going for mass appeal and putting on a good show (from what I hear). Musically though, it's had the effect of his making him seem a little generic.

I'm impressed with what appears to be a big album budget.

"Her Favorite Song" is a cool pop song. Not much of the other stuff has clicked for me the way it did on his first record. I still hear "The Ills" and "Maybe So" being played in stores, restaurants. I respect that he's going for mass appeal and putting on a good show (from what I hear). Musically though, it's had the effect of his making him seem a little generic.

Really?!

You think, from that video and mp3 the sounds were generic? Wow. I guess we have different tastes. Mayer's first album I thought was kind of corny, but this to me is sounding real deep, dark and funky. Very mature music composition and production. I am not sure if mature is the word, but certainly well made.

Kudos!

my favorite album of the year with apocalypse by thundercat. allie jones, wine glass woman, her favorite song, corsican rose! all soo sick

Apocolypse is bonkers. Way better than the Golden Age. I was just comparing, the GAOTA sounds so childish, or immature in basic song writing structures and execution next to Apocolypse. Kudos to the FL and the Thundercat.

Funny they mentioned Steely Dan in that video. The album definitely sounds inspired by them to me.

1 person likes this

To be honest, I'm not feeling it that much. really wanted to like it, but after four listens i see it as a good, not great record. so far, nothing can top his st-debut

1 person likes this

"Her Favorite Song" is actually pretty damn good

So the Mayer's new album is steaming on NPR. Dude is tight. He is a solid producer in the traditional sense. He knows how to fuk wit gear to make a nice sound.

Funny they mentioned Steely Dan in that video. The album definitely sounds inspired by them to me.

Yeah, 'Backseat Lover' is dripping with the Steely Dan sound. I really like it. The other tracks show the influence as well, but more with Mayer's vocals than the instrumentation.

I'm really enjoying this album.

bought the record, just came in yesterday. hope this does well, he deserves it. the bonus tracks are rreally good as well